Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bi0tech
  1.    #1  
    Touch2Print - Warning this is in a very early state. If you aren't comfy with at least the commandline I would suggest putting it off until later.

I take no responsibility if it causes trouble. [Perhaps in your neighborhood. Potentially causing your mother to ship you off to Belair, and your attaining royalty status there. ]

Description:
    This is a 'helper' style application for the Touchpad to the current printing system. It's aim is to provide more forms and destinations of output.

File:
    com.wordpress.touchcontrol.touch2print_0.0.1_all.ipk - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Usage:
    Start it before you try to print, close it after you have finished. Currently no real controls of any kind.

Stores the raw PCL5 output in /media/internal/spooler
    Stores the PDF files in /media/internal/pdf

Notes:
    This util is very much in an Alpha state. It's currently barely more than a stub interface which is able to generate large PDF's from print jobs. It works along the lines of the PC based printer relay found in this forum. Essentially faking a local printer by responding to SNMP queries, accepting the PCL5 output and then doing transforms to it.

I am looking for a guinea pig or two that have a PCL5 [that is 5 not 6, PCL6 is an entirely different animal, and is not backward compatible despite the naming convention.] capable printer available that the native printer interface doesn't allow. (assuming there are any, I'm really not sure what exactly is supported in terms of printer models beyond HP.)

Also, if anyone has the time and ability I would like to get ghostscript 9.04 built as a separate package in order to slim the PDF output considerably. I will probably get to it eventually, but I am running short on the big three of life (time, money, energy), so it might take me a while to get to.

Potential features going forward:

• file management of output
    • direct push to printers understanding PCL5
    • application linking - open with adobe, email, etc
    • PCL6/PS conversion (ghostscript required)

Controls present:
    Currently none.

Dependencies:
    Homebrew JSJSJS $Service$ $Framework$

Donations:
    If you happen to enjoy the program enough to donate, please do. My continued ability to do things like... eat, is much improved.

Licensing:
    Licensed under GPLv3

Homepage: touchcontrol.wordpress.com

Changelog:
    0.0.1 - Alpha test version - PDF output only.

git: here
    Works well at what it does currently (no crashes). The output pdf's are of low resolution and large file size (this is not meant as a slam as this is early beta stuff). It still is the easiest solution to print a web without an HP printer. Would be great if it offered better resolution, smaller file size and possible ability to change to a different output directory and/or have it sent as an attachments to an email address (this would allow it to be set up to upload to Dropbox through a 3rd party service). Thanks for your efforts.
    Last edited by jstraw72; 02/12/2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: clarity of wording
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw72 View Post
    Works well at what it does currently (no crashes). The output pdf's are of low resolution and large file size (this is not meant as a slam as this is early beta stuff). It still is the easiest solution to print a web without an HP printer. Would be great if it offered better resolution, smaller file size and possible ability to change to a different output directory and/or have it sent as an attachments to an email address (this would allow it to be set up to upload to Dropbox through a 3rd party service). Thanks for your efforts.
    Most if not all of that is doable. I haven't really put in any time into it since this alpha since there has seemingly been little interest and zero testers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bi0tech View Post
    Touch2Print - Warning this is in a very early state. If you aren't comfy with at least the commandline I would suggest putting it off until later.

I take no responsibility if it causes trouble. [Perhaps in your neighborhood. Potentially causing your mother to ship you off to Belair, and your attaining royalty status there. ]

Description:
    This is a 'helper' style application for the Touchpad to the current printing system. It's aim is to provide more forms and destinations of output.

File:
    com.wordpress.touchcontrol.touch2print_0.0.1_all.ipk - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Usage:
    Start it before you try to print, close it after you have finished. Currently no real controls of any kind.

Stores the raw PCL5 output in /media/internal/spooler
    Stores the PDF files in /media/internal/pdf

Notes:
    This util is very much in an Alpha state. It's currently barely more than a stub interface which is able to generate large PDF's from print jobs. It works along the lines of the PC based printer relay found in this forum. Essentially faking a local printer by responding to SNMP queries, accepting the PCL5 output and then doing transforms to it.

I am looking for a guinea pig or two that have a PCL5 [that is 5 not 6, PCL6 is an entirely different animal, and is not backward compatible despite the naming convention.] capable printer available that the native printer interface doesn't allow. (assuming there are any, I'm really not sure what exactly is supported in terms of printer models beyond HP.)

Also, if anyone has the time and ability I would like to get ghostscript 9.04 built as a separate package in order to slim the PDF output considerably. I will probably get to it eventually, but I am running short on the big three of life (time, money, energy), so it might take me a while to get to.

Potential features going forward:

• file management of output
    • direct push to printers understanding PCL5
    • application linking - open with adobe, email, etc
    • PCL6/PS conversion (ghostscript required)

Controls present:
    Currently none.

Dependencies:
    Homebrew JSJSJS $Service$ $Framework$

Donations: Click to view quoted image

If you happen to enjoy the program enough to donate, please do. My continued ability to do things like... eat, is much improved.

Licensing:
    Licensed under GPLv3

Homepage: touchcontrol.wordpress.com

Changelog:
    0.0.1 - Alpha test version - PDF output only.

git: here
    I can't believe I missed this! So why can't you leave this open all the time on the Touchpad? Does it "eat" memory or some other bad thing? I might be able to help but I am mostly short on time (Graduate student writing other programs/thesis) and experience cross compiling for WebOS/ARM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by knownboyofno View Post
    I can't believe I missed this! So why can't you leave this open all the time on the Touchpad? Does it "eat" memory or some other bad thing? I might be able to help but I am mostly short on time (Graduate student writing other programs/thesis) and experience cross compiling for WebOS/ARM.
    Well it's an alpha, so realistically I didn't intend for it to be much more than a demonstration for testing. It will eat a small amount of cpu to keep the services running, and will likely have a slowly expanding heapsize (due to the running log).

If you wanted to help out getting ghostscript complied and packed into a seperate package would be the place that would matter the most. I don't have the energy to sort though the lib dependencies/font indexes/licensing/etc. With that available, adding a variety of processing output options becomes easy.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bi0tech View Post
    Well it's an alpha, so realistically I didn't intend for it to be much more than a demonstration for testing. It will eat a small amount of cpu to keep the services running, and will likely have a slowly expanding heapsize (due to the running log).

If you wanted to help out getting ghostscript complied and packed into a seperate package would be the place that would matter the most. I don't have the energy to sort though the lib dependencies/font indexes/licensing/etc. With that available, adding a variety of processing output options becomes easy.
    I will look into because I need to program on Linux for my thesis. I would like for this to get off the ground. I would love to be able to print pdfs of pages on my touchpad from any program.