webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  TouchPad Patches > US QWERTY vkb layout--WITH WORKING ARROW KEYS!!!
US QWERTY vkb layout--WITH WORKING ARROW KEYS!!!
Like Tree79Likes

Old 11/13/2011, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Jan 16, 2012 - 3 New layouts added today. 2 Polish layouts and an AZERTY version of the qyarrowsrighthe patch.

Jan 13, 2012 - ALL LAYOUTS UPDATED FOR webOS 3.0.5!! See second post in this thread.

Nov 23, 2011 - Added a new layout as requested by kkhanmd and updated the mod for Sanjay. I will try to work on screenshots for all but it is going to take some time to load them all and get the shots.

Nov 23, 2011 - Added two new layouts. My new favorite is the one titled "qyarrowsrighthe" in the second post with the Home, End Keys always available.

Nov 21, 2011 - Converted to the new IPK install methods, added some new layout choices and added an uninstall ipk option.
See the second post of the thread for the new details.

I have finally been able to find the right control codes to get arrow keys (left, right, up, and down) working along with Home and End Keys!

Special Thanks to:
Jason Robitaille for the new ipk install instructions.
Dmitry (Compvir) for creating the patching script.
isagar2004 for the install instructions.

If you look at the first screenshot you will see the L and R arrow keys on either side of the numbers in the top row.

The second screenshot shows the secondary KB when you press the +=[] key. You will notice it now has all 4 directional arrows and two funny looking boxes between the repositioned ~ and < keys. These are Home and End respectively. While I rearranged this keyboard a bit, the only keys that are missing are some of the emote keys.

One thing to note is that while holding Shift and using these keys you can highlight text, and then if you can press, hold, and release just right, you can bring up the cut/copy menu. Unfortunately there does not seems to be any cut or copy key codes so we cannot use these functions directly from the kb. Still this is a huge improvement.

If you need this added to a different layout, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
NOTE: See next post for the new IPK install instructions.

Let's begin.

First of all, you must enable developer mode on your TouchPad. To do this, just tap the Just Type and enter this code: webos20090606
The developer mode application will appear in the search results. Open it and turn on developer mode, DO NOT set a password. It is recommended to restart your device after that.
Install Preware if it isn't already installed: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

You also need a command line tool to access the device's Linux operating system later on this guide. You can either use novaterm which is installed as part of the official webOS SDK, or you can use the command tool that is built in to the webOS Quick Install (WOSQI) that you used to install Preware earlier. I have received reports that this DOES NOT work with XTerm but it may work with other command line tools. I have not tried them all to see.

The installation:

- Download keypatch.zip.
- Unzip this wherever you want on your hard drive. It should create a subfolder named keypatch. This is the script needed to install the patch.
- Download the qwertyarrows.zip file from the link at the end of this post.
- Unzip the qwertyarrows.zip file into the keypatch folder created earlier.
- Connect your TouchPad to your computer and select the USB Drive option on the TouchPad's screen. This will create a new drive letter in Windows Explorer for your TP (remember this drive letter).
- Copy the keypatch folder to your TouchPad.
- Disconnect your TouchPad by right clicking the drive icon for the TP in Windows Explorer and selecting Eject.
- Remove and reconnect the USB cable from your TouchPad but this time hit "Close" on the USB Drive prompt.
- Open a command window using novaterm or WOSQI.
--- If you installed the SDK, the default path for novaterm is c:\program files\palm inc.\terminal. Double-click the novaterm.bat file to open novaterm, click the File menu and select "Connect".
---If you did NOT install the SDK, you can use the WOSQI tool. Open WOSQI, click the Tools menu and select "Linux Commandline".
- Navigate to the keypatch directory by typing cd /media/internal/keypatch and press Enter.
- Create a template file by typing sh patch.sh generate and press Enter.
- Apply the patch by typing sh patch.sh patch qwertyarrows.json and press Enter.

Be patient. This process might take about 10 minutes. When this completes it should reboot the operating system automatically.

- When done, close the command window, disconnect the USB cable and enjoy your more functional virtual keyboard.

UNINSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
NOTE: See next post for the new IPK install instructions.
Should you ever want to revert to the stock virtual keyboard you can do so as follows.
- Connect the USB cable to your TouchPad and hit "Close" on the USB Drive prompt.
- Open the command window as you did to perform the install.
- Navigate to the keypatch directory by typing cd /media/internal/keypatch and press Enter.
- Type sh patch.sh revert and press Enter. This process will take couple of minutes and when it completes it will reboot the OS and the keyboard will be back to normal.

DIY KEY CODES:
For advanced users that know how to and want to modify their own keyboard layout files here are the known control key codes. They are all Type = "S". At this time I have tested all codes up to 0033 and this is all I have found that was useful. I am still looking for cut/copy/paste functionality.

0001 Tab
0003 Backspace
0004 Enter
0010 Home
0011 End
0012 Left Arrow
0013 Up Arrow
0014 Right Arrow
0015 Down Arrow
0016 Page Up
0017 Page Down
0020 Shift
0023 +=[]

KEYBOARD LAYOUTS:
Standard US QWERTY keyboard with Arrows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arrowkb1.jpg (126.6 KB, 3632 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg arrowkb2.jpg (122.7 KB, 3226 views) Email Attachment
Attached Files
File Type: zip qwertyarrows.zip (3.7 KB, 3633 views) Email Attachment

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Last edited by Maverickz; 01/16/2012 at 10:03 PM.
Maverickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bmacfarland, oneklassy1, ktessner and 45 others like this.
Old 11/13/2011, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

NEW INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS FOR IPK VERSIONS:

If you do not already have webOS Quick Install (WOSKI), get it. See original post for more details.

Uninstall previous patches using either the New Uninstall IPK OR by typing sh patch.sh revert at a command prompt, see original post for detailed instructions.
NOTE: It is recommended to uninstall all kb layout patches prior to installing new ones OR updating webOS to a new version.

Download the appropriate zip file from the below list and unzip it somewhere on your hard drive.
Run WOSKI
Click the green + sign.
Find and select the the IPK file that you unzipped earlier.
Click the install button on WOSKI
The install may take about 10 min or longer, please be patient.

If you have interest in a custom keyboard layout, please PM me for assistance.

NEW UNINSTALLER IPK:
uninstall - You can uninstall the original patch, as well as all of the IPK patches below by installing this ipk using the method outlined in the New Install Instructions above. Just substitute the uninstall IPK in place of a regular install file.

NEW 3.05 KEYBOARD LAYOUTS:
  • originalarrowsall - Adds arrow keys for QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts. This is the same as the original arrow patch in IPK form with the added support for the other layouts.
  • allkbarrowsright - This places BOTH the Left and Right Arrow keys to the right of the number keys on the top row. Supports QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts.
  • allkbarrowsleft - This places BOTH the Left and Right Arrow keys to the left of the number keys on the top row. Supports QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts.
  • atcomalwayson - This patch makes the @ and .com keys always available (except when an app uses it's own custom kb). This also puts both arrows keys to the right of the number keys on the top row.
  • sanjaycustom - This is a custom QWERTY ONLY patch with the L/R arrows to the right of the number keys, the character page is standard, the @ and .com keys are always on, and the @ key is moved to the left of the +=[] key.
  • qyarrowsrighthe - This is a QWERTY only patch with the arrows to the right of the numbers, and Home, End keys (look like squares) on either side of the space bar. The special character page has all 4 directional arrows and a Pg Up and Pg Dn keys (also look like squares) to the right of the down arrow and ~ keys.
    NOTE: With the qyarrowsrighthe patch the @ and .com keys have been replaced with the Home, End Keys and will NOT show up for emails.
  • ayarrowsrighthe - This is a AZERTY version of the qyarrowsrighthe above.
    NOTE: With the ayarrowsrighthe patch the @ and .com keys have been replaced with the Home, End Keys and will NOT show up for emails.
  • swaptabshift - This is exactly the same as atcomalwayson except the Left Shift and Tab keys have been swapped.

New 3.0.5 Polish patches
  • polish-pelcu1_QWERTY_1.3.5.zip - This is a QWERTY ONLY patch with the L/R arrows to the right of the number keys, the @ and .com keys are always on and the spacebar key is long. All polish special characters are available via tap & hold corresponding main letter. Screenshots. Thanks to Pelcu.
  • polish-pelcu2_QWERTY_1.3.5.zip - Polish keyboard with long spacebar key, '@' and '.com' keys always on and both arrow keys on the right side of the numbers row. Polish special chars are available via tap & hold corresponding letter or on secondary keyboard layer (+=[] key). Patches QWERTY only. - Screenshots.Thanks to Pelcu.

OLD 3.04 KEYBOARD LAYOUTS:
  • originalarrowsall - Adds arrow keys for QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts. This is the same as the original arrow patch in IPK form with the added support for the other layouts.
  • allkbarrowsright - This places BOTH the Left and Right Arrow keys to the right of the number keys on the top row. Supports QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts.
  • allkbarrowsleft - This places BOTH the Left and Right Arrow keys to the left of the number keys on the top row. Supports QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts.
  • atcomalwayson - This patch makes the @ and .com keys always available (except when an app uses it's own custom kb). This also puts both arrows keys to the right of the number keys on the top row.
  • sanjaycustom - This is a custom QWERTY ONLY patch with the L/R arrows to the right of the number keys, the character page is standard, the @ and .com keys are always on, and the @ key is moved to the left of the +=[] key.
  • qyarrowsrighthe - This is a QWERTY only patch with the arrows to the right of the numbers, and Home, End keys (look like squares) on either side of the space bar. The special character page has all 4 directional arrows and a Pg Up and Pg Dn keys (also look like squares) to the right of the down arrow and ~ keys.
    NOTE: With the qyarrowsrighthe patch the @ and .com keys have been replaced with the Home, End Keys and will NOT show up for emails.
  • swaptabshift - This is exactly the same as atcomalwayson except the Left Shift and Tab keys have been swapped.

Patches from Maverickz:
Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS
CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?

Last edited by Maverickz; 01/16/2012 at 07:32 PM.
Liked by kkhanmd, HelloNNNewman, blackfireball5 and 12 others like this.
Old 11/13/2011, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

what was wrong with the other one? it installed fine on my touchpad, should I remove it and install this one instead?
hkowalczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2011, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkowalczyk View Post
what was wrong with the other one? it installed fine on my touchpad, should I remove it and install this one instead?
No, there is no need to reinstall. Nothing has changed as far as the patch goes. The original post was deleted because the instructions that I copied from the other thread by isagar2004 contained illegal redistribution links to the novaterm tool that is owned by Palm/HP. This thread just links to the official webOS SDK as the source for the novaterm tool to avoid any infringement.

I have updated the OP to avoid any confusion.

Thanked By: MrPobears
Old 11/13/2011, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, thanks. This is great, makes the keyboard perfect. BTW, I can cut & paste just fine after selecting with shift and arrows and then tapping the yellow highlight.
hkowalczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2011, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkowalczyk View Post
Ok, thanks. This is great, makes the keyboard perfect. BTW, I can cut & paste just fine after selecting with shift and arrows and then tapping the yellow highlight.
Actually I had discovered that and was in the process of updating the original post when it was removed. I have updated this one with the new info. Thanks.

Old 11/14/2011, 01:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm new to this stuff...Can you tell me what happens to this patch if you have to doctor and what happens to this when you do a system update? Does the patch stay, does it revert to the stock keyboard...??? Or, do you need to undo the patch before you doctor or do a system update?
elsie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2011, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

nice work. this seems to work very well and is quite easy to install. for just the few minutes that I've used it, I'm finding it hard to remember that I have arrow keys now having made do without for so long!

for those tempted to try to install this with xterm, you can't! it has to shutdown Luna before copying in the updated file, at which point the xterm dies and the shell running the script dies with it. I believe you might be able to do it by putting an & at the end of the patch command line so that it runs in it's own process, but I've not tried it that way - if you don't understand the consequences of that, best to just follow the instructions and do it with a USB cable.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2011, 03:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

I Installed mine with Webos QuickInstall (Tools-Command line) and it worked fine.

From the previous posting, what chance of a keyboard layout chart that we could fill out and a program could use to define each key?

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2011, 03:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks, Johnsonx42. Got it installed now. Boy its nice having better kb control. Once again, thanks to all the devs who worked on this!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2011, 07:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Works great thanks.
Lawmaker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bdbr likes this.
Old 11/14/2011, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

Very nice work, thanks a lot!
I can see that I now have the arrow keys in the English and the Spanish Keyboard Layout but unfortunately not in the German one, so can I apply multiple patches like adding the german.keypatch.zip from isagar2004 without overwriting this one?
joe_doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2011, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Another success story, thank you very much for this. Very useful!
Old 11/14/2011, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie2 View Post
I'm new to this stuff...Can you tell me what happens to this patch if you have to doctor and what happens to this when you do a system update? Does the patch stay, does it revert to the stock keyboard...??? Or, do you need to undo the patch before you doctor or do a system update?
Since this is the first time I have ever patched my kb (webOS v 3.0.4) I have not been through an upgrade with a patched kb. So honestly I do not know. I have included in the OP instructions to uninstall the patch, so if you are worried about what wil happen you may uninstall it before upgrading or doctoring.

Perhaps one of our older members that has been using a kb patch for a while can shed some light on this topic.

Old 11/14/2011, 09:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
I Installed mine with Webos QuickInstall (Tools-Command line) and it worked fine.

From the previous posting, what chance of a keyboard layout chart that we could fill out and a program could use to define each key?

Alan
As easy to edit as these .json files are I am not sure that would be worth the trouble. I will consider it though. In the meantime there is a really great reference on how to edit these files HERE.

I will add a few points:
1. Don't be afraid to experiment. In my quest to find these arrows keys I patched some really crazy stuff to my keyboard. At one point there wasn't but about 3 keys on the whole thing that actually did anything. Performing the revert function mentioned in the OP always puts everything back to normal. Bottom line, if it is possible to permanently mess up your kb, you would probably have to try pretty damn hard to do it.

2. As part of my install instructions you should have ran the sh patch.sh generate command, this created a template .json file I forget the exact name right now. Copy this file to your computer, rename it and then edit it. Find the key that represents the CURRENT key that you want the new key to go and change it. Save the file and test it out.

3. For non-character fields (SHIFT, ENTER, TAB< and Arrows) these are always set to Type ="S" and the values of the known keys are listed in my OP.

Good luck and happy patching.

Liked by muradalaqtash likes this.
Thanked By: muradalaqtash
Old 11/14/2011, 09:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_doe View Post
Very nice work, thanks a lot!
I can see that I now have the arrow keys in the English and the Spanish Keyboard Layout but unfortunately not in the German one, so can I apply multiple patches like adding the german.keypatch.zip from isagar2004 without overwriting this one?
It is my understanding that the patches can be localized and not affect each other. I have never personally tried it and I could not speak to how isagar2004 has localized his patches. The best I can say is try it, if it doesn't work, you can always use the uninstall instructions above to start over. Also you could use the DIY Codes I posted to edit your own file, if you feel comfortable with that. It may also be that you are setting the German KB up to use QWERTZ and AZERTY layouts. This only patches the QWERTY layout. Try changing to QWERTY and see if that fixes the issue.

If none of those options work, then set your kb to your desired language and location, open a terminal window and execute the sh patch.sh generate command and send me the resulting template file along with where you would like the new keys mapped to and I will try to make that happen for you.

Thanked By: Apelles
Old 11/14/2011, 09:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

definitely gonna give this a shot tonight.
FenrirWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2011, 09:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

As is the case when you use the Doctor with other patches, everything on the OS side of things will be completely written over, and you should have yourself a "new" TouchPad.

I would be a little more cautious with system updates. I did update to 3.0.4, with no known effects, but that was a risk I was willing to take.
Old 11/14/2011, 10:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
As is the case when you use the Doctor with other patches, everything on the OS side of things will be completely written over, and you should have yourself a "new" TouchPad.

I would be a little more cautious with system updates. I did update to 3.0.4, with no known effects, but that was a risk I was willing to take.
That is what I figured with doctoring, thanks for the confirmation. As far as OTA updates go, my assumption would be that it should remain intact unless the update includes kb changes. In that case the files should be overwritten. I do know that if the patch is removed before the update then you can't put it back until the offsets for the patch tool is updated. However, if the update does cause a problem, then doctoring would be the only way to fix it.

Old 11/14/2011, 11:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks!! This is awesome!!!
Trovahead is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0