Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bartoman View Post
    Is this correct ?
    When I download the qwertyarrows.zip file it comes up as html file

any thoughts
    not sure what you are using to download the file. firefox, right click and chose to download link to destination.
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I wasn't really fond of having the arrow keys 'split' around the number keys. For me they were harder to use that way, and the numbers were too far to the right... on a normal keyboard the #1 is above and a little left of the Q, and the #0 is above and left of the P. The arrow key layout given in this thread has the #1 above the W, and the #0 is slightly right of the P.

I edited the layout slightly to put both arrows to the right of the numbers, leaving the 1 to the far left directly above the Q. For me this alignment makes use of the arrows far easier, and aligns the numbers more closely to a normal keyboard (though certainly not exactly).

Alternate qwertyarrows.json attached. All other instructions for installation remain the same. To install mine I first removed the keyboard patch, then re-installed with my modified file. It might be possible to just directly install with the modified file over the original, but I did not try it... no interest in making a mess!
    Is there an IPK for this layout?
    And (assuming it doesn't have it yet), would be nice to see the shift thing work for the up and down arrows...
    Last edited by isaacl; 11/20/2011 at 07:48 PM.
    I wasn't really fond of having the arrow keys 'split' around the number keys. For me they were harder to use that way, and the numbers were too far to the right... on a normal keyboard the #1 is above and a little left of the Q, and the #0 is above and left of the P. The arrow key layout given in this thread has the #1 above the W, and the #0 is slightly right of the P.

I edited the layout slightly to put both arrows to the right of the numbers, leaving the 1 to the far left directly above the Q. For me this alignment makes use of the arrows far easier, and aligns the numbers more closely to a normal keyboard (though certainly not exactly).

Alternate qwertyarrows.json attached. All other instructions for installation remain the same. To install mine I first removed the keyboard patch, then re-installed with my modified file. It might be possible to just directly install with the modified file over the original, but I did not try it... no interest in making a mess!
    Any way to get this as an IPK package?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Sure... get the attention of someone who has some clue how to make an .ipk! I imagine it would be as simple as unpacking the .ipk Jason provided in post 85, substituting my qwertyarrows.json, and then repacking the .ipk. At the moment I'm not keen on figuring out how to do that.

edit: I went ahead and posted my alternate layout in isagar2004's keyboard patch thread; he said he'd make it into an .ipk soon. so check for it there tomorrow maybe.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 11/21/2011 at 03:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    And (assuming it doesn't have it yet), would be nice to see the shift thing work for the up and down arrows...
    ooohh... good idea! why didn't I think of that? on it...

edit: oh, I know why I didn't think of that, because I don't know how to do it. the shifted function of each key is not controlled by the assignments in the .json file. lunasysmgr 'knows' what the shifted value of each key is. i.e. if you define a given key as, say, a Char "3" it just knows that shifted it's supposed to be a "#"; likewise, some keys have no change in shifted value, so a shifted left arrow is just a left arrow and there's no way to tell it otherwise.

edit 2: wait, maybe I'm wrong about that... different types of keys may behave differently when shifted... trying something out now...
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 11/21/2011 at 12:59 AM.
    ok, I figured out how to make the left/right arrows shift to up/down arrows. however it doesn't work correctly. holding shift makes it highlight text as it goes up/down, and you can no longer hold shift and highlight left/right.

so, here's the modified file if you want to try it, but I'm not using it myself.

(and yes, before you ask, I checked and the way I figured it out is exactly what isagar2004 did in the other thread. I'm pretty sure as soon as everyone discovers the downside to this, they'll be screaming for the old versions back again)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ok, I figured out how to make the left/right arrows shift to up/down arrows. however it doesn't work correctly. holding shift makes it highlight text as it goes up/down, and you can no longer hold shift and highlight left/right.

so, here's the modified file if you want to try it, but I'm not using it myself.

(and yes, before you ask, I checked and the way I figured it out is exactly what isagar2004 did in the other thread. I'm pretty sure as soon as everyone discovers the downside to this, they'll be screaming for the old versions back again)
    Haven't tried this, but will
    the shifted arrow also 'scroll' a Doc?
    If so, this might make a great vertical 'Copy/Paste' tool!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/21/2011 at 02:59 AM.
    Havent had time to read through the thread yet, but is there a way to move both arrow keys to the top right corner of the keyboard? I want the layout to be:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 < >
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsta1423 View Post
    Havent had time to read through the thread yet, but is there a way to move both arrow keys to the top right corner of the keyboard? I want the layout to be:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 < >
    Look at post #112
    isagar2004 created .ipk's with my arrows-on-right layout. The one without the shiftable arrows is here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3248773

If you want the one with the shiftable arrows, it's in the long list of layouts in the first post of that thread.

Everyone please remember that you cannot install these .ipk's with any on-device installer. You MUST use WOSQI.

Enjoy.

edit: it should be noted that the .ipk's prepared by isagar2004 do have the arrows on the right side of the numbers as advertised, however they do not have the full set of arrows plus home & end keys on the symbol keyboard like the layouts posted by Maverickz and myself. this is understandable as isagar2004 was likely trying to maintain consistency with the other keyboard layouts he posted in his thread. so if you want he exact layout I posted in #112 of this thread, running the patch.sh script per the post #1 instructions remains the only method.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 11/21/2011 at 06:37 PM.
    isagar2004 created .ipk's with my arrows-on-right layout. The one without the shiftable arrows is here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3248773

If you want the one with the shiftable arrows, it's in the long list of layouts in the first post of that thread.

