webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  TouchPad Patches > Debian/Bodhi
Debian/Bodhi
Like Tree3Likes

Old 12/21/2011, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, we got Ubuntu in a chroot working now, unfortanetly no 11.10 or non-chroot yet, but I just wanted to let you know that Jeff Hoogland from Bodhi Linux (Ubuntu-derivative with E17 and also an updated E17 touch-interface) is porting the ARM-version (which already runs on other tablets) to the HP Touchpad now!

HP Touchpad - Bodhi Linux Forums
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2011, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cool. Some friends need the touch friendly linux desperately right now as 3.04 now working with the webpage they need.

How does bodhi compare with this?
http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1948
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2011, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey it looks like Jeff has it working natively with the touchPad.
Does that mean touch will be friendly with a linux touchpad?

Old 12/23/2011, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Hey it looks like Jeff has it working natively with the touchPad.
Does that mean touch will be friendly with a linux touchpad?

Awesome, a third moboot option. I am starting to feel like I died and went to heaven. Those iPad users just don't know what they are missing with this sub $200 tablet.

For anyone who does not know what Bodhi in it's tablet profile looks like watch this and see if you can spot the webOS influence.
kjhenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kayphoonstar
Old 12/28/2011, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm gonna install it when possible (seems that it's possible). I love Bodhi
Old 12/29/2011, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Looks like some alpha files were posted here. If you give it a try, let me know.

Bodhi Linux - Browse /ARM/HP TouchPad at SourceForge.net
Old 12/30/2011, 03:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I just finished installing and playing with this. I like that it is tablet oriented though it's still a little rough around the edges. Of course it's alpha so I was not expecting perfection. I was able to connect to wifi, browse the internet with midori, and mess around with some of the default apps. I plan to find some time to install chrome with touch support, okular, and a few more touch enabled apps over the weekend.

Great job Bodhi team.
Old 12/30/2011, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
I just finished installing and playing with this. I like that it is tablet oriented though it's still a little rough around the edges. Of course it's alpha so I was not expecting perfection. I was able to connect to wifi, browse the internet with midori, and mess around with some of the default apps. I plan to find some time to install chrome with touch support, okular, and a few more touch enabled apps over the weekend.

Great job Bodhi team.
Very interested in your Bodhi experience as I am helping a friend with her TouchPads. She needs to have her customers open an order webpage in Linux and have it easily pinch and zoom for them to enter their orders. Would it be possible for you to check this webpage for me this weekend in Chrome and Firefox? (webOS will no longer open the links at all in 3.04 although it does in 3.02 but puts a moving ribbon in the middle of the page). If this works, I will help her install Bodhi on her TouchPads. Right now Ubuntu Firefox (not Chrome) opens the page, but too hard for the customers to scroll easily.
Old 12/30/2011, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Very interested in your Bodhi experience as I am helping a friend with her TouchPads. She needs to have her customers open an order webpage in Linux and have it easily pinch and zoom for them to enter their orders. Would it be possible for you to check this webpage for me this weekend in Chrome and Firefox? (webOS will no longer open the links at all in 3.04 although it does in 3.02 but puts a moving ribbon in the middle of the page). If this works, I will help her install Bodhi on her TouchPads. Right now Ubuntu Firefox (not Chrome) opens the page, but too hard for the customers to scroll easily.
Sure, post or PM me the url.
Old 12/30/2011, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
Sure, post or PM me the url.
pm'ed you.
Key is to sign into a class and be able to pinch and zoom so customers can do the sign in process swiftly and easily as they walk into the gym class.

It may work in firefox if not chrome (worked in firefox ubuntu but not chrome ubuntu and more importantly was not easy to pinch and zoom so not a good solution for them).

Thanks!
Old 12/30/2011, 12:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Okay having spent more time with this I have to downgrade this from rough around the edges to unusable for serious use. The touch calibration seems to be wandering so it's very frustrating trying to accomplish anything. I was not able to install chrome, firefox, or firefox-mobile through the browser based installer. The install button would become disabled after clicking it as if it was installing but nothing was happening. I tried apt-get but the packages were not in the configured repositories.

I like the tablet profile on this and I think it could be great with some work but I found ubuntu to be more usable in it's current state. I am interested to hear what other users think.

Edit: I was able to download the .bod installation files for a few apps but the install is failing with an error message saying it could not find zenity. I am guessing zenity is being used to prompt for credentials. I hope this can be resolved because I would really like to try some touch friendly applications on this.

Last edited by kjhenrie; 01/01/2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12/31/2011, 03:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
pml

E17 is also available from the Ubuntu repositories, but I don't know which modules to install or enable for getting things working like in the youtube video attached to this thread.
Particularly the "cards" interface and the android-style home-screen would be nice...
pml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 05:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Is it dual-boot? How do you boot the WebOS again?
lunohod_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, how do you install it?
Old 12/31/2011, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Like CM7 (Android) Bodhi installs as a boot option available from the moboot menu. I now have webOS, CM7, and Bodhi available at the boot menu. Below is an attempt to describe the process I used to install Bodhi.

Please read this guide in it's entirety to determine if you think you are up for the challenge before diving in.

Install this at your own risk! If you decide you are brave enough to attempt this and you run into any problems during the install ask questions here.

Requirements - Important!
  • You must have moboot installed. If you have CM7 (Android) set up to dual boot then you have moboot otherwise follow the moboot installation procedure below.
  • You must have novaterm installed on your pc
  • Unless you wish to create the partition for Bodhi manually (not covered here) you will need to install Tailor (avalable through preware)
  • Internalz (preware)
  • You CAN NOT have Bodhi and Ubuntu or any other OS installed at /media/ext3fs installed at the same
  • You must put your TouchPad in development mode before beginning this procedure in order to use novaterm.

Installing Moboot

This procedure is not necessary if you already have moboot installed. If you are dual booting webOS and Android you do not need to install moboot.

These instructions were extracted from the moboot README file and modified to fit the format of this guide. Once again, install this at your own risk!

1. Download and unzip the latest version of moboot on your pc from here. This guide is based on 0.3.5, some of the file names will need to be modified if you choose a different version.

2. Attach your TP to your computer and select USB Device

3. Copy uImage.moboot_0.3.5 to the default directory (/media/internal) on the TP

4. Eject/Unmount the TP from your pc, unplug the USB cable, and attach it again this time selecting Cancel or Just Charge

5. Open a terminal on your pc and type

Code:
novaterm
Followed by each line below hitting enter after each line, if there are any error messages that you can't resolve stop the procedure and ask before ejecting the TP or rebooting.

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /boot
cd /boot
cp /media/internal/uImage.moboot_0.3.5 /boot/uImage.moboot
rm uImage
ln -s uImage.moboot uImage
ln -s uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderloin uImage.webOS
echo "webOS" >moboot.default
ls -l
The output of the last command should include the values below. This doesn't represent all of the results you will see but these are the important pieces. Pay attention to the permissions, ownership, and file sizes.
Code:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Dec 19 07:10 uImage -> uImage.moboot
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3859532 Dec 26 15:13 uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderloin
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4857082 Dec 29 22:02 uImage.Bodhi
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64508 Dec 19 07:10 uImage.moboot
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Dec 17 11:00 uImage.webOS -> uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderloin
If you are satisfied with the results continue with the last two commands
Code:
sync
reboot
6. If all went well your TP should reboot and you should be greeted with a boot menu displaying a single option for webOS

Installing Bodhi

This install is for the alpha version of Bodhi which is the only version available at the time of this writing. Before installing this you might want to see if a newer version is available here. If a newer version is available some modifications to the procedure below will be required to support it.

1. Download bodhi-touchpad-alpha.tar.gz and uImage.Bodhi to your PC

2. Attach your TP to your PC, select USB Device, and copy the files from step 1 to the default folder on the TP (should be /media/internal)

3. Using Internalz move /media/internal/uImage.Bodhi to /boot. You will need to enable "Master mode" in the Internalz preferences dialog.

4. Using Internalz confirm that you do not have the folder /media/ext3fs, if you do and there are contents in the folder installing Bodhi will mess up whatever was installed there (Ubuntu?). I recommend uninstalling whatever is there before attempting to install Bodhi.

5. Now to create the Bodhi partition.
a. Unmount and unplug the TP from your PC
b. Reboot the TP (full device restart, not just luna)
c. Open Tailor and if it isn't selected by default tap on "USB (media):"
d. You should have a large "Unmount Partition" button enabled, tap it
e. You should now have a large "Check Filesystem" button enabled, tap it and wait for it to finish
f. Your cursor should be focused in a text field asking for a new partition size. I am not sure how much space the installation uses so I allocated 4GB. To do this enter the difference between the current value and 4096 (4GB). For example if the current value is 25000 subtract 4096 from 25000 and enter the result, in this case 20904. This is important so make sure you get it right! When you are confident you have the correct value in the field press "Resize Partition" and wait for it to finish.
g. Now if it isn't already selected tap on "Unused Space:"
h. You should be focused on a text field with the total unused space (4096 if you allocated 4GB as suggested), leave this value and tap "Create Partition" and wait for it to finish
6. Create the mount point for the new partition
a. With the TP attached and NOT in USB device mode open a terminal on your pc, type novaterm and confirm that you are on the TP in a terminal
b. Put the file system into write mode with the command

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /
c. Now type the following to create the mount point

Code:
mkdir /media/ext3fs
d. Make it mount the new partition on startup by typing the following

Code:
echo "/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs /media/ext3fs auto noatime 0	0" >> /etc/fstab
e. Reboot with the command below and select webOS followed by Just Charge or Cancel once booted

Code:
reboot
7. in the PC command window reconnect to novaterm with

Code:
novaterm
8. Put the file system in read/write mode again with

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /
9. Extract the Bodhi image to the new file system by typing

Code:
cd /media/ext3fs
followed by

Code:
tar -zxvf /media/internal/bodhi-touchpad-alpha.tar.gz
10. It will take a while to extract the image. Once it is done type:

Code:
mount -o remount,ro /
followed by

Code:
reboot
11. Select Bodhi at the moboot menu and enjoy

Upgrading Bodhi

If you wish to install a newer version of Bodhi this can be done by deleting the contents in /media/ext3fs and unzipping the new version into the directory. The instructions below will update the developer preview to the alpha release. Subsequent releases should be the same with the exception of the archive name.

1. Download bodhi-touchpad-alpha.tar.gz to your PC

2. Plug your TouchPad into the PC and select "USB Device"

3. Copy the aforementioned file to the TouchPad in the default directory (/media/internal)

4. Disconnect and reconnect the TouchPad but this time select "Cancel" or "Just Charge"

5. If it isn't already, put your TouchPad in developer mode

6. On your PC open a terminal and type

Code:
novaterm
7. Now type the following commands, hit enter after each line

Code:
mount -o remount,rw /
rm -r /media/ext3fs
You might get an error because the directory is a partition mount point. It shouldn't matter as long as the contents are gone. You shouldn't see any files if you type:

Code:
ls /media/ext3fs
If executing the previous line generates an error saying the directory does not exist, type:

Code:
mkdir /media/ext3fs
8. Unzip the Bodhi file system by typing:

Code:
cd /media/ext3fs
followed by

Code:
tar -zxvf /media/internal/bodhi-touchpad-alpha.tar.gz
9. It will take a while to extract the image. Once it is done type:

Code:
mount -o remount,ro /
followed by

Code:
reboot
Thank the Bodhi team and enjoy!

Last edited by kjhenrie; 01/11/2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Updated for alpha version
Thanked By: itechnoguy2
Old 12/31/2011, 01:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanks! I'm gonna try that ASAP. Just wish there was an easier way to install moboot.
Old 12/31/2011, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Thanks! I'm gonna try that ASAP. Just wish there was an easier way to install moboot.
I am certain there is but I haven't investigated it yet. I'll look into this as time permits.
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 01/01/2012, 09:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I updated the installation guide with the procedure for installing moboot without using the CM7 ACMEInstaller
Old 01/01/2012, 10:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

It should be possible to boot the kernel with kexec and load rootfs from an ext2-image laying somewhere in the /media/internal partition.
lunohod_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2012, 12:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Jeff is also going to publish a howto: HOWTO: Bodhi on the HP TouchPad - Bodhi Linux Forums

Thanks anyway, henrie!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0