Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I've NEVER done an install like this before, but I had installed PreWare and WOSQI, so I thought I'd give it a try. I simply sat down and read the instructions as I moved from step to step.

Except for missing the spaces between some "words" in the commands on my first try, I managed to get this to work very smoothly and installed the keyboard improvements without a hitch.

Thank you very much!

Mike
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I wasn't really fond of having the arrow keys 'split' around the number keys. For me they were harder to use that way, and the numbers were too far to the right... on a normal keyboard the #1 is above and a little left of the Q, and the #0 is above and left of the P. The arrow key layout given in this thread has the #1 above the W, and the #0 is slightly right of the P.

I edited the layout slightly to put both arrows to the right of the numbers, leaving the 1 to the far left directly above the Q. For me this alignment makes use of the arrows far easier, and aligns the numbers more closely to a normal keyboard (though certainly not exactly).

Alternate qwertyarrows.json attached. All other instructions for installation remain the same. To install mine I first removed the keyboard patch, then re-installed with my modified file. It might be possible to just directly install with the modified file over the original, but I did not try it... no interest in making a mess!
    Thats neat - now if it was me, I'd put the arrow keys at the bottom right and put the " ' " and " - " keys up a the top right.

Do you feel like having a go?

Alan
    actually I started work last night on a MUCH more ambitious re-design, and quickly got lost. I'll have another go at it this weekend. Stay tuned!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    actually I started work last night on a MUCH more ambitious re-design, and quickly got lost. I'll have another go at it this weekend. Stay tuned!

Follow the Tracks!

Outstanding work, donation on the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Yes this is new thread. The original post was deleted because the instructions that I copied from the other thread by isagar2004 contained illegal redistribution links to the novaterm tool that is owned by Palm/HP. This thread just links to the official webOS SDK as the source for the novaterm tool to avoid any infringement. I have also added instructions to use WOSQI instead. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I have finally been able to find the right control codes to get arrow keys (left, right, up, and down) working along with Home and End Keys!

Special Thanks to:
    Dmitry (Compvir) for creating the patching script.
    isagar2004 for the install instructions.

If you look at the first screenshot you will see the L and R arrow keys on either side of the numbers in the top row.

The second screenshot shows the secondary KB when you press the +=[] key. You will notice it now has all 4 directional arrows and two funny looking boxes between the repositioned ~ and < keys. These are Home and End respectively. While I rearranged this keyboard a bit, the only keys that are missing are some of the emote keys.

One thing to note is that while holding Shift and using these keys you can highlight text, and then if you can press, hold, and release just right, you can bring up the cut/copy menu. Unfortunately there does not seems to be any cut or copy key codes so we cannot use these functions directly from the kb. Still this is a huge improvement.

If you need this added to a different layout, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

Let's begin.

First of all, you must enable developer mode on your TouchPad. To do this, just tap the Just Type and enter this code: webos20090606
    The developer mode application will appear in the search results. Open it and turn on developer mode, DO NOT set a password. It is recommended to restart your device after that.
    Install Preware if it isn't already installed: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

You also need a command line tool to access the device's Linux operating system later on this guide. You can either use novaterm which is installed as part of the official webOS SDK, or you can use the command tool that is built in to the webOS Quick Install (WOSQI) that you used to install Preware earlier. I have received reports that this DOES NOT work with XTerm but it may work with other command line tools. I have not tried them all to see.

The installation:

- Download keypatch.zip.
    - Unzip this wherever you want on your hard drive. It should create a subfolder named keypatch. This is the script needed to install the patch.
    - Download the qwertyarrows.zip file from the link at the end of this post.
    - Unzip the qwertyarrows.zip file into the keypatch folder created earlier.
    - Connect your TouchPad to your computer and select the USB Drive option on the TouchPad's screen. This will create a new drive letter in Windows Explorer for your TP (remember this drive letter).
    - Copy the keypatch folder to your TouchPad.
    - Disconnect your TouchPad by right clicking the drive icon for the TP in Windows Explorer and selecting Eject.
    - Remove and reconnect the USB cable from your TouchPad but this time hit "Close" on the USB Drive prompt.
    - Open a command window using novaterm or WOSQI.
    --- If you installed the SDK, the default path for novaterm is c:\program files\palm inc.\terminal. Double-click the novaterm.bat file to open novaterm, click the File menu and select "Connect".
    ---If you did NOT install the SDK, you can use the WOSQI tool. Open WOSQI, click the Tools menu and select "Linux Commandline".
    - Navigate to the keypatch directory by typing cd /media/internal/keypatch and press Enter.
    - Create a template file by typing sh patch.sh generate and press Enter.
    - Apply the patch by typing sh patch.sh patch qwertyarrows.json and press Enter.

Be patient. This process might take about 10 minutes. When this completes it should reboot the operating system automatically.

- When done, close the command window, disconnect the USB cable and enjoy your more functional virtual keyboard.

UNINSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    Should you ever want to revert to the stock virtual keyboard you can do so as follows.
    - Connect the USB cable to your TouchPad and hit "Close" on the USB Drive prompt.
    - Open the command window as you did to perform the install.
    - Navigate to the keypatch directory by typing cd /media/internal/keypatch and press Enter.
    - Type sh patch.sh revert and press Enter. This process will take couple of minutes and when it completes it will reboot the OS and the keyboard will be back to normal.

DIY KEY CODES:
    For advanced users that know how to and want to modify their own keyboard layout files here are the known control key codes. They are all Type = "S". At this time I have tested all codes up to 0033 and this is all I have found that was useful. I am still looking for cut/copy/paste functionality.

0001 Tab
    0003 Backspace
    0004 Enter
    0010 Home
    0011 End
    0012 Left Arrow
    0013 Up Arrow
    0014 Right Arrow
    0015 Down Arrow
    0016 Page Up
    0017 Page Down
    0020 Shift
    0023 +=[]

KEYBOARD LAYOUTS:
    Standard US QWERTY keyboard with Arrows
    i have an issue with this update. I followed all the steps. It came until a step "Stopping Luna" and my TP got dead!!! i Waited 2 hours, then I tried to turn off and no way I couldn't.

Any idea what to do? I can't not turn it off neither shutdown!!!
    i have an issue with this update. I followed all the steps. It came until a step "Stopping Luna" and my TP got dead!!! i Waited 2 hours, then I tried to turn off and no way I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Yes this is new thread. The original post was deleted because the instructions that I copied from the other thread by isagar2004 contained illegal redistribution links to the novaterm tool that is owned by Palm/HP. This thread just links to the official webOS SDK as the source for the novaterm tool to avoid any infringement. I have also added instructions to use WOSQI instead. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I have finally been able to find the right control codes to get arrow keys (left, right, up, and down) working along with Home and End Keys!

Special Thanks to:
    Dmitry (Compvir) for creating the patching script.
    isagar2004 for the install instructions.

If you look at the first screenshot you will see the L and R arrow keys on either side of the numbers in the top row.

The second screenshot shows the secondary KB when you press the +=[] key. You will notice it now has all 4 directional arrows and two funny looking boxes between the repositioned ~ and < keys. These are Home and End respectively. While I rearranged this keyboard a bit, the only keys that are missing are some of the emote keys.

One thing to note is that while holding Shift and using these keys you can highlight text, and then if you can press, hold, and release just right, you can bring up the cut/copy menu. Unfortunately there does not seems to be any cut or copy key codes so we cannot use these functions directly from the kb. Still this is a huge improvement.

If you need this added to a different layout, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

Let's begin.

First of all, you must enable developer mode on your TouchPad. To do this, just tap the Just Type and enter this code: webos20090606
    The developer mode application will appear in the search results. Open it and turn on developer mode, DO NOT set a password. It is recommended to restart your device after that.
    Install Preware if it isn't already installed: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

You also need a command line tool to access the device's Linux operating system later on this guide. You can either use novaterm which is installed as part of the official webOS SDK, or you can use the command tool that is built in to the webOS Quick Install (WOSQI) that you used to install Preware earlier. I have received reports that this DOES NOT work with XTerm but it may work with other command line tools. I have not tried them all to see.

The installation:

- Download keypatch.zip.
    - Unzip this wherever you want on your hard drive. It should create a subfolder named keypatch. This is the script needed to install the patch.
    - Download the qwertyarrows.zip file from the link at the end of this post.
    - Unzip the qwertyarrows.zip file into the keypatch folder created earlier.
    - Connect your TouchPad to your computer and select the USB Drive option on the TouchPad's screen. This will create a new drive letter in Windows Explorer for your TP (remember this drive letter).
    - Copy the keypatch folder to your TouchPad.
    - Disconnect your TouchPad by right clicking the drive icon for the TP in Windows Explorer and selecting Eject.
    - Remove and reconnect the USB cable from your TouchPad but this time hit "Close" on the USB Drive prompt.
    - Open a command window using novaterm or WOSQI.
    --- If you installed the SDK, the default path for novaterm is c:\program files\palm inc.\terminal. Double-click the novaterm.bat file to open novaterm, click the File menu and select "Connect".
    ---If you did NOT install the SDK, you can use the WOSQI tool. Open WOSQI, click the Tools menu and select "Linux Commandline".
    - Create a template file by typing sh patch.sh generate and press Enter.
    - Apply the patch by typing sh patch.sh patch qwertyarrows.json and press Enter.

Be patient. This process might take about 10 minutes. When this completes it should reboot the operating system automatically.

- When done, close the command window, disconnect the USB cable and enjoy your more functional virtual keyboard.

UNINSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    Should you ever want to revert to the stock virtual keyboard you can do so as follows.
    - Connect the USB cable to your TouchPad and hit "Close" on the USB Drive prompt.
    - Open the command window as you did to perform the install.
    - Type sh patch.sh revert and press Enter. This process will take couple of minutes and when it completes it will reboot the OS and the keyboard will be back to normal.

DIY KEY CODES:
    For advanced users that know how to and want to modify their own keyboard layout files here are the known control key codes. They are all Type = "S". At this time I have tested all codes up to 0033 and this is all I have found that was useful. I am still looking for cut/copy/paste functionality.

0001 Tab
    0003 Backspace
    0004 Enter
    0010 Home
    0011 End
    0012 Left Arrow
    0013 Up Arrow
    0014 Right Arrow
    0015 Down Arrow
    0016 Page Up
    0017 Page Down
    0020 Shift
    0023 +=[]

KEYBOARD LAYOUTS:
    Standard US QWERTY keyboard with Arrows
    Hi Maverickz,
    I have a serious issue with this patch.

I followed all the steps described in your post, only difference I used another tool to connect to the system (xTerminal if I am not wrong).

The installation went well until a step called "Stopping Luna", then I waited 2 hours as opposed to 10 min. I tried to turn off the TP I couldn't neither to turn off

I am wondering what to do now? I let my TP disconnected to see once the battery is gone if the TP gets back to the Webos starting screen.

Do you have any idea/suggestion on what to do?

Only thing I can see now in my TP is the command window with all the commands in green. I don't know how to proceed.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by ediazc View Post

OK.. Please see post #8/9 here.. and probably others too!

And perhaps re-read the OP which states: '..You can either use 'Novaterm', which is installed as part of the official webOS SDK, or you can use the command tool that is built in to the webOS Quick Install (WOSQI) that you used to install Preware earlier. I have received reports that this DOES NOT work with XTerm..'

Essentially when 'Luna' stops.. it ALSO stops 'XTerm'!!!
    Not particularly useful behaviour in this instance!

So, try pressing the 'Power' button and 'Home' button at the same time until TP re-boots and then install & use the WOSQI 'Linux Command Line' window instead?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/18/2011 at 10:21 PM.
    many thanks very helpful.

I got my TP back to life

now I am reinstalling the patch using novaterm

Thanks again
    GREATEST IMPROVEMENT YET to the virtual keyboard. MANY THANKS.... (Now I wish I had not bothered to buy that bluetooth keyboard... it was getting really, really boaring to have to go back to my room and get it to use arrow keys!)

Note: I was confused about having to download TWO zip files. Why not just put the json file inside the first zip to start with? Please... PLEASE get someone to wrap this up to be a conventional Preware patch file.

Again, many many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ediazc View Post
    many thanks very helpful.

I got my TP back to life

now I am reinstalling the patch using novaterm

Thanks again
    No Worries..

Good on Ya! (Lesson? - Well worth reading through ALL the 'guff' first?).

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by CWFlink View Post
    GREATEST IMPROVEMENT YET to the virtual keyboard. MANY THANKS.... (Now I wish I had not bothered to buy that bluetooth keyboard... it was getting really, really boaring to have to go back to my room and get it to use arrow keys!)

Note: I was confused about having to download TWO zip files. Why not just put the json file inside the first zip to start with? Please... PLEASE get someone to wrap this up to be a conventional Preware patch file.

Again, many many thanks!
    Jason's post @ #85 offers an alternative WOSQI installation option, but only with the OP's original 'Arrow-format' as yet I believe?
    It also states: '..I do not recommend installing this ipk with Preware nor Internalz Pro, for the same reason Xterm wasn't recommended with the commandline version: the installation/uninstallation needs to stop/start and edit the LunaSysMgr interface, which itself kills any running webOS apps..'

I guess if we want this excellent patch, we'll just have to do the 'hard yards' to install it too!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/19/2011 at 05:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Great patch - thanks (donated)
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Thank you for this great patch! Very useful.

Donation Confirmation number: 28A73806E4913592S
    having installed ssh/sftp previously, I found PuTTY worked as yet another alternative to WOSQI or novaterm. No (usb) wire!

nicely done Maverickz!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Donated. Thanks to Maverickz for developing this and Jason for making it easier to install.
    Does the stock virtual keyboard have a single tap/touch for 'Shift/Caps Lock'.. or a double tap? In other words:

1). Touch to shift.. 'untouch' to unshift or..
    2). Tap to shift and then tap again to 'unshift'?

I have only recently noticed that I appear to be 'stuck' with the latter config (2) since installing and sampling the 3 arrow key patch versions/methods here? I prefer the former (1)!
    The blue highlight on 'shift key' used, I thought, to indicate 'lock' only via double tap? It now appears to lock on caps with only a single tap anyway and yet also not 'blue-highlight' until a further double tap.

Minor glitch?

Can anyone with a stock keyboard and who has not yet installed the 'with arrows' patch please verify?

Hope this is clear.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/19/2011 at 09:12 AM.
    I install it and it works great so far.

Now we need a way to improve the look of the keys, epically the home and end keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_doe View Post
    ... can I apply multiple patches like adding the german.keypatch.zip from isagar2004 without overwriting this one?
    if the initial post from isagar2004 has been removed, is there a place where I can find the *.keypatch files... If I'm lucky there will be a French one, otherwise this will help me building my own patch...
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast