1.    #1  
    In exhibition mode, why can't I use the pictures that are stored on my home server as my screen saver just like I do with my laptops? Unless I am really missing something, I can't seem to be able to connect the touchpad to my home network other than for WiFi. I have seen on this forum that there are various homebrew apps to download files to the touchpad from my network, but I want to be able to just access files on my network without having to put a copy on the Touchpad.

This may have a potentially dumb question. I am new to Webos. I bought the touchpad because it was a cheap way to get my wife a tablet for the kitchen.
    Last time I did that, I was not able to do it with stock webOS.
    It involved uberkernel (for cfis support), Internals Pro (for simple file browsing), terminal (to mount shared folders)

anyway if you search the forum you should quickly find a step-by-step guide to do that as it's been heavily discussed

edit
    there you go: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rk-shares.html
    I don't think there are -any- tablets that come stock with the ability to access network shares. It's a bit baffling.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    This can be used to mount Windows Home Server shares gandjdavis. All you need is preware, and to install uberkernel. Then install the latest version of the software I've linked you to, and that lets you mount shares. The app itself is great. The main caveat is that not all apps can see the mounted files, I doubt any of the built in apps can. Internalz lets you browse to them however, as does Touchplayer.

It's a start at least!

An alternate way of doing it would probably be to upload the photos you wanted as a screensaver to facebook. The TP should then sync with your fb account and then I expect you could set the screensaver to use that fb photo album

Hope those hints help!
    Quote Originally Posted by gandjdavis View Post
    In exhibition mode, why can't I use the pictures that are stored on my home server as my screen saver just like I do with my laptops? Unless I am really missing something, I can't seem to be able to connect the touchpad to my home network other than for WiFi. I have seen on this forum that there are various homebrew apps to download files to the touchpad from my network, but I want to be able to just access files on my network without having to put a copy on the Touchpad.

This may have a potentially dumb question. I am new to Webos. I bought the touchpad because it was a cheap way to get my wife a tablet for the kitchen.
    What interfaces is your "home server" providing? NFS/AFP/CISS/FTP/HTTP/HTTPS/FTPS?
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Windows Home Server is a Win2000 server heavily modified by MS to be"run and forgot" by us mere mortal home users with no interest in knowing anything else about networks. It works great for a home network, but does not play well with my TouchPad either. I gave up on them interfacing and just sync all my music with HP Play. Then I have anywhere, not just at home.

- Sent from my HP webOS TouchPad -
    -
    - my webOS apps: Bishop Scores, EquiAnalgesia, EquiSteroidia, OB Tracker -
    - Missing webOS phones when I use my iPhone5 and iPad Mini. At least I have my TouchPad to web surf still! -
    So you are using a proprietary protocol and wondering why an "open source" system can't connect to it?

This is one reason I don't have any windows in my house (except the once I look through).

EDIT: Because of the great work of some devs beginning with reverse engineering SMB and the genius kernel makers from webOSinternals you should be able to connect with a different kernel.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the responses. If I move to uberkernal, will I be able to roll back to the stock kernal?