Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Hi,

So after dozens of attempts, I finally got my Blackberry to connect (pair) with the touchpad (dont know why it didnt work before) but now when i engage freetether, it still says no devices connected. How can I confirm that my touchpad is running off my blackberry for internet use?

Again sorry if this is a repost or posted in the wrong forum..

Any guidance, help, support is appreciated.

Ardy
    I would try to do some browsing. I found on my pre that it would sometimes take several attempts to actually connect
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    I would try to do some browsing. I found on my pre that it would sometimes take several attempts to actually connect
    Thanks for the reply...

How do you even go about connecting the phone via freetether... The touchpad and blackberry are connected via the bluetooth that comes with the respective devices, but via freetether, nothing.
    Are you trying to connect the phone to the TouchPad or have the TouchPad use your phone's internet connection?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    Are you trying to connect the phone to the TouchPad or have the TouchPad use your phone's internet connection?
    I connected the two to each other....believe it or not that took a while : /

But I am trying to do exactly that, have the touchpad use the phone's internet.
    Last edited by ArdyH; 10/23/2011 at 10:38 PM.
    you can't.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by junoty1 View Post
    you can't.
    That explains it then…. : /

I thought that was what tethering was. I use my phones internet (Tether) to run my Mac where I don't have wifi.
    Free Tether is an app for pre/pixi/pre2/veer/pre3 phones. It turns your phone into a wireless router which broadcasts SSID just like a home wifi router. You can connect pretty much any device that would normally connect to a wifi router and get internet through your mobile carrier.
    <thread moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I would assume you should be able to tether from a blackberry, i tether from an android phone using wireless tether it was available on the market. I would do a search tether blackberry on google, something like tetherberry
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gatewayad1 View Post
    I would assume you should be able to tether from a blackberry, i tether from an android phone using wireless tether it was available on the market. I would do a search tether blackberry on google, something like tetherberry
    I searched but no luck…

I tether my computer without any problems…

Hopefully someone will figure out an easy way to be able to use the phones internet on the touchpad.

Thank you for your help!!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Free Tether is an app for pre/pixi/pre2/veer/pre3 phones. It turns your phone into a wireless router which broadcasts SSID just like a home wifi router. You can connect pretty much any device that would normally connect to a wifi router and get internet through your mobile carrier.
    If my phone is able to connect to the touchpad successfully, would that not mean that it could tether also.

I went through the same thing with my computer and it works. I get internet where I have a signal on my phone.

Someone mentioned earlier that it is not possible to use the phone as a source of internet for the touchpad, but I am hearing mixed feedback..

Thank you in advance if you know what to do!!!
    I think something is being missed here.

What exactly are you trying to do again?

Your TP (assuming you have the wifi only version) cannot be the source of internet. It needs an external internet source like you home wifi (which you said you do not have) or a phone that tethers, meaning you get internet through your mobile phone carrier - Free Tether on Pre-series phones allows wifi tethering. An Android phones can also tether... Are we on the same page? Are you understanding what "tethering" means?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I think something is being missed here.

What exactly are you trying to do again?

Your TP (assuming you have the wifi only version) cannot be the source of internet. It needs an external internet source like you home wifi (which you said you do not have) or a phone that tethers, meaning you get internet through your mobile phone carrier - Free Tether on Pre-series phones allows wifi tethering. An Android phones can also tether... Are we on the same page? Are you understanding what "tethering" means?
    What tether means to me: To be able to use my phones internet capabilities and transfer that to my Touchpad.

Ie. I am in the middle of the desert. I get a cellphone signal but obviously no wifi. So i tether my phone to my computer (or touchpad in this case) and I can now have internet on that device.

My phone tethers with my computer wherever I don't have Wifi. So it is tether capable. Blackberry curve 8530 to be exact.

I apologize for the earlier confusion. THANK YOU SO MUCH for you help.
    does your phone support wifi? If yes, can you create a wifi hotspot using that? You should either have this capability built in or need an app like freetether for BB. Once you are able to do that, you shud be able to connect to that hotspot from ur touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdyH View Post
    What tether means to me: To be able to use my phones internet capabilities and transfer that to my Touchpad.

Ie. I am in the middle of the desert. I get a cellphone signal but obviously no wifi. So i tether my phone to my computer (or touchpad in this case) and I can now have internet on that device.

My phone tethers with my computer wherever I don't have Wifi. So it is tether capable. Blackberry curve 8530 to be exact.

I apologize for the earlier confusion. THANK YOU SO MUCH for you help.
    How are you connecting the BB to the computer, via a USB cable??. The BB has to be able to tether on the WiFi to have the TP connect to it. Well, maybe if you can do the powered USB setup for the TP, you might be able to connect via USB then, but that is just a guess.
    webOSroundup and Project Macaw contributor
    Remember, if I helped you, please click on the little or ♥ to the right
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
    does your phone support wifi? If yes, can you create a wifi hotspot using that? You should either have this capability built in or need an app like freetether for BB. Once you are able to do that, you shud be able to connect to that hotspot from ur touchpad.
    It does have wifi capabilities…

But I don't want to use the wifi on it, I want it to use the satellite as it would normally do if wifi is not available. (unless the wife is just necessary to create a hotspot)
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickc View Post
    How are you connecting the BB to the computer, via a USB cable??. The BB has to be able to tether on the WiFi to have the TP connect to it. Well, maybe if you can do the powered USB setup for the TP, you might be able to connect via USB then, but that is just a guess.
    I connect it either via bluetooth or via usb. Both options work.

I have not tried to USB the phone to the TP. I need a micro usb to micro usb for that.

My main goal is to connect via bluetooth and utilize the phones sprint internet plan.

The phone is paired to the TP right now ( I can dial and receive calls from the TP as if it were my phone). I just need to now use the internet off my phone...
    The touchpad currently doesn't have the bluetooth DUN profile, which means no tethering over bluetooth, and it's highly doubtful it has drivers for usb tethering to work either.
    Blackberries don't appear to have an app for wifi hotspot functionality, but you might want to doublecheck that at crackberry or someplace with more blackberry experts.
    just about any other current smartphone besides blackberry will support wifi tethering, so you might want to think about upgrading to a pre
    USRobotics Palm Pilot -> Palm 3e -> Treo 180 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    The touchpad currently doesn't have the bluetooth DUN profile, which means no tethering over bluetooth, and it's highly doubtful it has drivers for usb tethering to work either.
    Blackberries don't appear to have an app for wifi hotspot functionality, but you might want to doublecheck that at crackberry or someplace with more blackberry experts.
    just about any other current smartphone besides blackberry will support wifi tethering, so you might want to think about upgrading to a pre
    thank you errhead!! I guess its a lost cause for me at this point.

hopefully an expert will come along for this....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast