1.    #1  
    Hi Everyone (this is my 1st thread),

The PreWare patches are great and definitely improve the Touchpad. The one thing I don't understand is why hasn't HP implemented them in the WebOS code so that we no longer have to use the patches? It just seems logical to me - perhaps, there is no communication with the HP WebOS developers and the HomeBrew community so that they never even try these patches?
    There is communicarion and some in the past have been implemented in the past (compache with kernels, etc). However are just preferences and shouldn't be forced upon people. I know what you mean though.
    To expand on what geeksquad posted. The communication between homebrew and webOS developers is so great that some homebrew folks got TouchPads directly from HP and HP donated a $10k server to webOS internals for open source hosting.

For patches to be implemented in the OS they have to be tested to a point beyond what they are tested for homebrew. For devices with cell radios, this would include carrier testing.

Overall, as said above, a lot of patches are preferences, or disable function that a commercial company would like to have in place (such as logging). So most patches are not 100% universal for all users or for business use. Also this is the concept of patching, you are modifying the OS to your liking.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by qwikstep View Post
    Hi Everyone (this is my 1st thread),

The PreWare patches are great and definitely improve the Touchpad. The one thing I don't understand is why hasn't HP implemented them in the WebOS code so that we no longer have to use the patches? It just seems logical to me - perhaps, there is no communication with the HP WebOS developers and the HomeBrew community so that they never even try these patches?
    what if you didnt want what the patches provided? youd then need a patch to disable stuff u didnt want, instead we patch in what we do want, IF u want it.

six and two threes, same thing different approach.
    I agree that customization should be left up to the individual using Homebrew but there are some patches, no just for the TouchPad but previous webOS devices, that makes more sense to include them than not.

For example, the lack of a time stamp in the messaging app is seriously ridiculous. There's a patch but a feature like that needs to be baked into the OS.
    I am, therefore I think