Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By noseph
  1.    #1  
    Dear HP webOS Touchpad users, devs and community,

I am determined to rename and add launcher tabs to my HP 16g Touchpad. I have googled, read and researched and followed all the instruction that I can to try and do so. I would like to also let it be known I am NOT computer savvy in any way, shape or form. In fact I am very illiterate when it comes to any form of installing, scripting, coding, building and any other term that may be used when referring to the manipulation of an electronic device's registry, root directory, software or untility. I know NOTHING.
    I will try and be as thorough as possible when describing what I have done inorder to accomplish this task.
    I would also like it to be known I am only interested in adding my own launcher tabs (as I am aware there is a preware app available that allows for 2 more premade tabs)

What I have:

1.) HP Touchpad 16g w/ webOS v3.0.2
    2.) Gateway all-in-one touchscreen PC dual core pentium 3.2 ghz 300g RAM 500g hd windows 7 64bit.
    3.) USB connector for HP Touchpad.
    4.) Sylish copper leather/suede case for my TouchPad :-)

What I have installed (on PC):

1.) java
    2.) virtualbox
    3.) palm sdk
    4.) novaterm

What I have completed (on Tablet)

1.) Turned on Developer Mode (via device info, custom application, code ##3386633#)
    2.) Connected USB from PC to Tablet
    3.) open and connect to novaterm (resembles cmd, "root@XXXXXXXXXXHPTouchPad: /#" appears in window upon connecting [X = my TP name, not sure if I should share it?)
    4.) typed "/var/luna/preferences/launcher3/" in window.

This is what happens:

"/bin/sh: /var/luna/preferences/launcher3/: Permission denied"

This is what I PLANNED on doing:

WebOS3.0 Launcher Tweaks - WebOS Internals

I planned on typing in the location (/var/luna/preferences/launcher3/) in the root access window and navigating my self to the files that allow me to change and add what is necesarry to accomplish my task.

Ok. All this being said, PLEASE PLEASE remember I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what I am doing. Please do not judge or be harsh with your comments if I am using the wrong terminology or am doing this completely wrong, and am moving no where near the direction I am suppose to be going. I am doing my best and like I said am VERY determined to add these launcher tabs. ANY information on whether I am doing this correctly or ANY help in telling me how to do so in lamens terms and instructions would be MUCH appreciated! I will be more than willing to share any more information on what I have done, have or am aware of, please feel free to simply ask! Thank you so much for your attention.

Dedicated HP TouchPad user

-Andre
    Read the `Getting Started` guide in the HP TouchPad forum on this site. It explains how to install Webos_Quick_Install after which you can install Preware which will then allow you to install Internalz, among a lot of other useful stuff, and this will allow you to find the relevent files to edit as per the article that you refer to in your post.
  3.    #3  
    Will do! Thanks for the help sir!
    And then maybe 'Add Launcher Tabs' as a Linux App 'patch' from Preware is where you want to go..

6.    #6  
    I DID IT! My TP Launcher Tabs now read (in this order):
    "Downloads, Games, Media, Lifestyle, Utilities, Settings"
    Once getting Internalz Pro and following the instructions found here:
    I had it finished in roughly 2 hours. The instructions all made sense once I had gotten Internalz Pro and could view all the files - I navigated my way through fairly easy. The tough part was just making sure I didn't make any mistakes - had to check my work over and over. Alot of c/ping. I would definately like to thank PreCentral.net for providing me with oodles of info posted by everyone, and all the devs of these cool apps and software that allows people (even people like me who have never done a lick of this sort of thing) to accomplish things like this to improve our Touchpad experience! P.S. I am the opposite of an expert (and personally wouldnt take advice from myself) but if any newbies out there would like to accomplish adding their own custom tabs to their launcher and they don't understand the hotshots lingo or instructions (which can be intimidating to some of us of lesser intilegenzse) feel free to ask me and I'd be happy to walk you through the process I did to accomplish this!

Thanks once again for the awesome information found on this website!

-Andre
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warform View Post
    I DID IT! My TP Launcher Tabs now read (in this order):
    "Downloads, Games, Media, Lifestyle, Utilities, Settings"
    Once getting Internalz Pro and following the instructions found here:
    I had it finished in roughly 2 hours. The instructions all made sense once I had gotten Internalz Pro and could view all the files - I navigated my way through fairly easy. The tough part was just making sure I didn't make any mistakes - had to check my work over and over. Alot of c/ping. I would definately like to thank PreCentral.net for providing me with oodles of info posted by everyone, and all the devs of these cool apps and software that allows people (even people like me who have never done a lick of this sort of thing) to accomplish things like this to improve our Touchpad experience! P.S. I am the opposite of an expert (and personally wouldnt take advice from myself) but if any newbies out there would like to accomplish adding their own custom tabs to their launcher and they don't understand the hotshots lingo or instructions (which can be intimidating to some of us of lesser intilegenzse) feel free to ask me and I'd be happy to walk you through the process I did to accomplish this!

Thanks once again for the awesome information found on this website!

-Andre
    Do not forget that the final step, for any project that uses webOS Internals and/or the Homebrew community, should be to DONATE to all the entities involved.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Warform likes this.