Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83
Like Tree3Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Jeff is also going to publish a howto: HOWTO: Bodhi on the HP TouchPad - Bodhi Linux Forums

    Thanks anyway, henrie!
    Yeah, I pm'd him and told him he can use all or part of my write up if he finds it useful. He said it's on his todo list for this afternoon if time permits. I am anxious to see if he takes the same approach I did. Perhaps he has a trick to get the package installer working.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by lunohod_oi View Post
    It should be possible to boot the kernel with kexec and load rootfs from an ext2-image laying somewhere in the /media/internal partition.
    While I am familiar with it I haven't ever played with kexec. I am guessing if you could make it work it would be a little less invasive and easier to install.
  3. #23  
    So as of now, cant install it without nuking a current ubuntu install?

    I like ubuntu in webos. :-)

    Looking forward to the future though.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    So as of now, cant install it without nuking a current ubuntu install?

    I like ubuntu in webos. :-)

    Looking forward to the future though.
    I removed Ubuntu a while back but I believe the documented install drops the file system at /media/ext3fs which is where the Bodhi bootloader looks for it. Perhaps you can confirm this?
  5.    #25  
    Btw, if I follow your instructions, I will not lose anything on my webOS right?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Btw, if I follow your instructions, I will not lose anything on my webOS right?
    Nope you shouldn't if everything goes well. I uninstalled and reinstalled Bodhi to test my guide. The riskiest part is installing moboot. Validating that each line in the moboot install executes correctly and verifying the results will allow you to correct errors or back out the change if necessary. Once you reboot at the end of the moboot install you're committed. Worst case scenario would be a visit to the webOS Dr in which case it might be wise to make sure your backups are current. The only risky part in the Bodhi install is if you shrink the media partition such that it is smaller than your current requirements. For this just make sure you have more than 4GB available in Device Info before you begin.

    During the moboot install before the "sync" command type "ls -l". The results should include the values below. This doesn't include all of the results but these are the important pieces. Pay attention to the permissions, ownership, and file sizes.

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Dec 19 07:10 uImage -> uImage.moboot
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3859532 Dec 26 15:13 uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderloin
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4857082 Dec 29 22:02 uImage.Bodhi
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 64508 Dec 19 07:10 uImage.moboot
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Dec 17 11:00 uImage.webOS -> uImage-2.6.35-palm-tenderloin
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 01/01/2012 at 01:36 PM.
  7. #27  
    I added the moboot validation in the updated version of my former post to the original installation instructions.
  8.    #28  
    Hmm, I'm stuck at Tailor. I rebooted, then opened Tailor and it said that I needed to reboot. So I tried again but it still wants me to reboot. What the ...?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Hmm, I'm stuck at Tailor. I rebooted, then opened Tailor and it said that I needed to reboot. So I tried again but it still wants me to reboot. What the ...?
    Strange usually a reboot takes care of it. You are doing a full device restart, correct?

    If so, is Tailor the only application you are running after the reboot?
  10. #30  
    Is /boot ever going to be resized or other ways of booting kernels? I already know I cant try this unless I move around CWM or android or the webos kernel files around. :-/
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    Is /boot ever going to be resized or other ways of booting kernels? I already know I cant try this unless I move around CWM or android or the webos kernel files around. :-/
    You don't have enough space for the new bootloader? I have CM7, webOS and Bodhi and I am using 87% of /boot.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Strange usually a reboot takes care of it. You are doing a full device restart, correct?

    If so, is Tailor the only application you are running after the reboot?
    Yes, full device restart and Tailor is the only app I run after the reboot. So I don't get why Tailor doesn't work properly.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    You don't have enough space for the new bootloader? I have CM7, webOS and Bodhi and I am using 87% of /boot.
    df /boot
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 31728 26884 4844 85% /boot


    thats without uimage.Bodhi, and its 4857082, not sure if it will fit.

    my /boot looks like this:

    /boot# ls -al drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Jan 1 19:46 . drwxr - Pastebin.com

    anything I can do? (note, this is with CWM moved, it normally should be in /boot as well)

    *** is update-uimage, and wonder if I can erase it
    Last edited by grazzt; 01/01/2012 at 06:56 PM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    df /boot
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 31728 26884 4844 85% /boot


    thats without uimage.Bodhi, and its 4857082, not sure if it will fit.

    my /boot looks like this:

    /boot# ls -al drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Jan 1 19:46 . drwxr - Pastebin.com

    anything I can do? (note, this is with CWM moved, it normally should be in /boot as well)

    *** is update-uimage, and wonder if I can erase it
    Update: ** FAIL **

    You can try moving uImage.CyanogenMod and/or uImage.Bodhi out of boot and create a sym link to it in /boot. From the /boot directory run:

    Code:
    ln -s /new/path/uImage.CyanogenMod uImage.CyanogenMod
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 01/01/2012 at 11:16 PM.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Yes, full device restart and Tailor is the only app I run after the reboot. So I don't get why Tailor doesn't work properly.
    Are in Development mode? I am not sure if this matters but it's something to try if you aren't. If all else fails you can always create the partition manually. There is a guide here that should work.

    Did you get moboot set up?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    You can try moving uImage.CyanogenMod and/or uImage.Bodhi out of boot and create a sym link to it in /boot. From the /boot directory run:

    Code:
    ln -s /new/path/uImage.CyanogenMod uImage.CyanogenMod
    moboot actually knows about the other partitions? thats cool if it does.

    Tomorrow I'll try it, and if not, I'll just erase update-uimage, it seems others have done that.

    (and as posted above, should be mentioned somewhere that you have to have developer mode on, I know most people using novaterm know that, but should still mention it)
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    (and as posted above, should be mentioned somewhere that you have to have developer mode on, I know most people using novaterm know that, but should still mention it)
    I will, I tend to forget this step since I have been in dev mode since day one.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    moboot actually knows about the other partitions? thats cool if it does.

    Tomorrow I'll try it, and if not, I'll just erase update-uimage, it seems others have done that.

    (and as posted above, should be mentioned somewhere that you have to have developer mode on, I know most people using novaterm know that, but should still mention it)
    Wishful thinking on my part I tried moving the Bodhi bootloader and setting up a sym link and was not successful. Looks like plan b. I don't have update-uimage which explains the difference in capacity.
  19. #39  
    You can try to boot the kernel with memboot feature:

    1) turn off the touchpad
    2) connect it to your machine
    3) press the Volume Up key and power on the device, you should see a giant USB logo on the device
    4) novacom boot mem:// < uImage
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Are in Development mode? I am not sure if this matters but it's something to try if you aren't. If all else fails you can always create the partition manually. There is a guide here that should work.

    Did you get moboot set up?
    Yes, I'm in dev mode and moboot is installed and working properly.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions