Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Hello Maverickz, when I type in sh patch.sh patch qwertyarrows.json, it showed

checking main file...
    Main version not detected
    checking backup file...
    backup file not found
    error: no original version found cannot proceed

is it because me running 3.0.2? Thanks.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    Hello Maverickz, when I type in sh patch.sh patch qwertyarrows.json, it showed

checking main file...
    Main version not detected
    checking backup file...
    backup file not found
    error: no original version found cannot proceed

is it because me running 3.0.2? Thanks.
    Did you run the sh patch.sh generate step first?
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Did you run the sh patch.sh generate step first?
    yes I did. It showed the same error message after I typed in this command, which I didn't notice before you mentioned it.

add my screen shot too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by matchqq; 11/15/2011 at 01:05 AM.
  4.    #24  
    yes I did. It showed the same error message after I typed in this command, which I didn't notice before you mentioned it.

add my screen shot too.
    Double check the keypatch folder on your touchpad and make sure the 302.offsets.sh file is there. Dimitri wrote the actual script but from what I can tell glancing at it, that error could occur if the patch cannot determine what version of webOS you are using, or possibly because it doesn't have the offset file. I have heard that some had to doctor to get the script to read the version properly. Let me know if this helps.
    Patches from Maverickz:

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Double check the keypatch folder on your touchpad and make sure the 302.offsets.sh file is there. Dimitri wrote the actual script but from what I can tell glancing at it, that error could occur if the patch cannot determine what version of webOS you are using, or possibly because it doesn't have the offset file. I have heard that some had to doctor to get the script to read the version properly. Let me know if this helps.
    I checked and the offset file is there. I guess might be it can't determine my version, because I have a Chinese input ROM installed which adds several keyboard layout to my TP.

Thanks for the help. I might doctor it to get it installed.
  6.    #26  
    I checked and the offset file is there. I guess might be it can't determine my version, because I have a Chinese input ROM installed which adds several keyboard layout to my TP.

Thanks for the help. I might doctor it to get it installed.
    That is going to be the issue. The script first checks the version of the original files, if those are not reporting the correct info, then it will fail. It has to know this because the offsets vary by version.
    Patches from Maverickz:

This is fantastic.. At last!
    Thanks!

Guess we'll have to see whether HP respond & try a similar 'trick' for a '3.0.5'.. and uninstall this great patch first, if they do?

(Coupla screenshots of 'OK'd 3.0.4 install here.. give the TP some time to 'generate' too) :

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/15/2011 at 03:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    As easy to edit as these .json files are I am not sure that would be worth the trouble. I will consider it though. In the meantime there is a really great reference on how to edit these files HERE.

I will add a few points:
    1. Don't be afraid to experiment. In my quest to find these arrows keys I patched some really crazy stuff to my keyboard. At one point there wasn't but about 3 keys on the whole thing that actually did anything. Performing the revert function mentioned in the OP always puts everything back to normal. Bottom line, if it is possible to permanently mess up your kb, you would probably have to try pretty damn hard to do it.

2. As part of my install instructions you should have ran the sh patch.sh generate command, this created a template .json file I forget the exact name right now. Copy this file to your computer, rename it and then edit it. Find the key that represents the CURRENT key that you want the new key to go and change it. Save the file and test it out.

3. For non-character fields (SHIFT, ENTER, TAB< and Arrows) these are always set to Type ="S" and the values of the known keys are listed in my OP.

Good luck and happy patching.
    Oh goody - time to play !!!!

Many thanks. I'll have a go over the weekend and see what happens.

Alan
    Thank you ever so much! This makes browsing in my webbrain possible! without annoying keyboard side effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_doe View Post
    Very nice work, thanks a lot!
    I can see that I now have the arrow keys in the English and the Spanish Keyboard Layout but unfortunately not in the German one, so can I apply multiple patches like adding the german.keypatch.zip from isagar2004 without overwriting this one?
    Nope, you can apply only one patch at a time. If you want to patch two (or three) different layouts at once, you should edit the JSON file as I described it shortly here.

Quote Originally Posted by elsie2 View Post
    I'm new to this stuff...Can you tell me what happens to this patch if you have to doctor and what happens to this when you do a system update? Does the patch stay, does it revert to the stock keyboard...??? Or, do you need to undo the patch before you doctor or do a system update?
    Most of the TouchPad's system updates ore major versions which replace the LunaSysMgr, so the patch won't survive most of the updates.
    If you doctor your device, you practically get a new TouchPad because the system is erased completely and re-installed again.
    TouchPad Virtual Keyboard Patches
    webOS Scrollbars

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
    At some point in time will this be released as a patch in Preware?
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerf6 View Post
    At some point in time will this be released as a patch in Preware?
    I am not sure how feasible that is going to be considering how the install script works and the required mid script Luna restart. I will ask Jason about it.
    Patches from Maverickz:

Yes this is new thread. The original post was deleted because the instructions that I copied from the other thread by isagar2004 contained illegal redistribution links to the novaterm tool that is owned by Palm/HP. This thread just links to the official webOS SDK as the source for the novaterm tool to avoid any infringement. I have also added instructions to use WOSQI instead. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I have finally been able to find the right control codes to get arrow keys (left, right, up, and down) working along with Home and End Keys!

Special Thanks to:
    Dmitry (Compvir) for creating the patching script.
    isagar2004 for the install instructions.

If you look at the first screenshot you will see the L and R arrow keys on either side of the numbers in the top row.

The second screenshot shows the secondary KB when you press the +=[] key. You will notice it now has all 4 directional arrows and two funny looking boxes between the repositioned ~ and < keys. These are Home and End respectively. While I rearranged this keyboard a bit, the only keys that are missing are some of the emote keys.

One thing to note is that while holding Shift and using these keys you can highlight text, and then if you can press, hold, and release just right, you can bring up the cut/copy menu. Unfortunately there does not seems to be any cut or copy key codes so we cannot use these functions directly from the kb. Still this is a huge improvement.

If you need this added to a different layout, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:

Let's begin.

First of all, you must enable developer mode on your TouchPad. To do this, just tap the Just Type and enter this code: webos20090606
    The developer mode application will appear in the search results. Open it and turn on developer mode, DO NOT set a password. It is recommended to restart your device after that.
    Install Preware if it isn't already installed: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

You also need a command line tool to access the device's Linux operating system later on this guide. You can either use novaterm which is installed as part of the official webOS SDK, or you can use the command tool that is built in to the webOS Quick Install (WOSQI) that you used to install Preware earlier. I have received reports that this DOES NOT work with XTerm but it may work with other command line tools. I have not tried them all to see.

The installation:

- Download keypatch.zip.
    - Unzip this wherever you want on your hard drive. It should create a subfolder named keypatch. This is the script needed to install the patch.
    - Download the qwertyarrows.zip file from the link at the end of this post.
    - Unzip the qwertyarrows.zip file into the keypatch folder created earlier.
    - Connect your TouchPad to your computer and select the USB Drive option on the TouchPad's screen. This will create a new drive letter in Windows Explorer for your TP (remember this drive letter).
    - Copy the keypatch folder to your TouchPad.
    - Disconnect your TouchPad by right clicking the drive icon for the TP in Windows Explorer and selecting Eject.
    - Remove and reconnect the USB cable from your TouchPad but this time hit "Close" on the USB Drive prompt.
    - Open a command window using novaterm or WOSQI. In novaterm, click the File menu and select "Connect". In WOSQI click the Tools menu and select "Linux Commandline".
    - Navigate to the keypatch directory by typing cd /media/internal/keypatch and press Enter.
    - Create a template file by typing sh patch.sh generate and press Enter.
    - Apply the patch by typing sh patch.sh patch qwertyarrows.json and press Enter.

Be patient. This process might take about 10 minutes. When this completes it should reboot the operating system automatically.

- When done, close the command window, disconnect the USB cable and enjoy your more functional virtual keyboard.

UNINSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    Should you ever want to revert to the stock virtual keyboard you can do so as follows.
    - Connect the USB cable to your TouchPad and hit "Close" on the USB Drive prompt.
    - Open the command window as you did to perform the install.
    - Navigate to the keypatch directory by typing cd /media/internal/keypatch and press Enter.
    - Type sh patch.sh revert and press Enter. This process will take couple of minutes and when it completes it will reboot the OS and the keyboard will be back to normal.

DIY KEY CODES:
    For advanced users that know how to and want to modify their own keyboard layout files here are the known control key codes. They are all Type = "S". At this time I have tested all codes up to 0033 and this is all I have found that was useful. I am still looking for cut/copy/paste functionality.

0001 Tab
    0003 Backspace
    0004 Enter
    0010 Home
    0011 End
    0012 Left Arrow
    0013 Up Arrow
    0014 Right Arrow
    0015 Down Arrow
    0016 Page Up
    0017 Page Down
    0020 Shift
    0023 +=[]

KEYBOARD LAYOUTS:
    Standard US QWERTY keyboard with Arrows
    ok you lost me here:
    - Open a command window using novaterm or WOSQI. In novaterm, click the File menu and select "Connect". In WOSQI click the Tools menu and select "Linux Commandline".
    I have preware installed and cm7 but not sure how I kick off noaterm

sorry
    novaterm is in c:\program files\palm inc.\terminal. double-click the novaterm.bat file... it runs the java program.
  15.    #35  
    If you did not install the SDK then you will not have novaterm. Johnsonx42 is correct with the default pat and how to run novaterm if you have it.

ALTERNATIVELY: You can use the webOS Quick Installer (WOSQI). This is the tool you used to install Preware. Open it up and click the Tools menu and select "Linux Commandline".
    Patches from Maverickz:

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    novaterm is in c:\program files\palm inc.\terminal. double-click the novaterm.bat file... it runs the java program.
    tks that worked. need to be added to the install instruction for people that forget thinks lol
    It just got done and rebooted. IT KICK'S ****. THANKS SO MUCH. THE DEV or DEV'S ROCK'S!!!!!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Very cool. Thanks!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by randalldreynolds View Post
    tks that worked. need to be added to the install instruction for people that forget thinks lol
    Done.
    Patches from Maverickz:

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Just installed it using WOSQI and it works great. I like the enhanced copy text functionality too!

Thanks
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast