Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
    > You can map it as a network drive in Windows by using \\<DeviceName>\Internal

This is simply not working on my Pre3. I am getting the old "Unspecified error" from Windows as my explanantion. I do not see my phone on the network either by name or IP address. I think that is the explanation: it is not there so far as Windows is concerned. Presumably this means that Samba is not working.
    Where should smb.conf be, please? I cannot see it on my Pre3 filesystem anywhere obvious to me. Thanks.

I just tried using find but wTerm won't let me type punctuation characters. (It did earlier.)
    Last edited by elvispre; 02/22/2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: More info.
    Quote Originally Posted by elvispre View Post
    Where should smb.conf be, please? I cannot see it on my Pre3 filesystem anywhere obvious to me. Thanks.
    its already present when installed in /opt/etc/samba
  4.    #24  
    Actually smb.conf isn't generated on install of samba, a preconfigured one is added during the postinst of WiFi File Sharing. It's located in /opt/etc/samba/

I'm not sure what's going on with samba not working, it's been successfully tested on both Pre3 and Touchpad. Can you run the following in wTerm and post the results?
    /opt/sbin/nmbd -D
    /opt/sbin/smbd -D
    Thanks. smb.conf did not exist. Presumably because my Samba installation failed the first time.

Reran that installation just now; rebooted my Pre3 (necessary); mapped my new Public share by IP address...

It works! Yay!

Good work
  6.    #26  
    Good to hear you got it working, enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Actually smb.conf isn't generated on install of samba, a preconfigured one is added during the postinst of WiFi File Sharing. It's located in /opt/etc/samba/

I'm not sure what's going on with samba not working, it's been successfully tested on both Pre3 and Touchpad. Can you run the following in wTerm and post the results?
    /opt/sbin/nmbd -D
    /opt/sbin/smbd -D
    yeah i meant install of your ipk, shoulda expanded on that, but if your instructions were followed exactly there would have been a config file at the end of it all.
  8.    #28  
    Sounds about right I'll modify the postinst in the next version to make it create /opt/etc/samba before coping the conf. That should fix these errors. I'll also try creating an easy-install samba ipk to simplify things.

Update: 2012-02-25:
    I've completed the easy install ipk for Samba, find it in the OP!
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    geekpeter, sledge007 and p41m3r like this.
    ah awesome, just ran your app on both pre3 and touchpad, changed your entry for "Internal" to browseable = yes, then added each other with the enyo network drive mapper app, as long as i run your app and stick to my local fixed ip's, my pre3 can send/browse my touchpad directly and vise versa.

pretty handy, dont have to use the pc as a middle man, another win feature cheers.
    Is the 'Easy Samba.zip' file supposed to only be 1.6KB ?

I tried installing it via Quick Install and I got the following error:
    "ERROR: An error occourred while attempting to install com.shiftyaxel.easysamba_1.0.0_all.ipk
    Package dependencies not satisfied"

Do you still need the following, with the 'easysamba' IPK installer?
    Optware Bootstrap
    Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer
    Homebrew JSJSJS $Service$ $Framework$ ($This$ $is$ $already$ $installed$ $anyhow$)
    wTerm
    Last edited by Sanjay; 02/25/2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    After reading your post, I installed those packages you listed Sanjay, and installed both ipk's no problem.

Can't seem to figure out where to go from there, as it isn't showing.

edit: can see my TouchPad now, but yet to see my Veer.
    Last edited by sledge007; 02/27/2012 at 05:46 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Is the 'Easy Samba.zip' file supposed to only be 1.6KB ?

I tried installing it via Quick Install and I got the following error:
    "ERROR: An error occourred while attempting to install com.shiftyaxel.easysamba_1.0.0_all.ipk
    Package dependencies not satisfied"

Do you still need the following, with the 'easysamba' IPK installer?
    Optware Bootstrap
    Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer
    Homebrew JSJSJS $Service$ $Framework$ ($This$ $is$ $already$ $installed$ $anyhow$)
    wTerm
    m also getting the same error...u still facing the same probl? or already fixed it...pl help
    i installed both

WiFi File Sharing.zip (got it installed ..with no probl)
    Easy Samba.zip (getting the same error ..as posted by u..)
    what i shud do?
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    if you do everything in the op's original post in the exact order it should work, when installed, run the app, leave it onscreen, then the share should appear in your network, it only wont (on windows) if you have various dependancies/admin services not running or you have some overkill security programs running or winblows just feels off that day or..... or..... man i hate networking in "home edition" versions of winblows.
  14.    #34  
    You'll need to install the dependencies (Optware Bootstrap, Advanced Linux Command Line Installer) before Easy Samba will install, I was under the impression that it'd do that automatically. And yes, it's only meant to be a couple of kb, it's a script that runs the ipkg-opt stuff to install samba. Only problem being that it takes forever since samba is huge and it has to download it :/

Also, the current version won't work properly if you install WiFi File Sharing before Easy Samba, as it says in the OP. I'll fix that in the next version, but until then you'll have to reinstall in the correct order.
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 02/27/2012 at 06:22 AM.
    @ShiftyAxel i think i did in wrong order...since samba didn't install so i tried wifi sharing ..n it installed..then i tried dependencies..after that again i tried samba ..this time it installed but nothing worked..then i tried all wterm thing..then also nothing happened.. so i guess ORDER OF INSTALLATION IS VERY IMPORTANT....what i should do now....shall i uninstall all of them..restart ..install all again 1by1 in order
    OR
    i can uninstall samba and wifi ..restart..and then try installing samba n then wifi sharing ipk.... n i'll b good to go..
    @geekpeter
    i have no option buddy..but to live with windows/PC ..
  17.    #37  
    Just uninstall WiFi File Sharing and reinstall, it creates the preconfigured smb.conf during post-install. So long as you have Easy Samba installed (and thus it's dependencies) it should work fine. If the share still doesn't show up, try opening My Computer and using Map Network Drive to map \\Pre3\Public (if you're using a Pre3, otherwise it would be \\Touchpad\Public, \\Veer\Public, etc etc).

Also, next version is coming along nicely. I just finished writing the shell scripts for getting/setting values in smb.conf, so now it's just a matter of implementing it into the app.
    i tried mapping network drive..but cudn't do it..i'll wait for the next version...too bad for me..
  19.    #39  
    New version available, now with 96.5% more Wub Wub (and Preferences Menus). See OP!
    Also, anyone who doesn't read the instructions properly and carefully will be set on fire. Figuratively.
    That is all.

Oh, and @tovivekmishra, can you go to /opt/etc/samba in Internalz Pro and tell me what's in there? Should help with the diagnosis. Also what device/OS version are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I've knocked together an IPK for easy installation of Samba. Attached below. Install it with webOS Quick Install (Not Preware!
    What's the issue with Preware installation?

BTW, I note your control file does not have a Location: field in the Source: header, which is required for packages in the PreCentral feed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast