Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadowcat
  1.    #1  
    So I still have a Sprint Pre 1.4.5 and I recently got a TouchPad, which I'm very much loving. One thing that bugs me about 3.0.4 is the way an icon that's on your quick launch bar is also still in the launcher. In 1.4.5, if you put an icon on your quick launch, it would remove it from the launcher. If it's in the quick launch, why on earth do you need it in the launcher too? I've tried to follow the instructions someone posted on how to hide an icon in the launcher, and it works just fine, but only on icons that aren't also in the quick launch. Does anyone know of any way to hide an icon in the launcher while still leaving it visible in the quick launch?
    I move all my excess icons to the bottom of the settings tab. I'm guessing what you heard to do is to set the visible to false?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle3om View Post
    I move all my excess icons to the bottom of the settings tab. I'm guessing what you heard to do is to set the visible to false?
    Well, I've added a couple of tabs so now I can see all of my icons and can't just throw them at the bottom of a page where I won't see them constantly. There did used to be a setting in 1.4.x in the appinfo.json where you could set the visible to false, but that doesn't seem to be there any more. I followed some instructions in another post on how to hide an app in the launcher and it works great as long as the app isn't also on the quick launch bar. If it is, not only does it not hide, it moves it back to the bottom of the first page. It's very annoying to me. I don't understand why anyone would want the icon in both the launcher and the quick launch. That would make sense to me if the quick launch hid itself when you open the launcher, but when you open the launcher, you can still see the quick launch, so there's no reason for the icon to be in both places. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to deal with it!
    The visible setting is still in 3.x.x in the appinfo.json. Just add it. Its: "visible": false.
    My guess is this will hide the icon from the launcher bar as well and wont solve your "problem", but I've never used it to hide an icon I also have in my launcher bar so give it a shot.
    Last edited by kyle3om; 01/10/2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: verified that it is "visible": false
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    So I still have a Sprint Pre 1.4.5 and I recently got a TouchPad, which I'm very much loving. One thing that bugs me about 3.0.4 is the way an icon that's on your quick launch bar is also still in the launcher. In 1.4.5, if you put an icon on your quick launch, it would remove it from the launcher.
    This is a new "feature" of 2.x and 3.x ... still annoys me, I just move them to my last page at the bottom (where I keep all my random utilities and services I never need to access). I use Just Type so much I am rarely in the launcher unless it's my games tab.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

OldSkool, I've thought about doing that but I'm incredibly anal and can't stand to have my icons on tabs where they don't belong. For example, I can't bring myself to put my calendar icon on my last page, which is called "Settings". It'd be easier to just have a few icons in 2 places. I also actually like using the launcher to start an app. I dunno, there's just something about all that swiping! Plus, I've themed my Touchpad so just opening the launcher is fun cuz I can see the results of the work I've done.

Kyle, either I'm doing it wrong, or the "visible" setting no longer has any effect in 3.x because I tried adding it to the appinfo.json of my calendar app and it had no effect, not even after a full reboot instead of just a luna boot. I then tried pulling the calendar off of my quick launch and rebooted, but the icon still didn't vanish from my launcher. It's looking like the only way to hide an icon from the launcher is the method I linked to in my earlier post, but that there isn't any way to hide an icon if you want it on your quick launch bar. Just thought I should post my findings for anyone else who might be trying to do this. If anyone does find a way, I'd love to hear about it!
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 01/12/2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typos!
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    lol
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...