Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anseld1986 View Post
    I have it semi-working between my Windows 7 64-bit and my Pre3.
    Following p41m3r's directions, each step works and I can connect via the IP address method - but it also shows "PRE3" under Network. This pops up after I turn on Wifi File Sharing on my phone (although it does not disappear after I close the app). However, anytime I try to open PRE3 on the computer, it tells me that Windows cannot access \\PRE3, as "The network path was not found."
    Any ideas as to why this is happening and what can be done about it? I guess I could give the phone a static IP so that I always know what IP address to use, but I'm wondering if there is another option to get things working automatically...
    Sadly, this is Windows, and almost nothing works 'automatically.' My most hassle-free experiences were with the older releases (3.x, 9x, NT, maybe 2000). Mac and Samba can be just as fussy at times.

The static IP solution will work, but its best to reserve it on the router end instead of on the Pre/TP.

As for whats happening, the PC searches and lists available shares and resources on the LAN. It has a few services (like Server, Computer Browser and Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper) that are responsible for that. The share name is listed as available and it gets cached. Maybe the 'Computer Browser' service isnt maintaining the map as it should and the device seems to be available after it has disconnected. This is frustrating because sometimes you think its there and its not.

I wouldnt worry about the names so much; its a complicated mess and computers prefer numbers anyway. For e.g., webosnation.com would get converted to 166.70.42.10 each and every time you type it in a browser or click on its bookmark. Its called DNS resolution and when your DNS cache gets jammed up you're unable to browse normally. In that situation, entering the site's IP will work (try pinging a site to get its IP and enter it in the browser instead of the name address). In short, similar caching or naming issues can cause problems on your local network.

You can check services, protocols and bindings on network interfaces but that is often a waste of time as most people never change their default settings. The easiest thing to do is reserve the device IP in the router so that they remain the same, and map the shares using the IP. You can also place shortcuts to those shares wherever you like.
    @p41m3r
    thankyou for this detailed explanation..regarding
    "Any reason why you chose that workgroup in the conf file (Vivekmishra-lap.mmnl.com)? Make it the same as the PC Workgroup. To see the XP workgroup:"

mine is work laptop ..and Vivekmishra-lap.mmnl.com is the name of my system and i cant change the name also otherwise it ll mess up with work emails n all..

regarding finding my phone IP ,i believe i have to switch on my data i.e. it can be either 2g or wifi ...
    -->i dont have wifi connection ,so this is ruled out
    --> again if i use the ip address obtained by switching on 2g data ,i dont think it is right or logical (and i have checked also ,it didn't help ).acc. to my understanding ..the whole point is to map the phone and transfer files through wifi (i.e. switching ON the phone wifi as well as PC's wifi ,)without any Internet ON...

i think issue is bcoz my work laptop is named other than the WORKGROUP
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
    ...mine is work laptop ..and Vivekmishra-lap.mmnl.com is the name of my system and i cant change the name also otherwise it ll mess up with work emails n all..
    In that case you're right and you should leave the laptop settings as they are.

regarding finding my phone IP ,i believe i have to switch on my data i.e. it can be either 2g or wifi ...
    -->i dont have wifi connection ,so this is ruled out
    Wifi is needed in order for this app to work. Take another look at its name. Its called that for a reason.

As I've stated earlier, devices will NOT see each other if they are connected to different networks - like two different WiFi, WiFi/bluetooth, WiFi/2G, LAN/3G, etc. That would only be possible through the use of network bridges, routing, tunneling, port opening and or forwarding and other complicated means. Those are beyond the scope of things in this thread and what the app was designed to do. So if your device is on 2G (or 3G, 4G EDGE, GPRS or CSD ), that would be your mobile carrier's network. Its IP would not allow you to easily route to your work or home LAN for technical and security reasons and all work or home networks are separated from the internet or WAN by design.

....acc. to my understanding ..the whole point is to map the phone and transfer files through wifi (i.e. switching ON the phone wifi as well as PC's wifi ,)without any Internet ON...
    Exactly! lol. Reading this first could have saved me some typing.

i think issue is bcoz my work laptop is named other than the WORKGROUP
    Not really. "WORKGROUP" is the default name but it can be anything you like. And its usually not an issue since you can bypass it by using local IPs. The workgroup helps in some situations but not in this case because you're not on WiFi to begin with. A WiFi router or access point is the only thing that will help you here, but that may introduce security issues on your work network. Check w/ your IT person or boss.
    sounds like hed need some sort of VPN solution to help him do what he needs.
    Any idea why exhibition mode won't stick? I select it but when it starts up again at a later date it defaults back to the clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    sounds like hed need some sort of VPN solution to help him do what he needs.
    Sure, he can tunnel in, but traversing 2 networks - one high latency - over 2G will be painful. Hopefully it's 2.5G and the files are very small.
    I had this installed and running on my Touchpad a couple weeks ago. I have tried using it again after a week and it does not work anymore. Most likely a Windows issue. I'm not sure of the timing, but I know MS updated my PC with stuff recently. Whether this rendered the WiFi File Sharing unworkable is unclear.

Can someone steer me in the right direction to fix it? I read all the previous posts, but I don't quite understand what to do. My PC is. Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks Shifty for your efforts on providing this extremely useful app. I look forward to getting it working again.

Mark
    I'm sorry. I realized I didn't explain very well.

I installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the various required files. When I click on Wifi File Transfer, the icon card appears and turns white, o I assume it is "on". Despite this, in Windows the Touchpad does not appear under Network (it used to as explained in my earlier post)

I hope this helps.

Mark
    I am also running Win7 64 bit.

I was having trouble with my Pre 3 not appearing in the network devices. I thought it should just appear, as that's what my TP does.

However, I thought I'd just try typing "\\PRE3" into the 'address bar' of Windows Explorer.... and whaddya know, it worked!
    Once I turned off my AV it worked. I don't remember having to do that before, but...OK

Happy camper!

Mark
    Your AV is likely a full security suite w/ firewall functions built in. Check the network/firewall section to see if it placed your network (192.168.x.x) or your router name (aka SSID. e.g.: 'Mark's WiFi') in the trusted zone or the internet zone. Trusted means you'll see and share w/ other devices connected to that router. Internet zone is treated as outsiders trying to get in... they simply wont.

An alternative is to get your Pre or Touchpad IP address from its WiFi preferences app. On the main screen in the app, just tap on your router's name (SSID) and note its IP. Then instead of typing \\Pre3\ or \\Touchpad\ in the address bar on your PC, use the IP instead, e.g. \\192.168.1.105\
    Either way, you're referring to the same device but by IP instead of name.
    new to the touch pad. Tried to download keeps telling me it can't open a mime file. Any help?
    Quote Originally Posted by ceeasle View Post
    new to the touch pad. Tried to download keeps telling me it can't open a mime file. Any help?
    You won't be able to open it via the browser. You have to use webOS quickinstall from the PC or use Internalz Pro (from Preware) on the TP.
    Hey thanks for the help
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I just installed on my Touchpad, and it just works. This is why I have been a fan of webOS and this community, the neat stuff smart people like you can do with it.

I am running Windows 7 on a 64 bit machine, works perfectly.

Just wondering, and I admit up front while I read your first post, and scanned the remainder, I did not read every detail, but when I run WiFi File Sharing, who else on the network can browse my Touchpad? Sitting here at home, its just my Touchpad and my desktop, and frankly that's the only location I may ever turn it on for, but if I do open it in another wifi environment, who sees it? Every computer connected to the wifi? I was thinking some day I might want to pass a file to a trusted computer on a different wifi environment.

Incredible app, thanks for developing for webOS.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Anyone connected to your subnet will see it. If your subnet is routable, then it is possible that others can get to it if they know the IP address (but generally, not by the name which is a broadcast and not a routable bit)

Alan
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Thanks Alan, not sure I understand everything you said, , but it sounds like its unlikely. Having said that, is it possible to put a password requirement in there just in case the device is spotted on a network by someone you don't want in? I am guessing that this function would only come from Samba if it was possible, but thought I would ask.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    You've got it wrong, usually routers only use 1 subnet, especially with wifi. Short answer to your question would be yes, everyone on that network can see and access your device.
    You can set a password, but you can only do this through the terminal, not (yet) in the wifi file sharing app.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I'm not wrong. I've been doing this stuff since the early '80's.

Every subnet must have a default gateway to the rest of the world. A router may only have one subnet (but that's generally home ones - try a decent Cisco router and it can host many subnets, VRFs or more), but they must then get out to the rest of the internet somehow - that;s the default gateway.

Now, if you are behind NAT, then you are generally safe. But try it from your office and the chances are you are not.

Alan
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I wasn't talking to you Allen, jdod said he thought it was unlikely other pcs connected to the same network would see his device..it's not. I just simplified things for jdod, dunno if you've read my post at all Allen?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums