Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1294617

works great for me. To get the image you can use a VMware image and just change the extension from .vmdk to .img
    Last edited by junoty1; 10/11/2011 at 12:45 PM.
    T4H_KiserSose likes this.
    bad link
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    Page not found
  4.    #5  
    yup, that's the link I was referring to. Its odd... The llink I posted works when I click it.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Too bad there's no virtual keyboard.
    Will it be added?

-- Envoyé depuis mon HP TouchPad avec Communities
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".
    Voltaire, french writer and Philosopher, 1694-1778

French translator of UberCalendar, sconix's advanced patches, Twithibition, AuctionMate, Communities, Headlines 2, OrganizeMe!, Homebrew Google Maps, and many other webOS apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratus View Post
    Too bad there's no virtual keyboard.
    Will it be added?

-- Envoyé depuis mon HP TouchPad avec Communities
    really? I compiled just really as a proof of concept, would people really use it?

I think the unusable mouse (which I might fix, dunno) would make it basically useless at this point.

There are virtual keyboards for win98 out there, so you could install it in qemu on your PC, then copy the hdd image to the tp and use it.
    T4H_KiserSose likes this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    why in the world would anyone want to even consider the possibility of using that rancid turd aka windows me
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    really? I compiled just really as a proof of concept, would people really use it?

I think the unusable mouse (which I might fix, dunno) would make it basically useless at this point.

There are virtual keyboards for win98 out there, so you could install it in qemu on your PC, then copy the hdd image to the tp and use it.
    Hey! I'd love to use it! I've got a windows program that there is no alternative for in Ubuntu. I was able to set everything up using VirtualBox and then copy the hdd.img to the TP. The Mouse is pretty frustrating though and having the Windows VKB installed doesn't really work w/o a better mouse. If you aren't going to fix the mouse could you maybe drop a few hints on how to recompile it to fix the issue? Or maybe there's just a better mouse driver???

It's so close! Please don't give up now!!

EDIT: I tried editing the qemu.sh to include "-usb -usbdevice tablet" which prompted install of the usb driver but no change in the pointer issues. BTW, I"m using Win 95 not 98.
    Last edited by kayphoonstar; 11/11/2011 at 06:53 PM.
  9.    #10  
    maybe we can get the mouse working via the way it is in the mac emulator?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ming-soon.html
    Yeah Ive tried the -usb thingy, I think it sets a 'absolute' flag (which Ive also tried setting manually), and it doesnt seem to help.

If youre looking at the code, its obviously SDL_MOUSEMOTION and the UP and DOWN button events you want to look at. And if anything, the dosbox source would probably be a 'better' one to look at (honestly I havent looked at qemu for a long time)

What should be done is to add gesture events, like a two finger swipe up for ALT-F4 and two finger swipe down for Enter (something like that), so youre never left with unable to shutdown (something I should have done at the beginning, but I was just starting to fool around with the webos sdk).

Im not even sure if its compeltely worthwhile? I am not even sure networking would work? Does webos support the tun0/br0 (whatever qemu uses) device? Maybe the custom kernels would? And would setting up tun0 screw up other things?

I just thought of it as load it once to show people a 'cool' feature, then never use it again.

and btw, both my win9x images now have unrecoverable registry errors from all the improper shutdowns.
    Just install Kaspersky iNet Security & you would have access to a virtual KB w/ no effort. Running that OS I'd be afraid to not have a scanner/firewall as well so two birds
    Yeah Ive tried the -usb thingy, I think it sets a 'absolute' flag (which Ive also tried setting manually), and it doesnt seem to help.

If youre looking at the code, its obviously SDL_MOUSEMOTION and the UP and DOWN button events you want to look at. And if anything, the dosbox source would probably be a 'better' one to look at (honestly I havent looked at qemu for a long time)

What should be done is to add gesture events, like a two finger swipe up for ALT-F4 and two finger swipe down for Enter (something like that), so youre never left with unable to shutdown (something I should have done at the beginning, but I was just starting to fool around with the webos sdk).

Im not even sure if its compeltely worthwhile? I am not even sure networking would work? Does webos support the tun0/br0 (whatever qemu uses) device? Maybe the custom kernels would? And would setting up tun0 screw up other things?

I just thought of it as load it once to show people a 'cool' feature, then never use it again.

and btw, both my win9x images now have unrecoverable registry errors from all the improper shutdowns.
    Thanks for answering. I'll mess around in the code a bit (not that I really know what I'm doing but I might get lucky, who knows?) I kept a VirtualBox Win95 build that I have used to replace several times already, like when it got stuck on scandisk - asking me some stupid question that I didn't have a mouse or KB or answer. . .

Honestly, though, it does seem pretty cool to have it work even this well - not that the OS is so exciting, just that, once it's running, w95 seems to run pretty smooth and, with a functioning Mouse, I'd be able to use it regularly for just one program.

I probably wouldn't be so interested if it wasn't for that one program. I've started playing around with qemu under Ubuntu Chroot/Wine but I'm stuck on: "Download the binary x86 Wine install (qemu-XXX-i386-wine.tar.gz on the QEMU web page)" that I've read about all over the place. The file doesn't seem to exist on qemu.org or anywhere anymore - have any leads on this? Anybody?

Maybe contact the people that made that?

or

its even on a touchpad!

or read http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43480&page=13 that entire thread.

And if you google, you can make windows 95 auto scan/repair on bootup so you dont need a keyboard (needs editing io.sys/msdos.sys i think? or something)
    Last edited by grazzt; 11/12/2011 at 01:18 PM.
    I tried qemu for TP with both win98se and win 3.1

So far, I didn't manage to go to the desktop on both images.

Win98 says it needs the CD to install new found devices, and I was unable to click the ok button since nor mouse or keyboard works.

On win 3.1, I'm stuck under DOS and even my wireless webos keyboard doesn't allow me to type "win".

Too bad. I'm really curious how OP could have qemu up and working at this stage ? Please, tell us more

Also I'm very excited about this project (as far as it could be a project). I hope some people will work on this and give us a good qemu app for TP so that we can launch several OSes. This would make the TP so versatile!!

I'll continue to digg by myself and eventually post here.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner

Maybe contact the people that made that?

or

its even on a touchpad!

or read Running native i386 linux binaries - Page 13 - maemo.org - Talk that entire thread.

And if you google, you can make windows 95 auto scan/repair on bootup so you dont need a keyboard (needs editing io.sys/msdos.sys i think? or something)
    Thanks! Looks pretty interesting. I'll try some things out and report back. It would still be nice to get a better handle on the mouse thingy.

Grasshoper:
    In my experience, using the mouse requires a great deal of patience but it can be done assumimg you have your install directory on the image file. As far as Win 3.1, you'd need to edit the autoexec.bat file to include 'win' on the last line (before you drop in the image file onto the TP.
    Quick update:

So using that thread, I was able to get Wine running under qemu-i386 and can get as far as running notepad or solitare (not really a big whoop, but hey. . .) under Debian or Ubuntu Chroot. Trying to run more complex programs seems to max out the cpu and not actually open anything. But this is actually running an older version of Wine so there may be some possibility as things progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Quick update:

So using that thread, I was able to get Wine running under qemu-i386 and can get as far as running notepad or solitare (not really a big whoop, but hey. . .) under Debian or Ubuntu Chroot. Trying to run more complex programs seems to max out the cpu and not actually open anything. But this is actually running an older version of Wine so there may be some possibility as things progress.

maybe you can write your own little howto on how to get things going? Ive read the thread, and its pretty much confusing on what works and what doesnt.

not sure what speed we should expect either, maybe a low endish pentium 3 speed, or pentium 2 speed?
    Why do we need qemu under linux chroot instead of qemu directly on touchpad ? I assume it would work better in that condition ?

Is it impossible to have wine with TP's qemu ?
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    just for the helluva it, i tried qemu 1.0-rc1 on the touchpad, and it just cores, doesnt even give the bios bootup screen or anything. :-/

whoops, looks like some context stuff was added that is not supported on arm hosts.
    Last edited by grazzt; 11/14/2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Lukeda likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast