1.    #1  
    As I am sure most of you know by now we have discovered how to add arrow keys, as well as Home, End, Pg Up, and Pg Dn keys to the virtual keyboard. This in and of itself is awesome. The only real problem left is that the Home, End, Pg Up, and Pg Dn keys all look like little squares.

I am looking for help to find the code or file that controls the assignment of what is actually displayed on these keys. For instance the Tab key code is 0001 and somehow webOS knows to display the word "Tab" on this key. While it also knows that 0004 should have the word "Enter" on it. If we can find how this is controlled, it might be possible to assign our own text to these new keys improving the usability of the virtual kb even further.

If anyone know where this can be changed, or manages to find it, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    As I am sure most of you know by now we have discovered how to add arrow keys, as well as Home, End, Pg Up, and Pg Dn keys to the virtual keyboard. This in and of itself is awesome. The only real problem left is that the Home, End, Pg Up, and Pg Dn keys all look like little squares.

I am looking for help to find the code or file that controls the assignment of what is actually displayed on these keys. For instance the Tab key code is 0001 and somehow webOS knows to display the word "Tab" on this key. While it also knows that 0004 should have the word "Enter" on it. If we can find how this is controlled, it might be possible to assign our own text to these new keys improving the usability of the virtual kb even further.

If anyone know where this can be changed, or manages to find it, please let me know.

Thanks,
    If you want to do it as HP did, you are going to need Luna's source code.
    The only other way that I can think of is the font solution: the arrow keys appearance isn't defined in Luna, but in the system font. Adding glyphs to the system font might solve the other keys appearance problem too.
    TouchPad Virtual Keyboard Patches
    webOS Scrollbars

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by isagar2004 View Post
    If you want to do it as HP did, you are going to need Luna's source code.
    The only other way that I can think of is the font solution: the arrow keys appearance isn't defined in Luna, but in the system font. Adding glyphs to the system font might solve the other keys appearance problem too.
    Unfortunately I think the LunaSysMgr is going to have to be hacked either way. From looking through all of the webOS included fonts it seems that Dotum_nb.ttf is the one used for the keyboard. This also contains the arrow keys that it uses. Unfortunately it also seems that ALL of the other keys we are trying to add, use the same character (U+007F). So even if we change that character it would still use the same character for all of the new keys. We need someone with mad hacking skills to be able to interject new code into the LunaSysMgr to assign new values for these keys. I don't care if it points to new font characters, points to specific image files we can edit, or if it just hard codes textual values but I don't think there is going to be any other way around it.

I really hope I am wrong.
    Patches from Maverickz:

Unfortunately I think the LunaSysMgr is going to have to be hacked either way. From looking through all of the webOS included fonts it seems that Dotum_nb.ttf is the one used for the keyboard. This also contains the arrow keys that it uses. Unfortunately it also seems that ALL of the other keys we are trying to add, use the same character (U+007F). So even if we change that character it would still use the same character for all of the new keys. We need someone with mad hacking skills to be able to interject new code into the LunaSysMgr to assign new values for these keys. I don't care if it points to new font characters, points to specific image files we can edit, or if it just hard codes textual values but I don't think there is going to be any other way around it.

I really hope I am wrong.
    U+007F is the Unicode value for 'DELETE'. Besides, I don't see how more than one key can use the same Unicode value, it's just not possible.
    It's not the first time I'm hacking executable to do other things, but your plan requires more than just patching the binary. Injecting new code into compiled executable is complicated enough, adding new variables into existing function is really big problem.

EDIT: PageUp, PageDn Unicode values.
    webOS Scrollbars

5.    #5  
    U+007F is the Unicode value for 'DELETE'. Besides, I don't see how more than one key can use the same Unicode value, it's just not possible.
    It's not the first time I'm hacking executable to do other things, but your plan requires more than just patching the binary. Injecting new code into compiled executable is complicated enough, adding new variables into existing function is really big problem.

EDIT: PageUp, PageDn Unicode values.
    I guess what I am getting at is that I don't think there is currently code in the LunaSysMgr that points these keys to anything. Officially these keys are not even supposed to be used. The 'DELETE' icon just ended up the default for unassigned keys. So even adding new glyphs to the font you still have to be able to tell Luna which glyph goes with which key.

I am going to try and get the email addy for an actual HP webOS dev and see if I can't plead to have this added before dev work is completely shut down.
    Patches from Maverickz:

I guess what I am getting at is that I don't think there is currently code in the LunaSysMgr that points these keys to anything. Officially these keys are not even supposed to be used. The 'DELETE' icon just ended up the default for unassigned keys. So even adding new glyphs to the font you still have to be able to tell Luna which glyph goes with which key.

I am going to try and get the email addy for an actual HP webOS dev and see if I can't plead to have this added before dev work is completely shut down.
    You don't have to tell Luna anything. Luna is just a GUI that is one layer above the one that handles input (which is Qt). If there is no definition in Luna for the appearance of a key, it'll use the default value defined in the input/output layer. That's why even if officially these keys aren't suppose to exists, they do.
    The square is the default glyph that the system uses for any unknown glyph (not just control keys. Try, for example, read Arabic or Thai on your TouchPad and all you'll get would be squares).
    webOS Scrollbars

7.    #7  
    You don't have to tell Luna anything. Luna is just a GUI that is one layer above the one that handles input (which is Qt). If there is no definition in Luna for the appearance of a key, it'll use the default value defined in the input/output layer. That's why even if officially these keys aren't suppose to exists, they do.
    The square is the default glyph that the system uses for any unknown glyph (not just control keys. Try, for example, read Arabic or Thai on your TouchPad and all you'll get are squares).
    I understand what you are saying and I guess there is a chance that might work, that is assuming those keys were originally intended to be a single font character instead of an image or a word. I suppose we could find holes in the font table and put in "test" characters and see if any of those missing characters are assigned to our keys.
    Patches from Maverickz:

I understand what you are saying and I guess there is a chance that might work, that is assuming those keys were originally intended to be a single font character instead of an image or a word. I suppose we could find holes in the font table and put in "test" characters and see if any of those missing characters are assigned to our keys.
    You never worked with fonts/input before, right?
    Usually there are no "holes" in a generated font table, especially not in CJK fonts like Dutom, which can be edited only in fontforge (under Linux, or Windows with cygwin) or FontLab AsiaFont Studio (which is a proprietary software). You just have to create new glyphs with the right Unicode values, edit them and then save the font.
    And BTW, HOME=\u21B8, END=\u2198.
    webOS Scrollbars

9.    #9  
    You never worked with fonts/input before, right?
    Usually there are no "holes" in a generated font table, especially not in CJK fonts like Dutom, which can be edited only in fontforge (under Linux, or Windows with cygwin) or FontLab AsiaFont Studio (which is a proprietary software). You just have to create new glyphs with the right Unicode values, edit them and then save the font.
    And BTW, HOME=\u21B8, END=\u2198.
    In the Dotum font 21B8 does not exist and 2198 is South East Arrow: ↘ This means that webOS is not using U+2198 for the End key or it would be displaying that SE Arrow. The complete list of Unicode characters reveals that U01B8 is "U+01B8 Ƹ Latin Capital Letter Ezh reversed".

IF we can definitively figure out the correct Unicodes for these keys, someone has already volunteered to make the glyphs and update the fonts. We just need to provide the correct values to assign them to.
    Last edited by Maverickz; 11/28/2011 at 06:22 PM.
    Patches from Maverickz:

In the Dotum font 21B8 does not exist and 2198 is South East Arrow: ↘ This means that webOS is not using U+2198 for the End key or it would be displaying that SE Arrow. The complete list of Unicode characters reveals that U01B8 is "U+01B8 Ƹ Latin Capital Letter Ezh reversed".

IF we can definitively figure out the correct Unicodes for these keys, someone has already volunteered to make the glyphs and update the fonts. We just need to provide the correct values to assign them to.
    Might be. I wasn't sure about the Home and End keys. What about the PageUp and PageDn keys?
    Ah, and I didn't say anything about \u01B8.
    webOS Scrollbars

11.    #11  
    Might be. I wasn't sure about the Home and End keys. What about the PageUp and PageDn keys?
    Ah, and I didn't say anything about \u01B8.
    Sorry 21B8 is "↸ NORTH WEST ARROW TO LONG BAR". I cannot find any unicodes for any of these new keys. I am fairly certain they were meant to be represented as text such as the Tab key. If such unicodes existed I would imagine that they would be part of the C0 Controls block or the C1 Controls block but I don't see them. For convenience I have linked directly to the lists.
    Patches from Maverickz:

Sorry 21B8 is "↸ NORTH WEST ARROW TO LONG BAR". I cannot find any unicodes for any of these new keys. I am fairly certain they were meant to be represented as text such as the Tab key. If such unicodes existed I would imagine that they would be part of the C0 Controls block or the C1 Controls block but I don't see them. For convenience I have linked directly to the lists.
    Well, the arrow keys are in the Arrows block, so are the PageUp and PageDn keys. I think that Home and End should be there too.
    webOS Scrollbars

13.    #13  
    Well, the arrow keys are in the Arrows block, so are the PageUp and PageDn keys. I think that Home and End should be there too.
    Here is the complete Unicode Arrow Block. Which ones are you saying are Pg Up and Pg Dn?
    Patches from Maverickz:

Here is the complete Unicode Arrow Block. Which ones are you saying are Pg Up and Pg Dn?
    According to this, this and this, it's 21DE and 21DF.
    webOS Scrollbars

15.    #15  
    According to this, this and this, it's 21DE and 21DF.
    According tot hat first site you linked all 4 of the new keys should be there (as listed below). As I previously mentioned though the End character (2198) already has a glyph in the font but webOS does not use it for the End key which leads me to beleive these are not working. Nevertheless I have asked my volunteer to update the font with new glyphs in these positions to see if it changes anything.

HOME = 0x21B8, /* Home key */
    END = 0x2198, /* End key */
    PGUP = 0x21DE, /* Page Up key */
    PGDN = 0x21DF, /* Page Down key */
    Patches from Maverickz:

According tot hat first site you linked all 4 of the new keys should be there (as listed below). As I previously mentioned though the End character (2198) already has a glyph in the font but webOS does not use it for the End key which leads me to beleive these are not working. Nevertheless I have asked my volunteer to update the font with new glyphs in these positions to see if it changes anything.

HOME = 0x21B8, /* Home key */
    END = 0x2198, /* End key */
    PGUP = 0x21DE, /* Page Up key */
    PGDN = 0x21DF, /* Page Down key */
    According to this site, home and end might have other values - 21F1 and 21F2. I don't own a TouchPad, so I can't tell if it is the right values, but on my Pre3 it looks like these are because they are the only symbols that show up as squares.
    Last edited by isagar2004; 11/28/2011 at 11:29 PM.
    webOS Scrollbars