Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 99 of 99
Like Tree29Likes
  1. #81  
    You can reinstall Preware with no effect on anything else.

    I suspect you have an obsolete testing feed enabled. If so, swipe to delete it in the Manage Feeds screen.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can reinstall Preware with no effect on anything else.

    I suspect you have an obsolete testing feed enabled. If so, swipe to delete it in the Manage Feeds screen.

    -- Rod
    Thanks RW for your reply.
    Well, I have kernels-testing, testing-all, and testing-armv7.
    I remember adding testing feeds to enable overclocking, but I don't want to mess with them.
    Any idea which feed is obsolete?
    Thanks.
  3. #83  
    See testing.preware.org
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    See testing.preware.org
    Checked out that website. Not quite sure what I am looking at...Alpha?Beta? Big disclaimer about wiping out all your data if you use it. This is not for me. It could do more harm than good.
    Not to belabor the point, but why can't I just disable the (3)testing feeds in Manage Feeds one at a time and see which one is bad?
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by pod7381 View Post
    Checked out that website. Not quite sure what I am looking at...Alpha?Beta? Big disclaimer about wiping out all your data if you use it. This is not for me. It could do more harm than good.
    Not to belabor the point, but why can't I just disable the (3)testing feeds in Manage Feeds one at a time and see which one is bad?
    It is clear you do not intend to be an alpha or beta tester.

    You should remove all testing feeds and use the stable feeds. You should only use kernels from the stable feed if you are not prepared for your data to be wiped at any time without warning. Whoever told you about the testing feeds previously without giving those warnings has done you a grave disservice.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is clear you do not intend to be an alpha or beta tester.

    You should remove all testing feeds and use the stable feeds. You should only use kernels from the stable feed if you are not prepared for your data to be wiped at any time without warning. Whoever told you about the testing feeds previously without giving those warnings has done you a grave disservice.

    -- Rod
    Rod, is it that you don't support testing feeds as a general rule, or is it that you don't support testing feeds being used by people who are not fully aware of the risk involved?
    I'm trying to figure out if this practice is against your principles as a WebOS developer.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by pod7381 View Post
    Rod, is it that you don't support testing feeds as a general rule, or is it that you don't support testing feeds being used by people who are not fully aware of the risk involved?
    I'm trying to figure out if this practice is against your principles as a WebOS developer.
    Anyone who does not intend to fully comply with the rules listed on testing.preware.org should not be using the testing feeds.

    Anyone who does intend to fully comply with the rules listed on testing.preware.org are welcome and encouraged to use the testing feeds.

    Note that rule #7 ensures that everyone gets to read the rules and agree to them before using the testing feeds.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Anyone who does not intend to fully comply with the rules listed on testing.preware.org should not be using the testing feeds.

    Anyone who does intend to fully comply with the rules listed on testing.preware.org are welcome and encouraged to use the testing feeds.

    Note that rule #7 ensures that everyone gets to read the rules and agree to them before using the testing feeds.

    -- Rod
    OK, I see the light. I guess my Newbieness has reared it's ugly head.

    Using Testing feeds is fine as long as you agree to accept the risk/reward (play by the rules).

    Thanks for the heads up.
  9. #89  
    Much ado about nothing. Simply turning off the old testing-kernels feed solved my Preware loading error. Seems this feed is not compatible with WebOS update 3.0.4. For any other newbies having the same problem you won't get much specific help on this forum as some here are very hesitant to make things easy for you. You are expected to learn the ins and outs of testing feeds, acknowledge the risks of using them, and fix things yourself. Hope this helps some people with the Preware startup error.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by pod7381 View Post
    Much ado about nothing. Simply turning off the old testing-kernels feed solved my Preware loading error. Seems this feed is not compatible with WebOS update 3.0.4. For any other newbies having the same problem you won't get much specific help on this forum as they are very hesitant to make things easy for you. You are expected to learn the ins and outs of testing feeds, acknowledge the risks of using them, and fix things yourself. Hope this helps some people with the Preware startup error.
    Rod actually addressed this in post 81.

    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can reinstall Preware with no effect on anything else.

    I suspect you have an obsolete testing feed enabled. If so, swipe to delete it in the Manage Feeds screen.

    -- Rod
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Rod actually addressed this in post 81.
    I respectfully submit that for a newbie who knows nothing about Preware, feeds, and most importantly "testing" feeds, Rod's answer was a little too vague. I'm still climbing the learning curve and a little more specific help is always appreciated.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by pod7381 View Post
    I respectfully submit that for a newbie who knows nothing about Preware, feeds, and most importantly "testing" feeds, Rod's answer was a little too vague. I'm still climbing the learning curve and a little more specific help is always appreciated.
    Well if you added the testing feed hopefully you did a little reading before doing so, at the very least it would be expected that you know you *added a feed* and Rod gave instructions for removal of said feed.

    This is why Rod also posted the quote below. There are many folks around here that spend a lot of time assisting with trouble shoot and tech support for free outside of their real life paying jobs.

    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Anyone who does not intend to fully comply with the rules listed on testing.preware.org should not be using the testing feeds.

    Anyone who does intend to fully comply with the rules listed on testing.preware.org are welcome and encouraged to use the testing feeds.

    Note that rule #7 ensures that everyone gets to read the rules and agree to them before using the testing feeds.

    -- Rod
    I am not posting this to put you down, or start an argument. This is not solely directed at you, or because of your post. These are some basic expectations when you go outside of the public releases of homebrew.

    For those that have been around a while, we have lost or nearly lost some homebrew folks because of people not following these guidelines then bombarding the dev with questions and complaints of things that are covered under these basic expectations.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Well if you added the testing feed hopefully you did a little reading before doing so. This is why Rod also posted the quote below. There are many folks around here that spend a lot of time assisting with trouble shoot and tech support for free outside of their real life paying jobs.
    Honestly, I just followed directions I found online to overclock my newly acquired Touchpad.
    I am sure many new Touchpad owners did the same thing. Since this procedure had been done many times, I felt that it was safe to try without due diligence.

    I truly appreciate all the hard work that the folks at Precentral do for free and on their own time. I would never make light of that. I guess my main point is that with the Fire Sale on Touchpads recently, a lot of newbies like me are hitting the forums with questions and looking for help. These people lack knowledge and need a little more patience from the experts at PreCentral.
    That being said, let's move on, as I am sure this discussion has become boring to most people by now.
    Thanks for your understanding and for all your good work.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by pod7381 View Post
    Honestly, I just followed directions I found online to overclock my newly acquired Touchpad.
    I am sure many new Touchpad owners did the same thing. Since this procedure had been done many times, I felt that it was safe to try without due diligence.
    Indeed, it is not you who is at fault, but those who republished the testing feed instructions without the accompanying warnings and rules. You should go back to them and tell them how they caused you grief by doing so.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  15. decalex's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    Thanks for the info, updating my saved package list, then running the EPR , and after the reboot reinstalling the saved patches was painless, and easy. You guys rock, don't let the negative Nancy's get to you
    +1 regarding muffle system logging patch. Followed instructions and whole process took under 5 mins. Appreciate what u do, Rod

    . . NS4G . . CM7 . .
    Last edited by decalex; 10/28/2011 at 12:55 AM.
    Riona likes this.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    Appreciate what u do, Rob.
    Yeah, that Rob guy does some good work ...

    -- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/28/2011 at 01:10 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. decalex's Avatar
    Posts
    238 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    #97  
    Ahh. Edited.
    Was being serious tho..
  18. #98  
    I would just like to add a note of appreciation to RoD and all the developers here that have helped improve WebOS. I had the muffle system logging issue myself and while I'm not exactly a newbie when it comes to WebOS (Palm Pre Plus owner since last year), I'm still learning the quirks of my Touchpad. I did the OTA update and then went into Preware checking for updates last week - I ran into the muffle problem and luckily I knew to come here and look for a solution to the issue before doing something NUTS like running the Doctor on it (again).
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    its not that bad and I don't see why everyone is complaining. Learn to use the tools you have before you.. Update your saved package list in preware. Then run the epr, after its finished and your touchpad restarts open up preware and reinstall everything from your saved package list in ONE press.

    Honestly there isn't a lot of patches out for the TouchPad anyways. So if the method mentioned above doesn't work, installing the ones you need/want should only take a couple minutes at most.
    If you are a noob like me "Saved Package List" is located in Preware when you swipe down to look at the Preferences, Update Feeds, Manage Feeds, etc. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to find this until after I ran Emergency Patch Recovery (ERP) which is located under Available Packages -> Linux Applications -> Utilities. I was however smart enough to copy down my list of patches to install manually so alls well that ends well.

    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can reinstall Preware with no effect on anything else.

    I suspect you have an obsolete testing feed enabled. If so, swipe to delete it in the Manage Feeds screen.

    -- Rod
    I had the same problem and had no idea about testing feeds, just followed some instructions that someone posted like a Lemming. Just turned it off and now preware works fine.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions