Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    That's a shame. Maybe when HP releases the source code.

By the way, does this "port" include the icade support? The program had to be specially written to accomodate it because of the strange way it inputs (one button on down-press, and another button on release). If it does I'd simply be curious to see how that was worked in so that other popular emulators might support it in the future. It's too good of a game controller to limit to old arcade games--I'd love to see it working on NES, SNES, Genesis emulators, and so forth. There are certainly enough buttons.
  2.    #22  
    No built in support for icade, as the key definitions are hard coded into the source.

Seeing as icade generates different keysyms for both up and down events might be a little tricky to get it working. (source is available though, so someone with an icade should play around with it)

Honestly, if emulators are your thing (i love them), android is almost better in every case, but like you said, with webos source code coming, and native linux ports, there might be better options in the future.

fwiw if you want to see some guerilla recorded video of a mame4all with a barely function touch input along with a cps2emu and how bad psx4all sucks, i posted a new video to my site.
    Last edited by grazzt; 01/02/2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    CPS2 one looks pretty good. What app did you port it from? The only CPS2 emulator I was able to find on Android was a chinese one that was removed from the market (which was great, mind you, but it was clearly designed for phones and the screen-size was locked at phone size.
  4.    #24  
    oddly enough, its named cps2emu. lol

like everything else its "not bad", its playable, but in all honesty, should be much faster. (once again I blame webos' sdl scaling, I like to blame it, but who knows, maybe its something to do with how I compile stuff, who knows. lol)

based off the maemo one I believe, version 0.6-r1

if you want I can make a apk of it, of course it has no file/rom selection, you have to edit the .sh script to change what game you want to run.

edit: a rushed ipk was made on grazzt.ca . hope it works. if not, i'll fix it later.
    Last edited by grazzt; 01/02/2012 at 12:36 PM.
    iCade works really well on Cynagenmod's Alpha release of Android using mame4droid

Each time you launch a rom you can reconfigure the keys as not all roms have the same keyset

Mame works using the bluetooth keyboard too
    I was excited when I saw this and was hoping it would work with the iCade. Darn.

Oh well, there's always Mame4Droid with CM7 and surprisingly, the WebOS version of the game No Gravity does work with the iCade. As far as I know, it's the only WebOS app that currently does. It's a shame because it's a neat little device and several stores have been slashing the price on it after Christmas.
  7.    #27  
    For those with icades, can you test http://www.grazzt.ca/icade.gz

Gunzip it somewhere, and run it, it expects roms in /media/internal/mame

(and if youre curious, this also has the beta-alpha-lame-firsttry touch controls, bottom left is a "gamepad", bottom right is button 1, to the left of button 1 is button two, top left is "escape", top right is insert coind, middle top is start game... and it sucks).

More interested in how the icade reacts though, does it do anything, do controls get stuck, etc, so you should be able to insert coin touching the top right of the screen, and then top middle to start and then go from there.

Im not expecting much. lol
    Last edited by grazzt; 01/06/2012 at 08:24 AM.
    I'm at work but will try it when I get home and report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    For those with icades, can you test http://www.grazzt.ca/icade.gz

Gunzip it somewhere, and run it, it expects roms in /media/internal/mame

(and if youre curious, this also has the beta-alpha-lame-firsttry touch controls, bottom left is a "gamepad", bottom right is button 1, to the left of button 1 is button two, top left is "escape", top right is insert coind, middle top is start game... and it sucks).

More interested in how the icade reacts though, does it do anything, do controls get stuck, etc, so you should be able to insert coin touching the top right of the screen, and then top middle to start and then go from there.

Im not expecting much. lol
    Awesome work by the way. I have yet to try this app out but sounds great.

I have an iControlPad and will test it sometime over the next couple days to let you know how it works out (if no one comments by then).

The iControlPad can work in both iCade mode and in HID Keyboard mode. I was planning to patch the keyboard layout and test this in HID Keyboard mode but now looks like it will work without a patch, thx.

Info about the Bluetooth Controller I posted here :

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...hpad-pre2.html
    Last edited by djgardn2; 01/06/2012 at 12:36 PM.
    I'll give it a try a bit later on or maybe tomorrow, bit foofed from work this evening LOL
    We need to get this guy a keyboard

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    We need to get this guy a keyboard

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    if youre referring to me, I now have a BT keyboard. (which is how i tested cps2emu, and why I think now the icade binary might work with an icade)

And for those icades, if the mame binary doesnt act well, can you open the just type thing (or an xterm, or whatever, something that takes input), and hold up on the icade and see what it prints out, then let go of up. It should print w's as you hold up, and an e when you let go, then nothing... Just want to confirm that.
    wewewewewexzxzxzxzxzaqaqaqaqaqdcdcdcdcdcythrufjnimkpoglv

That is what the icade just Typed. we is up xz is down aq is left and dc is right. Sort of a modified WASD. The other letter combos are the buttons.

I will try the mame version you posted but got to boot up my pc. The touchpad doesn't knows how to handle gz.
  14.    #34  
    Yeah I know the key bindings, its in their pdf, Im just curious what exactly happens if you hold down one of the directions/buttons. (I should have been more specific)

ie holding up for say 5 seconds, then letting go, does it generate "wwwwwwwwwwwe" or "wewewewewe" or something else?

Ok, knowing that the tp cant handle .gz, would it be easier if i zipped further binaries?
    Last edited by grazzt; 01/06/2012 at 06:48 PM.
    It just seems to do the we etc once for each time you move the stick or push a button. There is no rapid fire sort of repeat, at least not in any text boxes I have been trying on web pages.

It seems you have to push it each time you want a single we. Not sure how that really works in games since in the games it works with the character will keep moving left or right or whatever as long as you have the stick held in that direction.

By the way, at the risk of sounding dense here, where do I put the mame_touchpad.gpe file linked above in the gzip? I have the ipk from the first post installed via Preware and some roms that I have verified run okay, I just need to figure out where to place the gpe file or how to use it.

Sorry, my experience with MAME thus far has been the Android version and maybe messing around with it ages ago in the 90s but I can't recall much from then.
  16.    #36  
    the mame_touchpad.gpe (which i didnt rename before gzipping, my bad), is just an executable.

You can copy it over the original mame executable, or run it from an xterm (if you have xterm installed).

Or I can create an ipk.

Interesting that "w" isnt repeated, which is not what the sdk docs says should happen. Also not sure how the new binary will react..
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    Yeah I know the key bindings, its in their pdf, Im just curious what exactly happens if you hold down one of the directions/buttons. (I should have been more specific)

ie holding up for say 5 seconds, then letting go, does it generate "wwwwwwwwwwwe" or "wewewewewe" or something else?

Ok, knowing that the tp cant handle .gz, would it be easier if i zipped further binaries?
    I don't have my iCade with me right now, but I can clarify this for you:

The way the iCade works is that every input registers two presses--once on button down, once on button up. So if you push left on the joystick and hold for five seconds, it would type "w"; when you released (i.e. stopped pushing left), it would type "e". This is why if you simply press left quickly it types "we". The amount of time you hold the button has no effect because it's not registering the button being held down as multiple presses; it will register the down-press as one and won't register anything else (for that button) until you release.
  18.    #38  
    I have created an ipk at http://grazzt.ca/icade.ipk

This also includes a different binary.

(and yes the icon says icadtest, lol)

and Im 50/50 on whether or not it will work. Gut says controls will "work", but held controls will not.

And just some for something different, I guess bluetooth keyboards have the same "problem" as normal keyboards? That they have problems with multiple keys being pressed at same time? ie, in mame, if I do a diagonal up left (aka holding wa keys), and try to hit y (y being assigned as button 1), nothing registers (all other 3 diagonal movements work though with y, so i guess its a hardware limitation). Could be a problem for games that need multiple (aka >3) buttons at once.
    Last edited by grazzt; 01/07/2012 at 07:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I did notice that while playing some NES roms using a bluetooth keyboard, yes. There was also something of an input delay, like the thing could only detect so many of my rapid button presses in succession. I was planning to make a video at one point demonstrating how some moves were impossible in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!! because of this, but I figured, "Who gives a ****?".
    Okay I tried the latest posted ipk a couple of posts up. It sort of works but not properly.

The inputs don't seem to work every time I push them but if I push them a bunch of times in succession then they work some of the times. Like if I hold right or left nothing happens but if I keep spamming right or left then the character will turn and sort of inch just a little bit.

Also the buttons are similar. If I hit them once then they don't usually do anything but hit them a bunch of times and then I can jump or fire or whatever.

Just to confirm that my iCade was paired correctly to WebOS and functioning properly I tried No Gravity and the iCade controls there worked fine.

Also, confirming what Aganar said and correcting what I've previously said, the iCade controls do indeed seem to do one letter when you push the stick in a direction or a button down and another when you let go and release. So it seems that for example holding the stick right generates a w alone which signifies go right and keep going right while releasing the stick generates the e which signals stop going right.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast