Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Available at Mame4all for Touchpad

    Instructions, source code and ipk are on the page.

    I would appreciate all comments and suggestions.. especially about input as I have no bluetooth keyboard. I hope it works, hard to test. :-)
    mrbears, numanair and Rnp like this.
  2. mrbears's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    Available at Mame4all for Touchpad

    Instructions, source code and ipk are on the page.

    I would appreciate all comments and suggestions.. especially about input as I have no bluetooth keyboard. I hope it works, hard to test. :-)
    grazzt,

    Wow! OMG! It works!
    It worked great with the HP Keyboard. Like you mentioned in your instruction, some games, like galaga, gets cliped because the resolution is forced to resolution you have mentioned. But the keys does work and response is great.

    This is truly amazing feat for TouchPad. Now that we got this to work, the possibility of using iCade and its bluetooth joystick with Touchpad to realize the true arcade box is so much closer than before. :-)

    Cheers! And thank you so much for this, grazzt. You are the man! I will try to give you more feedback later.
  3. Cha
    Cha is offline
    Cha's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    #3  
    Waiting for onscreen or ps3 controls, but I'm very excited. Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cha View Post
    Waiting for onscreen or ps3 controls, but I'm very excited. Thanks.
    onscreen is about 40-50% done. Its just that alpha blending isnt working. Dont know if I will be able to fix that.

    ps3 control... well, blame webos, you cant sync bt controllers.

    You can change the video options so it rescales games that are 'clipped', but it kind of makes it look worse.
  5. #5  
    I've lurked on here since I got my TP during the firesale and signed up to give you some feedback. For a 1st release, this is really nice work. I have to TP paired with an Apple bluetooth keyboard right now and the response time is instantaneous.

    Sound needs work from what (especially for Neo-Geo games) I've heard but is passable even it its current state. On default frame skip street fighter 2 is near full speed with distorted audio. My TP is overclocked at 1.7ghz. Some games experience slight clipping but nothing that I've tried has been so off as to make it unplayable.

    I hope you consider adding icade support (or configurable controls) eventually since it does work with the TP.

    iCADE Arcade Cabinet for iPad Works for HP TouchPad! [Fun Stuff] | Fun Stuff, News |webOSroundup

    Roms tested are in the Mame .37 set. Games tried: KOF 95, Street Fighter 2, TMNT, Bad Dudes.

    Thank you for all your hard work.
  6.    #6  
    Not entirely sure if sound is something that can be 'fixed'. Its usually a function of the mame driver being old (which honestly would take too much time to fix), or the cpu being overloaded.

    The games I tried all sounded 'right' for the version of mame. (sf2 announcer sounds deeper for example)

    I have other things going, so this project has taken a back seat at the moment.
  7. mrbears's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    onscreen is about 40-50% done. Its just that alpha blending isnt working. Dont know if I will be able to fix that.

    ps3 control... well, blame webos, you cant sync bt controllers.

    You can change the video options so it rescales games that are 'clipped', but it kind of makes it look worse.
    Hi, grazzt!

    I have further tested the mame and it is awesome. I have tried to change the video option for clipped games and it seems to improve. I realize that you have forced resolution to 320X240, but is there anyway to change that to 240X320? (Is there an option in the menu that I am overlooking?) Essentially I am asking about the option to flip between Landscape and Portrait mode. I have even tried this on my Pre and it seems to run well. Back in Treo days, I used to play MAME on my WiiMote, which was quite fun, but now the gigantic screen of touchpad is putting Treo to shame.

    I just wanted to congratulate you again on getting this to work! I know from the other thread that you had difficulty getting MAME to execute every time with TouchPad, but that problem seems to be gone as I haven't had trouble not loading up yet. This is awesome! :-)
  8.    #8  
    As I understand SDL on webos, it always puts you into landscape mode, and if you want to use portrait mode, you have to do the rotation yourself. (If Im wrong, please let me know?)

    So this means changing it to opengl (hah, aint happening)
    Or write in current code to rotate the graphics 90 degrees. I have a feeling if this was implement, it would be slow as rocks. :-/

    So. I can add it to the list of possible improvements, but to be honest, wouldnt be something I would be interested in.

    Source code is there though, so maybe someone else will try it.

    Sorry.

    Still way confused on why newer version of mames do weird things. It runs fine, or cores, or does nothing, lol. So were stuck with mame4all for now, its 'good', but still, wouldnt mind trying Killer Instinct 2 on the tp. lol
  9. mrbears's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    As I understand SDL on webos, it always puts you into landscape mode, and if you want to use portrait mode, you have to do the rotation yourself. (If Im wrong, please let me know?)

    So this means changing it to opengl (hah, aint happening)
    Or write in current code to rotate the graphics 90 degrees. I have a feeling if this was implement, it would be slow as rocks. :-/

    So. I can add it to the list of possible improvements, but to be honest, wouldnt be something I would be interested in.

    Source code is there though, so maybe someone else will try it.

    Sorry.

    Still way confused on why newer version of mames do weird things. It runs fine, or cores, or does nothing, lol. So were stuck with mame4all for now, its 'good', but still, wouldnt mind trying Killer Instinct 2 on the tp. lol
    grazzt,

    Funny thing is that even if I physically put touchpad on the portrait orientation, it stays on Landscape. But if I minimize to a card, it magically puts MAME on Portrait. If I have the app fully open, it is not possible to flip to Portrait as it is now. I hope I am making some sense here...
  10.    #10  
    Card mode might rotate it, but that doesnt mean anything, sdl apps are forced into landscape mode.

    Load up Angry Birds HD and minimize it to a card, then rotate your tp, I bet it does the same as mame? Then load it back up, and its landscape again.

    At least thats how I understand it, I could be wrong.
  11. mrbears's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    Card mode might rotate it, but that doesnt mean anything, sdl apps are forced into landscape mode.

    Load up Angry Birds HD and minimize it to a card, then rotate your tp, I bet it does the same as mame? Then load it back up, and its landscape again.

    At least thats how I understand it, I could be wrong.
    Yep, you are right. :-)

    One reason I asked about implementing 90 degree rotation is for devices with built in keyboard. (Pre, Veer, Pre 2&3)

    Since keyboard is stuck on these devices, you have to control the device with your head tilted 90 degrees. :-p

    Another reason was the dimension of many arcade games were made for Portrait dimension, so it would be more natural that way, but I understand implementation may be slow down the process and difficult.

    Anyway, mame4all seems to run really well on my Pre Plus, I just have to tilt my head 90 degrees in order to get controls right, but there is no problem with HP Bluetooth keyboard with TouchPad. May be I can just use HP Keyboard with Pre Plus, but I guess it looks kind of silly playing it on tiny Pre screen with big keyboard. :-(
  12.    #12  
    looks like sdl_gfx has a rotozoom function which might do everything for me, so I might take a look at it in the near future.

    And Yoga is good for you.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  13. mrbears's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    looks like sdl_gfx has a rotozoom function which might do everything for me, so I might take a look at it in the near future.

    And Yoga is good for you.
    Actually, it reminds me of Shaq Taco Bell Commercial (Taco Neck Syndrome)
    If you don't remember, here is a clip. :-)

    Last edited by mrbears; 10/17/2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
  14. numanair's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #14  
    Is there any way to change the controls? Maybe by recompiling or something? Besides that it seems to work well.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by numanair View Post
    Is there any way to change the controls? Maybe by recompiling or something? Besides that it seems to work well.
    minimal.cpp in the src/sdl directory in the keyprocess function contains how keys are handled, it should be somewhat straight forward what to edit.

    I have a huge list of things I want to fix on projects I have started, but until 3.0.4 is fixed... :-/
  16. #16  
    It looks like if you get portrait mode to work on the touchpad, we should be able to use the iCade cabinet with it without running Android. iCADE Arcade Cabinet for iPad Works for HP TouchPad! [Fun Stuff] | Fun Stuff, News |webOSroundup
  17. numanair's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #17  
    Yep. The iCade uses a HID Bluetooth module so it is just the same as a Bluetooth keyboard. It acts exactly like a keyboard except that it also sends a key press for the left of a button. I'm currently building a Bluetooth game controller that uses a mini Bluetooth keyboard to connect to devices. It should work with anything sub orating a bt keyboard as long as it has user definable keys.
  18. #18  
    Also, considering that the "native" mode of viewing for webOS is portrait mode, i have some doubts as to SDL being locked to landscape.. i could be wrong, though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  19. Aganar's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #19  
    Interesting, didn't notice this topic before.

    I've got mame4droid on my CM7 TP boot, it works well enough. I even got an iCade for Christmas, and it pairs just fine. There is something of an input delay though (dunno if it's bluetooth specific or just a limitation of the OS).

    I'm curious for anyone who has it on both webOS and CM7 how the framerates compare. Despite the Touchpad's competent hardware, I still notice some jerkiness on games like Sinistar, SF2, and even Ghosts n Goblins on occasion. I dunno if that has to do with poor optimization on the part of the code, and hence something that would be present on the webOS port as well, or if it's simply CM7's inability to do hardware acceleration as webOS might.

    I might try it myself if no one else has and post impressions. Didn't bring my iCade with me but I should have a PS3 controller around here somewhere...
  20.    #20  
    The thing Ive learned from webos is that if you are using low resolutions (like 320x240, like what mame uses, hell, what almost all emulators will use), then webos' SDL scaling is horrible. It eats the cpu for lunch. OpenGL is needed.

    That being said, I would say mame under webos is "ok", if you plan on playing mostly the older games, Im not sure how sf2 plays, Ive only tried tmnt and blktiger, and I would say they are playable.

    That being said, I have found other emulators (especially psx4all) to be slow under webos, only because the ones ive ported are strictly 2d video with no opengl. otoh, epse under android kick *** and will play anything at full speed.

    And as for rotating the screen, Ive played around with it, but couldnt get it to work, I guess I suck. Again, opengl would be a huge life saver here Im guessing.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions