Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
    ShiftyAxel, If you are considering editing the OP to add a FAQ, could you look at the original installation instructions which may be obsolete now that you have the ipkgs in Preware.

Great App!
  2.    #262  
    @Vas Looks like samba hasn't been installed, try removing Easy Samba and reinstalling it.

@p41m3r Cool, cheers I'll edit it up when I'm back at my laptop.

@Wheel_nut Yeah, sounds like a good idea. It'll be good to trim down the OP a bit too
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    @Vas Looks like samba hasn't been installed, try removing Easy Samba and reinstalling it.

Ok after 3-4 re-installs it seems to have installed fine on the Pre3 too !!!
    Thanks a lot for the great app. Donation on the way

Vas
    Last edited by VasTheGreek; 03/15/2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Hi to everyone!

first of all, sorry for the big delay on delivering the icons and the backgrounds...

@ShiftyAxel, the wifi signal used is the one that you "approved", but if there´s something weird, feel free to tell...

these is the icon.... wifi signal in sizes from 56 to 512 pixels... sorted from small to big...
    webos wifi file sharing icon by RQ v5 56.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    webos wifi file sharing icon by RQ v5 64.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    webos wifi file sharing icon by RQ v5 72.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    webos wifi file sharing icon by RQ v5 96.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    webos wifi file sharing icon by RQ v5 128.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    webos wifi file sharing icon by RQ v5 256.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    webos wifi file sharing icon by RQ v5 512.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

now the devices... first the wifi on and then the wifi off...

here are the touchpads.... yes... i said touchpads...
    here's the white one...
    hp touchpad white wifi on by RQ v5 768.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    hp touchpad white wifi off by RQ v5 768.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

and here's the black one...
    hp touchpad black wifi on by RQ v5 768.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    hp touchpad black wifi off by RQ v5 768.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

now the phones...
    here's the pre3...
    hp pre3 wifi on by RQ v5 480.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    hp pre3 wifi off by RQ v5 480.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

here's the pre 2...
    palm pre 2 wifi on by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    palm pre 2 wifi off by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

and the veers...
    the black veer....
    hp veer black wifi on by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    hp veer black wifi off by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

the white veer...
    hp veer white wifi on by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    hp veer white wifi off by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

here's the pre plus...
    palm pre plus wifi on by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    palm pre plus wifi off by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

and the last one... the original pre...
    palm pre wifi on by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    palm pre wifi off by RQ v5 320.png - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

all the devices are in the resolution needed of each phone... 320 or 480 or 768

now we can have the proper picture for each device...
    i don't know if wifi file sharing works on the pixi or pixi plus... if it does... i can make the image for them...

well, hope you, ShiftyAxel and all of you guys like them...
    if someone wants a hi-res image for any device, send me an email at bluerq@gmail.com...

and thanks all of you guys that supported my logo on the voting process...
    and if any of you have not voted.. here's the link... and remeber to select BLUERQ... hahaha....
    http://www.webosnation.com/open-sour...ding-finalists

and as usual, suggestions are welcomed..

RQ

----
    Last edited by bluerq; 03/16/2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo
    @shiftyaxel i am trying this on pre2 with windows XP and really getting hard time to make this work ...pl help..details in smb.conf file is

[global]
    netbios name = Pre
    workgroup = Vivekmishra-lap.mmnl.com
    server string = Pre Samba Share
    security = share
    guest account = nobody
    interfaces = eth0, lo
    log level = 0

[Public]
    comment = Public
    path = /media/internal/public
    available = true
    writable = true
    browseable = true
    guest ok = true

[Internal]
    comment = Internal Storage
    path = /media/internal
    available = true
    writable = true
    browseable = true
    guest ok = true

[Root]
    comment = Root
    path = /
    available = true
    writable = true
    browseable = true
    guest ok = true

[ext3fs]
    comment = ext3fs
    path = /media/ext3fs
    available = false
    writable = false
    browseable = true
    guest ok = true
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
    @shiftyaxel i am trying this on pre2 with windows XP and really getting hard time to make this work ...pl help..details in smb.conf file is
    but whats the problem? samba/windows/unknown? whats not occuring that should, running it? installing it?
    problem is - i am unable to see my device appear as a Network Share in my XP i.e. unable to map the drive..i dont know what m doing wrong, i think it is more related to mapping the device.
    pl help how to map my pre2 to xp as i have tried all combinations...nothing working...
    tovivekmishra,

I have had similar experience with Vista. Sometimes the TouchPad doesn't appear in the list of Network Devices in Windows Explorer.

Try:

Ensuring that File and Printer Sharing is enabled in the Windows Firewall

Making sure that the "public" folder is present on the TouchPad

Start Wifi File Sharing on the TouchPad

Open a fresh Windows Explorer window on the PC. Scroll down the sidebar and click on Network and wait for the list to populate. If it fails to show the TouchPad, try refreshing the pane. If it still doesn't show, close the Windows Explorer window and open a new one.

I believe that the behavioral aberration is in Windows XP and Vista because my Windows 7 Netbook shows it every time.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 03/18/2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added - Firewall settings
    @Wheel_nut but my Windows Firewall is disabled so i dont think that may cause the problem , and m trying this on pre2 ,touchpad yet to be tried....any other suggestions that may work...and i posted smb.conf file content just to ensure that atleast installation wise m correct..
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I have a different issue - my PC is asking for a username and password. What should I put in?

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by tovivekmishra View Post
    ...any other suggestions that may work...and i posted smb.conf file content just to ensure that atleast installation wise m correct..
    Try these networking tips. They're a bit more involved.

Check Workgroups (not as important but Windows 2000+ can be fussy)
    Any reason why you chose that workgroup in the conf file (Vivekmishra-lap.mmnl.com)? Make it the same as the PC Workgroup. To see the XP workgroup:
    Start -> right-click on 'My Computer' -> Properties -> 'Computer Name'
    or on Win 7:
    Start -> right-click on 'Computer' -> Properties -> click on 'Change settings' (to the right of 'Computer name)

(If you change it you'll have to reboot the PC)

Check device networks
    Also of importance is the network segments that the devices are on. They have to be the same. Its common to have the PC hard wired on one network (your router) and the other device by wireless on a different router (for e.g. the neighbor's or another router/AP in the area). When that happens they simply will NOT find each other as they're on different networks and/or subnets. So verify that all devices are connected to the same router.

If you can access the router - usually by typing the default gateway IP in a browser page (the most common are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or sometimes 192.168.0.1) - you can see whats connected to it. This will be under 'Status -> Local Network -> DHCP Clients Table' on Linksys devices (see attached pic), 'DHCP Client List' under LAN Setup on Belkin routers, or on the main page on Verizon's newer Westell or Actiontec modem/routers. Older Westell routers will have a 'Troubleshooting' menu; try 'Status -> LAN Devices'. Netgear? Try the 'LAN IP Setup' area. On older D-Link devices, check 'Home -> DHCP'; the list is at the bottom.

As firmware and interfaces change frequently, the above, like my memory, are guaranteed to fail In any case, the client list is almost always in the DHCP, LAN or Status areas. If Pre2, Pre3 or Touchpad show up in the list, along w/ the PC (e.g. Becky's PC, Dell XPS, Macbook, etc.) then you're in business. Try pinging the devices (see below).
    {Sometimes, only an IP and MAC would show (see pic). Entering the first 6 strings of the MAC here would give the vendor/manufacturer.}

Check IPs, subnet and test connectivity w/ PING
    If you cant - or would rather not - access the router, check the WiFi prefs on the Pre to get the IP and subnet (tap on the router name to get info). IP should be in the same range as the PC but not identical (e.g. 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x) & the subnet mask should be the same.

on PC
    Start -> Run (type CMD in the box and hit enter or click OK)
    in the black window that opens, type ipconfig then hit enter

Again, subnet should be the same and IPs should be in the same range as the other devices, with only the last number being different (e.g. 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, 192.168.1.4 etc. Keep in mind .1 will usually be the router itself (aka the default gateway or DHCP server in our simplistic network setup). The same IP on two different devices means a conflict. Those usually resolve themselves in a DHCP network (dynamic IP) but may need adjusting if one or more was assigned by you (static IP). An IP of 169.254.x.x is no good. Its an APIPA-assigned IP and it means that the device (Mac, Windows or whatever) could not get a valid IP from the router, so it assigned itself an unroutable one.

PING time
    PING is a very useful network test and a good place to begin would be the router or default gateway.
    I recommend this to be certain the PC can see/talk to the router. If it cant, then you've got other problems. This also tells if the PC's TCPIP stack is functional. The ability to browse the web or use internet apps usually means you're good.

to PING the default gateway,
    in the same black window, type ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever its IP is)

then ping the device you're trying to connect to: e.g. ping 192.168.1.105 (<- replace w/ Pre or Touchpad IP and make sure that the devices are not sleeping.)

A successful PING would involve a series of network crosstalk between the devices... 'hellos' and 'hi' in response. The ping statistics toward the end of the screen would show packets sent, packets received and packets lost. No loss is what you want to see. Any packet loss means that your connections are not up to snuff. You may find that (wired) PC-to-router is great but PC-to-WiFi device lossy. Thats wireless for you... in all its glory! Try moving the device closer in range of the router.

If you can PING the Pre or TP (or printer, NAS, X-Box or other device) it means that you're ready to connect. Try using the IP instead of the device name:
    Open any window e.g. 'Documents' or 'My Computer' (works in your browser too ) and in the address bar at the top, begin with \\, then the IP followed by \, then the share name. For e.g. \\192.168.1.11\public instead of \\Pre2\public

Quote Originally Posted by alan sh
    ...my PC is asking for a username and password. What should I put in?
    This one can be really annoying and there is no one solution to it. Check Network & Sharing Center and verify that the network is on Home or Work. If its Public (the park bench icon) try changing it then test the connection. If it does not work, one of the following may. Try one at a time then test.
    • Check the app prefs or config file. Make last four parameters 'true' for 'public' and try accessing it
    • disable the Guest account on the PC
    • disable password-protected sharing (Network & Sharing Center -> click on Change advanced sharing settings on the top left -> option is at the bottom. Also check/enable file sharing and network discovery)
    • also in Network & Sharing Center -> click on Change advanced sharing settings on the top left then enable Public folder sharing and disable HomeGroup option at the bottom.
    • try this: Start -> type secpol.msc in the run box then enter
      select Security Options under Local Policies
      double-click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only (3rd option on the right?) and disable it

These have worked for PC to PC connections. They may work here but this case is slightly different (PC to Pre/TP).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by p41m3r; 03/20/2012 at 03:31 AM.
    My report card for WiFi File Sharing: (All devices tested on the same network and with the same PC running Windows 7)
    4 TouchPads - 2 Working and 2 Failed
    4 Pre3s - 4 Working
    1 Veer - 1 Working

Why would 'WiFi File Sharing' not work on two of the TouchPads? By the way, all the TouchPads have the same set of patches installed.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Any basic/easy manual to 'How to connect TP with PC windows 7 32bit' using this app?

I turned on my wifi on my PC & TouchPad. Running Wifi File Share on TP. On PC I try to add a wireless device but no TP detected.
    If Windows is at default settings (services, protocols, bindings, etc.) go to Start -> Computer and click on 'Network' on the bottom left (or Network and Internet area in control panel and click on 'View network computers and devices'). Hopefully the TP will show up.

If not, find the IP address of the TP and try mounting the share in a window on the PC.
    Type \\192.168.x.x\public or \\whatever-the-TP-is-called\public in the address bar of the window. If that fails, PING the TP to verify LAN connection.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Tried it again today and it works fine.

Alan
  17.    #277  
    Woah, I love this community. You guys are doing an awesome job as tech support apologies for being absent as of late- that darn 'real life' thing keeps getting in the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    If Windows is at default settings (services, protocols, bindings, etc.) go to Start -> Computer and click on 'Network' on the bottom left (or Network and Internet area in control panel and click on 'View network computers and devices'). Hopefully the TP will show up.

If not, find the IP address of the TP and try mounting the share in a window on the PC.
    Type \\192.168.x.x\public or \\whatever-the-TP-is-called\public in the address bar of the window. If that fails, PING the TP to verify LAN connection.
    My PC not detect the TP... About finding IP... I don't understand your clue.. Sorry...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    @The Bard:
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    If you can access the router - usually by typing the default gateway IP in a browser page (the most common are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 or sometimes 192.168.0.1) - you can see whats connected to it. This will be under 'Status -> Local Network -> DHCP Clients Table' on Linksys devices (see attached pic), 'DHCP Client List' under LAN Setup on Belkin routers, or on the main page on Verizon's newer Westell or Actiontec modem/routers. Older Westell routers will have a 'Troubleshooting' menu; try 'Status -> LAN Devices'. Netgear? Try the 'LAN IP Setup' area. On older D-Link devices, check 'Home -> DHCP'; the list is at the bottom.

As firmware and interfaces change frequently, the above, like my memory, are guaranteed to fail In any case, the client list is almost always in the DHCP, LAN or Status areas. If Pre2, Pre3 or Touchpad show up in the list, along w/ the PC (e.g. Becky's PC, Dell XPS, Macbook, etc.) then you're in business. Try pinging the devices (see below).
    {Sometimes, only an IP and MAC would show (see pic). Entering the first 6 strings of the MAC here would give the vendor/manufacturer.}

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    First off, let me say thank you so much for having put this together - it's awesome!!
    So, onto my question. I have it semi-working between my Windows 7 64-bit and my Pre3.
    Following p41m3r's directions, each step works and I can connect via the IP address method - but it also shows "PRE3" under Network. This pops up after I turn on Wifi File Sharing on my phone (although it does not disappear after I close the app). However, anytime I try to open PRE3 on the computer, it tells me that Windows cannot access \\PRE3, as "The network path was not found."
    Any ideas as to why this is happening and what can be done about it? I guess I could give the phone a static IP so that I always know what IP address to use, but I'm wondering if there is another option to get things working automatically...
    If you like my patches or have found them to be helpful to you, please consider donating here for the time I put into making them.
    - All my programming is done in my spare time, so any donations help motivate me to spend more of my limited time on webOS.