Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nunjabusiness View Post
    Well, that seems like an unnecessary pain in the ***. Isn't there some way to manually remove ONE patch and re-install it?
    its not that bad and I don't see why everyone is complaining. Learn to use the tools you have before you.. Update your saved package list in preware. Then run the epr, after its finished and your touchpad restarts open up preware and reinstall everything from your saved package list in ONE press.

Honestly there isn't a lot of patches out for the TouchPad anyways. So if the method mentioned above doesn't work, installing the ones you need/want should only take a couple minutes at most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    its not that bad and I don't see why everyone is complaining. Learn to use the tools you have before you.. Update your saved package list in preware. Then run the epr, after its finished and your touchpad restarts open up preware and reinstall everything from your saved package list in ONE press.

Honestly there isn't a lot of patches out for the TouchPad anyways. So if the method mentioned above doesn't work, installing the ones you need/want should only take a couple minutes at most.
    Great help, it was all very simple.

Everyday I learn a little more.

:-)
    Folks the idea is "work smarter, not harder."

I just used QuickInstall and it worked fine.
    No need to repave a bad road to drive to the store, just go around the corner and up the next street!
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    ugh, so we have to uninstall/install all our patches to fix just one?

i'm done installing any patches.. reformatted my device and screw the patches.. if developers want to make patches and stuff they should fix them or don't bother releasing them at all.

Why should we have to install some "doctor" app to simply REMOVE one crappy made patch? sounds more like crappy coding/programming if you ask me.

/rant.
    Last edited by rs4ftw; 10/25/2011 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs4ftw View Post
    ugh, so we have to uninstall/install all our patches to fix just one?

i'm done installing any patches.. reformatted my device and screw the patches.. if developers want to make patches and stuff they should fix them or don't bother releasing them.

if this is something to look forward to every time webOS gets an update...
    Feel free to discontinue your use of items that are provided to you at no cost.

These issues affect a small number of patches, and there is no easy fix. That's why the Preware Saved Packages List and the Emergency Patch Removal (EPR) tool exist (and make removing and reinstalling patches a three click affair independent of the number of patches).

But in general, with your attitude, you should discontinue use of all homebrew and only use official HP supported tools and applications.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

These issues affect a small number of patches, and there is no easy fix. That's why the Preware Saved Packages List and the Emergency Patch Removal (EPR) tool exist (and make removing and reinstalling patches a three click affair independent of the number of patches).

But in general, with your attitude, you should discontinue use of all homebrew and only use official HP supported tools and applications.

-- Rod
    yeah you ungrateful pos
    Thanks for the info, updating my saved package list, then running the EPR , and after the reboot reinstalling the saved patches was painless, and easy. You guys rock, don't let the negative Nancy's get to you
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post

Wow - like the other guy says - glad u sharp cats are out there to save us 2nd and 3rd wavers lots of headaches. Haha only issue I had here is my reboot took me into Touchdroid because I forgot to click and change to boot to WebOS :-) Other than that this was a 2-3 minute EZ process.

Neil
    Guys, please do not take this the wrong way. I for one really appreciate this community. In many ways this is a key differentiator that makes the Touchpad the superior choice when choosing tablets. But for countless end-users who may not be super tech-savvy, its already an achievement to even be leveraging anything Homebrew. To pull out an answer like "epr" and to even expect the majority to even understand (much less properly use) what to do is out of line. The patch clearly points to options to Update or Remove. This was done with intuitiveness in mind. IMHO, this is a detail that matters if you want people to appreciate WebOS. It should just work and honestly it was HP's lack of attention to detail that really put this wonderful product in the mess it is. This community should try its best to stand for excellence. With a strictly volunteer force of developers that is a challenge, but no need to broadcast to new TP owners that we don't care about the details and point them to hacks and workarounds as the final answer. At the same time as posters indicated earlier in this thread, we must be patient cuz people are doing all of this on their own free time (which is immensely appreciated). Afterall, we are our own evangelists (for now).... We should make others envy WebOS because of what we do and HOW we do it. Just my $.02.
    rangerf6 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris_silvertree View Post
    Guys, please do not take this the wrong way. I for one really appreciate this community. In many ways this is a key differentiator that makes the Touchpad the superior choice when choosing tablets. But for countless end-users who may not be super tech-savvy, its already an achievement to even be leveraging anything Homebrew. To pull out an answer like "epr" and to even expect the majority to even understand (much less properly use) what to do is out of line. The patch clearly points to options to Update or Remove. This was done with intuitiveness in mind. IMHO, this is a detail that matters if you want people to appreciate WebOS. It should just work and honestly it was HP's lack of attention to detail that really put this wonderful product in the mess it is. This community should try its best to stand for excellence. With a strictly volunteer force of developers that is a challenge, but no need to broadcast to new TP owners that we don't care about the details and point them to hacks and workarounds as the final answer. At the same time as posters indicated earlier in this thread, we must be patient cuz people are doing all of this on their own free time (which is immensely appreciated). Afterall, we are our own evangelists (for now).... We should make others envy WebOS because of what we do and HOW we do it. Just my $.02.
    The Saved Packages List, Emergency Patch Removal, Reinstall All Packages solution has been around for over a year, and is well-known in the webOS community. There have been a number of front-page articles on PreCentral detailing it, and many threads on the subject.

When new folks come in, don't do any research, and slag off at the developers, it is not appreciated.

The fact is that patching is not 100% reliable, and there are corner cases that will fail on OTA. That's why EPR exists. It's not a hack, it's a necessary part of the process for those corner cases.

There is even a specific note in the Preware Homebrew Documentation app (which new users should read before using homebrew) which points to a PreCentral thread which tells you what to do when a patch does not update properly. The first post in that thread clearly states that the Muffle System Logging patch must be removed prior to OTA to be free of issues, and clearly outlines the EPR process to remove and reinstall all patches with a couple of clicks.

Folks have been trained to expect to be able to use things without reading the documentation. That's a false expectation, and should not be encouraged. There are cases where the intuitive expectation simply cannot be met, and the documentation covers those cases. The only other option would be to stop supporting patching altogether just because a few fail due to these corner cases.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/25/2011 at 08:42 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    rangerf6 and shanpalm61 like this.
    Rod's right in pretty much everything he said in that we have all (most of us) become lazy and expectant of a "quick fix" in almost anything. People in general have lost the ability to graciously appreciate others' hard and selfless work and tend to become demanding ... even as it relates to free products and services! We have also all but forgotten what RTFM means.

The anonymous nature of internet postings makes it even easier to be a jerk for no real reason (and I am guilty of it occasionally myself) with the end result being friction in a normally mild-mannered forum. The truth is, MOST of this stuff IS essentially a hack and you should be incredibly thankful that it exists at all so you are not stuck with a promising, yet lackluster OS.

However, as I said earlier, you may NOT have to do the EPR dance at all. I had the exact same situation and was able to "re-muffle" my system WITHOUT resorting to it at all. I tried literally a dozen times removing and updating and installing etc., before reading the post from Stevesrjr86. He mentioned the saved packages list and the ability to reinstall it all with a couple of taps. I had never even given more than cursory attention to the PreWare menu before, and was prepared to go ahead and remove my theme, do the EPR process and reinstall all the stuff.

But I had a flash of intuition and decided to try one more thing. The webOS Quickinstall turned out to be the answer for me, upgrading the patch right over the top of the "bad" one. The list of patches in it was fully updated and made short work of the ones I had not updated yet.

BTW, calling someone an "ungrateful POS" is rude, uncalled for and more than a little puerile (look it up.) Thought most of us were above that.
    rangerf6 likes this.

-- Rod
    Way to go, right on target, always a few bad apples in every bunch. I guess that because all the work developers do is free (except for some donations) some people expect to be catered to. I am not a programer, but enjoy reading and poking around in my TP, I really enjoyed the patches and always look forward to new and improved. I have been around computers for over 20 years (I retired form the networking installation and training of specific use computers. Computers and other devices only as good as the programs written for them. Programs are not perfect and bug free, not even Apple or Microsoft. Any one that thinks so need to get a life.

Well let me get off the soapbox before I go over board. Come on people this is a community, do the right thing don't complain about stuff you aren't paying for, thank the developers for their work. Remember most of them have jobs, family, school and helping us out and making WebOS better is really nice of them. So kool your jets if you don't want to use the patches don't, if you do use and not perfect be kool and sit back and wait it will be fixed.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    is even a specific note in the Preware Homebrew Documentation app (which new users should read before using homebrew) which points to a PreCentral thread which tells you what to do when a patch does not update properly. The first post in that thread clearly states that the Muffle System Logging patch must be removed prior to OTA to be free of issues, and clearly outlines the EPR process to remove and reinstall all patches with a couple of clicks.

-- Rod
    I could get lit up for this as I freely admit I'm new to webOS and preware and did not yet read the homebrew documentation. Is/are the issue(s) with running an OTA with muffle system logging obvious? My update auto-ran before I had time to remove patches and muffle system logging was one of them. Aside from from noticing my right speaker is dead (pretty sure it's just a coincidence) my touchpad seems to be running fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip34 View Post
    HEY guys i just got my touchpad and i looked over the threads on how to install preware, does anybody has the link or where can i find the instructions steps on how to install preware and also im updatind to 3.0.4 can i still install preware with 3.0.4
    Look up: New TouchPad? Here's your "Get Started" guide in TouchPad forum. Once you find and open you will find easy to follow instructions.
    Open WebOS QuickInstall on the pc.
    Click on the "globe" under the "-" sign.
    Select Patches.
    At the bottom, on the left side, click on Updates.
    Then click on Update All.
    Rod's right in pretty much everything he said in that we have all (most of us) become lazy and expectant of a "quick fix" in almost anything. People in general have lost the ability to graciously appreciate others' hard and selfless work and tend to become demanding ... even as it relates to free products and services! We have also all but forgotten what RTFM means.

The anonymous nature of internet postings makes it even easier to be a jerk for no real reason (and I am guilty of it occasionally myself) with the end result being friction in a normally mild-mannered forum. The truth is, MOST of this stuff IS essentially a hack and you should be incredibly thankful that it exists at all so you are not stuck with a promising, yet lackluster OS.

However, as I said earlier, you may NOT have to do the EPR dance at all. I had the exact same situation and was able to "re-muffle" my system WITHOUT resorting to it at all. I tried literally a dozen times removing and updating and installing etc., before reading the post from Stevesrjr86. He mentioned the saved packages list and the ability to reinstall it all with a couple of taps. I had never even given more than cursory attention to the PreWare menu before, and was prepared to go ahead and remove my theme, do the EPR process and reinstall all the stuff.

But I had a flash of intuition and decided to try one more thing. The webOS Quickinstall turned out to be the answer for me, upgrading the patch right over the top of the "bad" one. The list of patches in it was fully updated and made short work of the ones I had not updated yet.

BTW, calling someone an "ungrateful POS" is rude, uncalled for and more than a little puerile (look it up.) Thought most of us were above that.
    I apologize if my rudeness offended you. I thought the poster was rude and annoying. I'm not above childishness not all of us have your emotional maturity apparently. Nevertheless, I am grateful to Rod and all the homebrewers and agree that it is not useful to add to to the general inanity that can be experienced on these forums at times. Thank you for assuming I would need to look up puerile, I found that kind of condescending, I'm sure it wasn't meant that way as you would be above that.
    nunjabusiness likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    I apologize if my rudeness offended you. I thought the poster was rude and annoying. I'm not above childishness not all of us have your emotional maturity apparently. Nevertheless, I am grateful to Rod and all the homebrewers and agree that it is not useful to add to to the general inanity that can be experienced on these forums at times. Thank you for assuming I would need to look up puerile, I found that kind of condescending, I'm sure it wasn't meant that way as you would be above that.
    You forgot the ... as did I. I very often resort to patronizing and condescension but usually my tongue is planted firmly in cheek. I just forgot the emoticon. For the record, the only thing that truly offends me is ignorance and apathy.

Thank you for a cohesive and well-written response though. My tone was uncalled for as well.
    We do not need this turning into another xda. Mea culpa.
    You forgot the ... as did I. I very often resort to patronizing and condescension but usually my tongue is planted firmly in cheek. I just forgot the emoticon. For the record, the only thing that truly offends me is ignorance and apathy.

Thank you for a cohesive and well-written response though. My tone was uncalled for as well.
    We do not need this turning into another xda. Mea culpa.
    All good. My original post was uncalled for, I just reacted in anger. Lets talk about more important things. I've been on these forums a couple years and never needed to resort to namecalling before... So whatever, Rod told the guy off adequately without my outburst. Back on topic folks, nothing to see here.
    Group Hug.

-- Rod
    Hello All,
    Just wondering if anyone has come up with a fix for the Preware loading error created by the WebOs update.

Error message:
    Unable to run command:/usr/bin/ipkg-o/media/cryptofs/appsupdate2>&1. etc,etc.

Hitting OK resumes the launch, but it's a PITA if you know what I mean.
    I am leary of uninstalling and reinstalling Preware because I do not know what effect that would have on my installed patches (I'm a WebOs newbie).

So any working solutions yet?
    Thanks.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast