Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    So as I mentioned some time ago I was planning to implement some PDF review/markup/notes/annotation/highlighting functionality - originally planned as patch for in-rom Adobe Rader ... but now implemented as standalone app ...

I am looking for someone who can give me end-user feedback, ideally someone who could be classified as 'heavy user' of such app.

Thanks!

http://www.box.com/s/xz56t9ody9ifvqvzjj0z

NOTES:
    - Highlighter has no PDF engine, it does not render pages and it depends on default Adobe Reader (using original arxservice)
    - Before you can work with any file in Highlighter you have to open file in AR and view each page
    - To change page in app you can either DOUBLE-TAP left third/right third part of the page ... or you can use GoTo page function (TAP on X/Y box in toolbar)
    - To scroll page use TWO-FINGER drag
    - To highlight with selected pen color / size use SINGLE-FINGER drag
    - To enter Note select 'Note' icon from toolbar first, then use SINGLE-FINGER drag to select desired width of text box ... enter text into pop-up window (that pops-up) and press OK .. text box will be placed in top left corner of desired box, but its actual size will be calculated automatically
    - To undo last action - tap 'Undo' icon in toolbar. Undo is working even after document is closed and reopened
    - Notes/highlights are saved automatically upon exiting and loaded also automatically upon opening

v0.0.4:
    - option to collapse/expand note
    - line merging (improves undo)

More features / improvements in the pipeline, stay tuned ...
    Last edited by devwithoutpower; 12/21/2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'd be happy to help. I'm a doctoral student in history so I do a bit of annotating articles.
  3.    #3  
    v0.0.2 with auto save/load functionality is ready for testing at same place ... sorry - still not public, but it looks that public version is coming soon - just some UI cleanup / tweaks and one more feature I want to add before releasing
    ok heres what i got

first of THANK YOU SO much for taking this on and finally getting a annotation app on web os

i know this is EARLY beta, so ill be nice as i can, but heres some things that need improving

1) while highlighting wider portions there isnt a smooth line always sometimes little "cracks" or tiny gaps appear on highlighted areas. not huge but u have to re scroll over with finger to fill in voids.
    2) while using the eraser scrubing up and down it moves the pages as well. can only erase sideways- perhaps make a dedicated "erase" button so it locks page instead of just using the highlighter with white color
    3) when erasing highlighted or txt portions the original pdf text is lightened slightly IE: black text become a bit more gray -
    4) make adding text a bit easier. Depending how i drawed the line is how the text would follow but after i entered text depending on how much i wrote the text field went on and covered some of the original pdf document and made it unreadable.
    Perhaps after txt has been added make an option to "resize" the text box so it wouldnt cover some of the original pictures/text. have it type out in a box and then grab the corner to resize
    5) please add pinch to zoom or some zoom options

im sure ur working on many changes and adding things mentioned and things like saving as a new file and emailing from app would be nice down the road.

thanks !
    Kevin
    Last edited by kevlarcompg; 12/18/2011 at 12:35 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all early comments ... I decided to make it public - so now anyone can play with it / comment ...
    touchpadmd1203 likes this.
    Thx for releasing this. I use annotated PDFs a lot to provide comments, feedbacks, change requests, etc. However, the comments below would also hold true for making annotations to yourself for a paper or an article, etc.

1) The notes functionality would really benefit from a way to collapse/expand the content. Sometimes, having the notes cover the document is okay, but most often it isn't. The design-pattern that most people are used to would be an icon to indicate the location of a note. A single-click to open the content of the note, with options to edit, delete, and drag the window around because sometimes the note is referring to something that is being obscured by the notes window itself.

2) The undo functionality undos a single-step, which makes sense. However, in the case of high-lighting text users may actually want to undo the entire thing. This function could benefit from being split into two modes: stepped-undo (undoing single steps of an action or tool) or action-undo (undoing all the steps of an action or tool). The tool icon could be a select-toggle to jump between the two mode.

3) Alternatively, the undo functionality could be left as-is if there were a select-tool to select any annotation objects such as highlights or notes. Selecting an object would reveal an actions menu that contains things like delete, edit color, move, etc.
    I'll be resetting and reloading a few patches in the coming days - I'll be sure to try it out. I'm a final year law student heading in to PG studies so it should get some use
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    How do I install this? When I download from box on my tp I get an error and can't open the MIME type. I downloaded it to dropbox but when I try to install from there I get "invalid or missing filename parameter". I tried deleting everything after the .ipk in the filename and get a different error.
    Download to ur desktop.

Load via webOS quick install
    Will show up as an app in ur download tab on ur Tpad

Remember to press cancel NOT go into USB mode when u plug in ur Tpad
    Any chance bringing back 1 finger scrolling from 0.0.2? I loved the double tap to flip between navigate and pen mode. And scrolling was a lot better. The double finger scroll is really touchy.

Thanks for all ur efforts. I've used it quite a bit last few days.

*Not sure if this a bug or just me but sometimes while scrolling a large highlight streak will show up for no reason and I'll have to erase.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcompg View Post
    Any chance bringing back 1 finger scrolling from 0.0.2? I loved the double tap to flip between navigate and pen mode. And scrolling was a lot better. The double finger scroll is really touchy.
    Still experimenting with UI ... will upload 0.0.4 soon ... mostly improves placing Notes (collapsed/expanded using simple tapping) ... and since double-tap is used for page navigation ... I agree with you that 2 finger scrolling is not as smooth yet ... we will see...

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcompg View Post
    *Not sure if this a bug or just me but sometimes while scrolling a large highlight streak will show up for no reason and I'll have to erase.
    Sometimes mousemove event is registered outside of page area that leads to this problem ... nothing undo cant solve ... but for sure later I will look into it as well and fix it so it is not happening easily
  12.    #12  
    v0.0.4 uploaded
    I still think ver. 0.0.2 is better for navigation. Plus would be nice to reintroduce a navigation button and double tap to switch between highlighter and nav mode. Especially for using a stylus the 2 finger drag wouldn't work. Having the page arrows is less work and just as fast.

Also wondering if u can introducing zooming into future update?

Just my 2cents

Thanks so much
    hi i tried to download to touchpad the software but all i get is this file: c46a6e90fe9e252bbdc3f973a2e44c82
    pls help
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mushko77 View Post
    hi i tried to download to touchpad the software but all i get is this file: c46a6e90fe9e252bbdc3f973a2e44c82
    pls help
    rename it with an ipk extension.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    thnx but didn't work, im stuck with Downloading/Installing screen in preware
    after that did try to restart luna .. now it won't load even feeds at start ... pls help
    U should install this via webOS quick instal instead of preware.
    pls help
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    thnx but didn't work, im stuck with Downloading/Installing screen in preware
    after that did try to restart luna .. now it won't load even feeds at start ... pls help
    Worked fine here, renamed to "xx.highlighter_0.0.4_all.ipk" and it installed fine, thanks.
    Made an account just to post a BIG THANK YOU!

I mean really, it's about time. After a days worth of usage, I have two suggestions,
    1) zoom (pref pinching?)
    2) easier way to flip pages. add some buttons on the bottom? or a scroll bar? having to click it, and typing a page number each time is a little annoying.

And why on earth are you banned?!
    devwithoutpower got banned for breaking forum rules ... as simple as that
    but no worries - it is not as bad as it looks ... that rule was one about duplicate accounts, in other words - I am still here, just using new name...

And new version of Highlighter is coming - with even better functionality... stay tuned...
    knownboyofno and marc25v like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast