Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
    I thought I'd study a healthy e.g. working instance of WFFS, on my Touchpad, on the premise that it might give some insights into my non-working Pre+ instance.

Some notes:

1. The smb.conf in /opt/etc/samba reflects [with one exception, noted in note 3 below] the changes I make via the app's Preferences panel

2. The smb.conf in /media/cryptofs/apps/... does not show any changes I make via the app's Preferences panel. I'm guessing that it is a template .conf file, used for initial default settings

3. The Server String field in the opt/etc/samba smb.conf file never changes, and always has the value DEVICEDESCRIPTION I'm thinking that unchangingness indicates a bug in the app's Preferences panel code

-- stan
    Next I studied the WFFS-not-working smb.conf files on my Pre+.

Some notes:

1. The smb.conf in /opt/etc/samba reflects the changes I make via the app's Preferences panel

2. The smb.conf in /media/cryptofs/apps/... does not show any changes I make via the app's Preferences panel. I'm guessing that it is a template .conf file, used for initial default settings

3. The Server String field in the opt/etc/samba smb.conf file DOES change, and always has the value that I set in in the app's Preferences panel code

4. There was a 3rd smb.conf file located at /opt/etc . I deleted it. It has not come back, indicating that its existence was some sort of historical error.

-- stan
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    hello again!

what you think about my open webos logo?

http://www.webosnation.com/open-sour...comment-280151

@ShiftyAxel, i almost finish the pre3, pre2 and a veer haha...
    and made an adjustment, again on the touchpad icon...
    also i already made a wifi off version of the touchpad, this will allow you to use an image with the wifi off and no glow instead of using the "scrim"... but it's you app, so it's just a suggestion... because it darkens the touchpad too...

and same for the phones.... decide wich will you use when you see them... or use them all!!! hahahah

been very busy, but tomorrow i'll delivered them....

RQ

PS: i'm having up to 207kb/s upload speed (pc to touchpad).... how much are you other guys having?
    Last edited by bluerq; 03/07/2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: typo
    Having some issue transferring large file from win7 64bit to my tPad. The retry prompt always pop up. How do I resolve this?
    I can't seem to install WiFi File Sharing on my Pre3 via Preware. Is there a problem with one of the files?
    Every time preware gets stuck on https://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/o...2.15-4_arm.ipk and can't download it.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I am unable to access a particular folder on my TouchPad. The folder is: \\TOUCHPAD\Root\var\preferences.
    The error message I get is:
    Windows cannot access \\TOUCHPAD\Root\var\preferences
    You do not have permission to access \\TOUCHPAD\Root\var\preferences. Contact your network administrator to request access.

Any idea what could be the problem? Strangely enough, I can access the same folder on my Pre3. But just not on the TouchPad.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Having varying degrees of success with this. It installed fine as far as I can tell, and I can see the TP from my Win7x64 machine, so that's a step in the right direction.

But trying to copy files takes a really REALLY long time over a G router, like less than 1 MB/sec. It takes a good 20 seconds for a transfer to actually start working, and about 50% of the time it just craps out before it even does anything. It also seems to constantly rescan open folders.

I know nothing about Samba and my network experience is somewhat limited, so any clear advice or suggestions for getting this to work better would be greatly appreciated. My network is very simple, just one computer and the TP, with them being maybe 30 feet apart with a clear LOS no less. The only active wifi device is the TP and no other network activity is going on when I try to transfer.

Thanks
    Having the same issue transferring large file from win7 64bit to my tPad. The retry prompt always pop up. How do I resolve this?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFabulous View Post
    Having varying degrees of success with this. It installed fine as far as I can tell, and I can see the TP from my Win7x64 machine, so that's a step in the right direction.

But trying to copy files takes a really REALLY long time over a G router, like less than 1 MB/sec. It takes a good 20 seconds for a transfer to actually start working, and about 50% of the time it just craps out before it even does anything. It also seems to constantly rescan open folders.

I know nothing about Samba and my network experience is somewhat limited, so any clear advice or suggestions for getting this to work better would be greatly appreciated. My network is very simple, just one computer and the TP, with them being maybe 30 feet apart with a clear LOS no less. The only active wifi device is the TP and no other network activity is going on when I try to transfer.

Thanks
    Same expericence here. Tried to transfer MAPNIK files for MapTool, ended up transferring with USB cable which was massively faster than a N-WIFI network
    wow the wd live streaming sees the touchpad and i am streaming a tv episode now.
    there is no sound, same episode has sound with mac as source. Any clues?

grewt work, cheering me up
  11.    #211  
    @bluerq I like it, the simplicity works really well totally agree with the sentiment too, webOS is webOS is webOS. Though I think the left edges of the cards need to be longer, it looked like some kind of claw when I first looked at it. The icons are sounding great, I'll add them to the next version.

@checkmate Try again later, sounds like a server issue to me. Maybe reboot?

@Sanjay Hmm, can you try logging in as 'Guest'? Also what are your prefs set at? And can you post your smb.conf? Should hopefully be diagnosable..

@CaptainFabulous @mullern Transfer speeds are generally an issue with samba in my experience, it's very sensitive to your network/router's setup. As you can see from the thread, some people are boasting quite high speeds. Mine are generally around 200-300kb/s, so not amazing, but it works.

@Becketo How large are these files?

@Bluenote WD Live Streaming? What's that? Could be a speed issue, not sure.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Yay, got it working! Thanks ShiftyAxel.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    @bluerq I like it, the simplicity works really well totally agree with the sentiment too, webOS is webOS is webOS. Though I think the left edges of the cards need to be longer, it looked like some kind of claw when I first looked at it. The icons are sounding great, I'll add them to the next version.

@checkmate Try again later, sounds like a server issue to me. Maybe reboot?

@Sanjay Hmm, can you try logging in as 'Guest'? Also what are your prefs set at? And can you post your smb.conf? Should hopefully be diagnosable..

@CaptainFabulous @mullern Transfer speeds are generally an issue with samba in my experience, it's very sensitive to your network/router's setup. As you can see from the thread, some people are boasting quite high speeds. Mine are generally around 200-300kb/s, so not amazing, but it works.

@Becketo How large are these files?

@Bluenote WD Live Streaming? What's that? Could be a speed issue, not sure.
    I also have problems with large files. Anything over ~500 MBs errors out before transfer even starts after a long period of waiting (at least a minute).

I'm completely open to it being an issue with my network, but I have no idea how to even begin to address it.
    My experience with XP was the copy would error out, sometimes right away, but the copy would actually continue. I could watch the file growing. I repeated this three times. The end result appeared complete, but i couldn't play the videos. It may have been a format Kalemsoft player couldn't play, so i need to try again with a file I already know plays okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    My experience with XP was the copy would error out, sometimes right away, but the copy would actually continue. I could watch the file growing. I repeated this three times. The end result appeared complete, but i couldn't play the videos. It may have been a format Kalemsoft player couldn't play, so i need to try again with a file I already know plays okay.
    I noticed the same behavior, but it doesn't look like it actually copies the file. I see the file size go up as you've indicated but there is no data transfer from my computer to the TP, as if the TP thinks it's getting a file even though the PC throws an error.
    Just wondering, does the kernel have any bearing on how well this performs? I'm currently using the stock 3.0.5, not Uberkernel.
  17.    #217  
    I'm using Warthog on my Pre3 and UberKernel on my TP. Similar transfer rates on both.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    1 Global Posts
    I'm having a big problem with missing sound when I play videos. I've done a lot of testing here is a summary of what I found. I have a lot of short videos in various formats that were made by many people. The MPEG4 videos work fine. The problem always occurs with AVI videos. When these start to play there is sometimes sound for 1 or 2 seconds and then the video continues to play with no sound. Usually there is no sound at all. This behaviour happens with several different pieces of equipment whenever I try to play the videos using my TP as a network share. I've used a WDTV Live Streaming player (new), a WDTV Live Hub (new) and a 2-year old WDTV Live Media player. The video files that reside on my TP that do not play with sound are also on a flash drive, and on a WD WorldBook Media server. When I use the same equipment to play the same files from tha flash drive, or my WorldBook Media server, the avi files play as they should with sound. When I tried playing these files from my WorldBook Media Server, I accessed the server as a network share to make the situation as similar as possible to accessing those files on my TP as a network share.

Have you any idea why the sound problem would only occur with avi files and not with mpg or mpeg4 files? If the problem were with the codec in my WDTV players, why would the files play fine when played from network shares other than my TP? If you want me to test further, I could put these files on a WiinXP PC and see if they play OK from there on my WDTV players. I also have an LG Smart TV Upgrader player. I could see if it has the same missing sound as my WDTV player when playing from my TP as a network share.
    Last edited by brucelc; 03/09/2012 at 02:36 AM.
    large file do not work for me either. as far as I can see the app continues to allocate the exact space but the file itself is corrupted. Windows gives an error "cannot copy ... the specified network name is no longer available" even though the share can be accessed at any time. I tried with files >= 501Mb and it always failed. A 450Mb file worked fine. My guess is that space allocation takes too long on the TP and Windows gives a timeout to the copy operation. @ShiftyAxel, do you have any control over the buffer size or space allocation?
  20.    #220  
    I can probably modify it via smb.conf- do you have any suggestions for settings?
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast