webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  TouchPad Patches > [App] [2.x & 3.x] WiFi File Sharing
[App] [2.x & 3.x] WiFi File Sharing
Like Tree44Likes

Old 12/14/2012, 03:32 AM   #361 (permalink)

Looks like a great app!

Can WFS be used to transfer files from Pre3 to TP? I don't have any PC or laptop having wi-fi capability available with me.
Old 12/26/2012, 06:26 PM   #362 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
[CENTER]WiFi File Sharing
Thanks for this helpful tool !

After many times using this app I ran into this human error and forgot to activate the WiFi connection and sure then WiFi File Sharing does not work.
I think it would be nice to either enable Wifi when starting this app or when configuring the file sharing to give a warning that Wifi connection is disabled.

The highlighted Wifi File Sharing icon makes you believe that everything is ok with the setup - but it is not.
MartinH@webos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 05:07 PM   #363 (permalink)

just wondering if this will set up a server connection to a WDTV Live Streaming Player to stream movies to the TV ...?? Easy Samba won't open and it does that on android ...rather use webOS if it can be done...
patapoof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/07/2013, 06:54 PM   #364 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
just wondering if this will set up a server connection to a WDTV Live Streaming Player to stream movies to the TV ...?? Easy Samba won't open and it does that on android ...rather use webOS if it can be done...
If the player supports samba, then it will work. Easy Samba isn't meant to be an open-able app, it installs the backend service that the webapp hooks into. If you can see the device on a PC with WiFi File Sharing open, then it's working correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH@webos View Post
Thanks for this helpful tool !

After many times using this app I ran into this human error and forgot to activate the WiFi connection and sure then WiFi File Sharing does not work.
I think it would be nice to either enable Wifi when starting this app or when configuring the file sharing to give a warning that Wifi connection is disabled.

The highlighted Wifi File Sharing icon makes you believe that everything is ok with the setup - but it is not.
Thanks for the feedback, it's unlikely that I'll be updating the existing version of the app, but I do still plan to rewrite it in Enyo2 for Open webOS (and 2.x/3.x) when I have the time, so I'll bear this suggestion in mind.
Old 03/13/2013, 02:20 AM   #365 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinder1958 View Post
I'm sorry. I realized I didn't explain very well.

I installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the various required files. When I click on Wifi File Transfer, the icon card appears and turns white, o I assume it is "on". Despite this, in Windows the Touchpad does not appear under Network (it used to as explained in my earlier post)

I hope this helps.

Mark
I'm using Windows XP, I can't get my PC to show the bloody phone, tried everything mapping adding connection waiting half an hour nothig shows up, I searched on this thread with "XP" as keyword and I realised no one is using XP anymore, does that mean this is not compatible with Windows XP maybe??

Last edited by crowning73; 04/18/2013 at 11:04 AM.
crowning73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2013, 11:04 AM   #366 (permalink)

I'm using Windows XP, I can't get my PC to show the bloody phone, tried everything mapping adding connection waiting half an hour nothig shows up, I searched on this thread with "XP" as keyword and I realised no one is using XP anymore, does that mean this is not compatible with Windows XP maybe??
Old 04/18/2013, 11:14 AM   #367 (permalink)

check your network settings and workgroup name, the samba settings on your webOS devices must match the workgroup name your windows xp is using, typically WORKGROUP is the default, sometimes MSHOME is also used on the windows side, or you may not be on a workgroup at all, so its worth checking your windows settings.

this apps default is WORKGROUP i think, to make sure, you can edit /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf to make sure or click PREFERENCES button, bottom right in the wifi sharing app, the current workgroup will be listed there along with device name/descriptions.

i also believe the workgroup name will be case sensitive, so type it correctly, typically full capitals is best.

you can try just entering \\TOUCHPAD\Public or \\PRE3\Public etc etc into my computers address bar or the ip address of your phone/touchpad, in my case \\192.168.0.10\Public ive used Public as a shared samba folder name, you can ofc use whatever you setup in the wifi sharing app or via manual editing of the smb.conf file.
Old 04/18/2013, 11:36 AM   #368 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
this apps default is WORKGROUP i think, to make sure, you can edit /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf to make sure or click PREFERENCES button, bottom right in the wifi sharing app, the current workgroup will be listed there along with device name/descriptions.
Yes, it's workgroup on the Pre. Then I also have a workgroup in the Microsoft Windows net.

Quote:
i also believe the workgroup name will be case sensitive, so type it correctly, typically full capitals is best.
Sorry type it where? It's already there both on the phone and the PC

Quote:
you can try just entering \\TOUCHPAD\Public or \\PRE3\Public etc etc into my computers address bar or the ip address of your phone/touchpad, in my case \\192.168.0.10\Public ive used Public as a shared samba folder name, you can ofc use whatever you setup in the wifi sharing app or via manual editing of the smb.conf file.
Typing stuff on the address bar does not lead me anywhere
Old 04/18/2013, 12:33 PM   #369 (permalink)

can you type CMD or COMMAND in start/run, and in the dos prompt try pinging the IP of your pre?

ie for me: ping 192.168.0.20

in a similar way, try pinging the XP machine from your pre using either terminal in webosquickinstall or wterm/xterm etc on the phone.

ie for me: ping 192.168.0.4

just to see that both devices do idd see each other on the network.
Old 04/18/2013, 12:44 PM   #370 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdesai View Post
Looks like a great app!

Can WFS be used to transfer files from Pre3 to TP? I don't have any PC or laptop having wi-fi capability available with me.
Hmm.. No answers yet?? Is there any way to use this fine app to transfer files between two webOS devices, without involving a PC?
Old 04/18/2013, 01:29 PM   #371 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdesai View Post
Hmm.. No answers yet?? Is there any way to use this fine app to transfer files between two webOS devices, without involving a PC?
NOTE: i believe for the below to work you also need (or used too) an Uberkernel type kernel which supports CIFS shares and the likes, i cant remember if this works on the stock kernel.

-----

yes once you have wifi sharing enabled on both devices you can use Enyo Network Drive Mapper on each device, this will create a folder in /media/internal/shares of your choosing, when you browse that folder with InternalZ or another file manager you will see the contents of the share in that folder as if it was a local folder.

Network Drives - Enyo Network Drive Mapper

go there and aquire version 1.0.2, install it and your good to go.

heres an example of a touchpad and pre both setup using wifi sharing and drive mapper.

EXAMPLE TOUCHPAD IP: 192.168.0.5
EXAMPLE PRE3 IP: 192.168.0.10

lets imagine your wifi sharing app on BOTH devices has been setup to share /media/internal/ the share name is likely to be Internal. If you already have wifi sharing working fine on both then we can skip the config/use of the wifi sharing app and just move onto configuring Drive Mapper.

In our example we first run drive mapper on the Touchpad, we click "ADD PROFILE", now enter a name for this share, its the Pre3 were making a shared link for so call it "Pre3-Share". Next field is DRIVE PATH, this will be the IP Address then share name we made on the pre3 so in this example we enter 192.168.0.10/Internal now in the MOUNT TO FOLDER box simply enter shares/pre3.

Its that easy, we dont need ANY other details, the other boxes are for usernames/passwords which typically will be for PC shares if they were setup, luckily we dont need them so click SAVE then simply click on the Pre3 entry, a spinner activates and the app looks for your share, if successful you get a TICK on the entry, if it didnt work, click the I/Info button and check your details are correct. (ofc the wifi app needs to be running on the pre3 or it will just fail)

If all was well, launch InternalZ, browse to /media/internal/shares, you should now see a "Pre3" folder, click in there and you should now see the contents of your Pre3's /media/internal folder.

If this works, you will be glad to know the reverse applies on the pre3, do exactly the same in Drive mapper on the pre3, only you change the IP to the touchpads address and ofc change all mention of Pre3 to Touchpad.
Old 04/19/2013, 02:16 AM   #372 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
can you type CMD or COMMAND in start/run, and in the dos prompt try pinging the IP of your pre?

ie for me: ping 192.168.0.20
I've done this, but I don't understand it, if there is someone who can explain to me in English for dumbs how this works I'd appreciate it. Can anyone confirm it is NOT a Windows XP issue that prevents me from seeing the phone on my PC?
Old 04/19/2013, 11:13 AM   #373 (permalink)

This app is clearly not working for me, and uploading files via cable messes up the phone database, is there another way to do it? Can't you FTP files on the Pre3?
Old 04/19/2013, 11:44 AM   #374 (permalink)

A ping is a test to see if two devices on a network can communicate with each other. When you ping your phone from your computer, you're testing to see if your computer 'sees' your phone, and if your phone 'replies' back. If when you do this, you get a result back like 'request timed out', then the two can't talk to each other for some reason.

Be sure to have the WiFi Sharing App open before you try pinging (it shouldn't matter, but just to be sure that once you have a connection that you can begin trying to transfer files). You could also try to use the My Network icon on your computer to see if you can find your phone on your Windows network to transfer files. That will allow you to see any devices on your network that are shared and able to communicate with Windows.
rthonpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/19/2013, 12:48 PM   #375 (permalink)

the next suspect tends to be firewalls/security programs intefering with your network, esp amazingly bad programs that stick their fingers in far too much like norton/mcaffee.
Old 04/22/2013, 02:12 PM   #376 (permalink)

I have to agree. Some security suites won't allow you to see another device on the network unless you approve it as a 'trusted device'. Overthinking on the part of the AV companies....
rthonpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/2013, 07:25 PM   #377 (permalink)

For some time now I've noticed an issue w/ the app (but havent been posting in recent months).

Apparently the config settings arent always saved or the sharing service isnt always started when 'Apply' is tapped on the Preferences scene. Re-entering the scene, verifying that the needed folders are checked and tapping 'Apply' again (even if the settings appear ok) starts the service every time.

Whenever everything else seem to be working, for e.g.:
  • other network shares (NAS, printer, server) can be accessed from the PC but not the Pre or TP
  • you can successfully PING the webOS devices
but their shared folders refuse to show up, give the above a try.

Also, double-check WiFi and the router that its connected to. As pointed out earlier, there's no warning from the app if WiFi is disabled. The on-screen signal will illuminate even if theres no active connection.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2013, 11:48 AM   #378 (permalink)

I'm having trouble getting this to work with my Pre 2 and Win 7 laptop. After some installation problems (O.k. to turn off Developer Mode? -my four posts) I finally got this installed but can't get it to work.

With wifi turned on on my Pre 2 and my computer, I opened the app the checked the network devices on my laptop but couldn't find it. I pinged my Pre 2 from my laptop and it said device not found. I even let the phone sit next to the laptop for several minutes before checking again because sometimes it takes a little while to connect to freetether.

When I open the app what I see is a flashing wifi icon. Is that what I should be seeing? I also can't open prefs in the top left corner.

If the problem is related to previous installation problems, is there any way to remove and then make sure there are no traces left on my phone before I reinstall?
Elsa1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2013, 07:42 PM   #379 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa1000 View Post
I'm having trouble getting this to work with my Pre 2 and Win 7 laptop. After some installation problems (O.k. to turn off Developer Mode? -my four posts) I finally got this installed but can't get it to work.

With wifi turned on on my Pre 2 and my computer, I opened the app the checked the network devices on my laptop but couldn't find it. I pinged my Pre 2 from my laptop and it said device not found. I even let the phone sit next to the laptop for several minutes before checking again because sometimes it takes a little while to connect to freetether.

When I open the app what I see is a flashing wifi icon. Is that what I should be seeing? I also can't open prefs in the top left corner.

If the problem is related to previous installation problems, is there any way to remove and then make sure there are no traces left on my phone before I reinstall?
I've never done anything but opening the ip address directly from the 'run' line of the start menu, e.g.,
"\\192.168.0.32\Public" . Your phone won't show up on the windows 'devices' window, as far as I know.

You just need to make sure that your phone and your laptop are on the same subnet, or connected to the same wifi router. Then you'll need to know the ip address that your phone is using.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2013, 10:59 PM   #380 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa1000 View Post
You mentioned FreeTether so just to be clear:
- you're using FreeTether in this setup?
- meaning that your PC is getting its internet from the Pre, which 'acts' as a router?
- and your Pre is using 3G (mobile data) for internet, as opposed to WiFi (router)?

If 'yes' to all three then you're doing it the wrong way.
This app shares resources w/ devices that are ALL connected to a router. In such a setup the router provides the IP, subnet and gateway addresses so all devices have everything in common (but different IPs). In your example above, your network carrier provides IP, subnet, DNS and gateway for the Pre while the Pre, in router mode, provides a totally different set for the PC. They're on different networks and wont communicate/PING.

Quote:
Is the icon actually flashing? Or does the icon just go from faded to bold? I dont think I've ever seen it 'flash;' certainly not continuously.

Quote:
At this point its unclear what the issue is. Sort out the FreeTether thing first - it should not be a part of the mix. Connect both devices to an actual wireless router and try to PING again. Proceed ONLY if they communicate.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0