Everyone please remember that you cannot install these .ipk's with any on-device installer. You MUST use WOSQI.

Enjoy.
    My Favourite 'combo' now is actually the original 'qwertyarrows' manual install layout, but with your 'top right' arrows config. in 'keypatch'.
    Nice 'Home' & 'End' keys + easy 'up' & 'down' arrows if nec.
    And who really needs a bunch of emoticon keys anyway?
    Best of both worlds (or 'shifts'!).
    Let's hope it all survives '3.0.5' !

Good work! Thanks again!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/21/2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Arrow keys are definitely one of the most missed virtual keyboard features so this is a nice mod. I just tried it and mostly works fine. Didn't work with the remote desktop client from the app store but guess that's OK cause it's better used with the bluetooth keyboard anyway. Nice job, thanks.
    I noticed today that the bluetooth keyboard is doing the same thing, when trying to use the arrow keys just get lower case "u" characters. Pretty sure these worked before with the bluetooth keyboard. I'll have to try removing this to see if that starts working. Hope that fixed it, RDP is hard enough to use without arrow keys. Obviously I'm not certain it worked before but think it did. Anyway, I'll report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Let's hope it all survives '3.0.5' !
    It's highly unlikely that it would (and honestly a bad sign if it did, since that would mean HP didn't update lunasysmgr!). At a minimum everyone will have to re-apply the keyboard patch. However I'd imagine it's at least probable that the patch script will have to be updated too... certainly you'd want to someone more knowledgable than me to test it out before proceeding willy-nilly.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I noticed today that the bluetooth keyboard is doing the same thing, when trying to use the arrow keys just get lower case "u" characters. Pretty sure these worked before with the bluetooth keyboard. I'll have to try removing this to see if that starts working. Hope that fixed it, RDP is hard enough to use without arrow keys. Obviously I'm not certain it worked before but think it did. Anyway, I'll report back.
    these keyboard patches have no effect on the bluetooth keyboard. the two don't work the same way.
    these keyboard patches have no effect on the bluetooth keyboard. the two don't work the same way.
    Guess you're right, removing the arrows patch didn't change the behavior. I really thought that the arrow keys on the bluetooth keyboard worked with RDP from the hp app catalog at one point, maybe it was before the last upgrade, but no way to test that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    <reserved>
    Maverickz,

Installation went as smooth as silk. Well done!

And so far I haven't seen any issues with it regarding using it with Ubuntu.

Gynotai
  17.    #177  
    Some new news:

I have packaged the original layout (split arrows) into an IPK while aslo adding the support for QWERTZ and AZERTY layouts.

I created an IPK to put the Arrows to the right of the number keys as requested, and also one to put them to the left of the number keys (I prefer the left version).

I have added a layout that causes the @ and .com keys to always be available. This also puts the arrows to the right of the number keys.

Finally to make the uninstall process easier, I also created an uninstall IPK file.

See the SECOND post in this thread for the new details. Thanks always for your support.
    Last edited by Maverickz; 11/21/2011 at 10:29 PM.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

It's highly unlikely that it would (and honestly a bad sign if it did, since that would mean HP didn't update lunasysmgr!). At a minimum everyone will have to re-apply the keyboard patch. However I'd imagine it's at least probable that the patch script will have to be updated too... certainly you'd want to someone more knowledgable than me to test it out before proceeding willy-nilly.
    Yes.. you are right of course!
    Perhaps HP will catch onto what has been occurring here too!
    Let's see how it goes then..

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    NEW INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS FOR IPK VERSIONS:

If you do not already have webOS Quick Install (WOSKI), get it. See original post for more details.

Uninstall previous patches using either the New Uninstall IPK OR by typing sh patch.sh revert at a command prompt, see original post for detailed instructions.
    NOTE: It is recommended to uninstall all kb layout patches prior to installing new ones OR updating webOS to a new version.

Download the appropriate zip file from the below list and unzip it somewhere on your hard drive.
    Run WOSKI
    Click the green + sign.
    Find and select the the IPK file that you unzipped earlier.
    Click the install button on WOSKI
    The install may take about 10 min or longer, please be patient.

If you have interest in a custom keyboard layout, please PM me for assistance.

NEW UNINSTALLER IPK:
    uninstall - You can uninstall the original patch, as well as all of the IPK patches below by installing this ipk using the method outlined in the New Install Instructions above. Just substitute the uninstall IPK in place of a regular install file.

KEYBOARD LAYOUTS:
    • originalarrowsall - Adds arrow keys for QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts. This is the same as the original arrow patch in IPK form with the added support for the other layouts.
    • allkbarrowsright - This places BOTH the Left and Right Arrow keys to the right of the number keys on the top row. Supports QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts.
    • allkbarrowsleft - This places BOTH the Left and Right Arrow keys to the left of the number keys on the top row. Supports QWERTY, QWERTZ, and AZERTY layouts.
    • atcomalwayson - This patch makes the @ and .com keys always available (except when an app uses it's own custom kb). This also puts both arrows keys to the right of the number keys on the top row.

Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
    Click to view quoted image
    This is Kick *** Stuff - Thanks to all involved.
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
    Any plans to make this patch installable via Preware? Very cool patch, thanks.
    Kookaroo, the Roku remote for webOS
    Amtrak Commuter, Check your Train schedule
    GPortal Google shortcuts for Google Plus, Google Voice, Google Tasks and other Google Services
    SiteStatus and SiteStatusPro website monitoring tools for webOS
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast