Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is this project on the horizon?
    I have played around with it a little, I believe the latest sdlmame (0.135 I think) compiles fine and I believe it works. I have no BT keyboard, so cant test, and obv with no touch controls it has no input.

The latest mame I can get to compile, but it cores on a lot of games, not sure whats up with that.

Maybe I'll put up an ipk so those with bt keyboards can test it.

With webos' *inexplicable* non-support for BT gamepads, not sure how long I will work on it.
    I do't know if this helps but several MAME games are touchscreen based, look for the touchmaster games by JPM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzt View Post
    I have played around with it a little, I believe the latest sdlmame (0.135 I think) compiles fine and I believe it works. I have no BT keyboard, so cant test, and obv with no touch controls it has no input.

The latest mame I can get to compile, but it cores on a lot of games, not sure whats up with that.

Maybe I'll put up an ipk so those with bt keyboards can test it.

With webos' *inexplicable* non-support for BT gamepads, not sure how long I will work on it.
    That would be great. I have BT Keyboard so I will be happy to give you feedback on the device.

By BT gamepads, do you mean Wiimote or iCade? I finally saw iCade at my local BestBuy and the dimension looked perfect to use with Touchpad. Imagine using TouchPad with iCade -> Instant Arcade with Unlimited Coins. :-)
    Do BT gamepads use a different BT profile? I thought I saw someone mention that. I have seen multiple folks attempt to pair mice, but haven't seen any posts about attempting to pair a game pad.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Would be interesting especially if it had some touchscreen support. Not sure how you accomplish that since MAME is so keyboard necessary, but I'd love to help if I could. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbears View Post
    That would be great. I have BT Keyboard so I will be happy to give you feedback on the device.

By BT gamepads, do you mean Wiimote or iCade? I finally saw iCade at my local BestBuy and the dimension looked perfect to use with Touchpad. Imagine using TouchPad with iCade -> Instant Arcade with Unlimited Coins. :-)
    Don't know if you had seen this, iCade pairs with the TP and it fits nicely...need mame port now please

http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/07/...pad-fun-stuff/
    Interesting, dont know whats going on, but I can get it run to run in the xterm under xecutah, but not when I create an ipk... so just give me a little time. lol
    Okay, first version available at *link removed* . Webpage says what to do to change game. No idea if bt keyboards works.

Based off xmame 0.105, so if it seems like it "crashes", probably means the rom has changed since .105.

SF2 is known to work.

stupid fact: sf2 runs twice as fast in the ubuntu chroot.. why? beats me.. maybe different sdl? who knows

edit: sorry, removing link, its just too screwed up at this point
    Last edited by grazzt; 10/07/2011 at 03:27 PM.
    difference i notice between ubuntu and 'native' is ubuntu runs at 32bpp with a format of RGB 888, while native runs at 16bpp at RGB 565, maybe this is the discrepancy in why it runs slower.. beats me

All I can say, is that no clue whats going on.

Sometime it runs when clicked, sometimes it does not (although its still running as a pid, just no output)

YOu may have to killall -9 xmame to stop xmame
    Or run mame.sh from the installed dir in an xterm..
    I think thats all Im going to work on... its flakey.. at best
    Maybe the 30 meg executable size is messing up webos?

Best idea: copy the executable to your ubuntu chroot, and run it from there.

conclusion : if you dont know *** youre doing, dont d/l and install it.
    Last edited by grazzt; 10/07/2011 at 02:29 PM.
    Thank you @grazzt

I guess I already goofed (noob alert) and tried to install the .ipk from Internalz. It looks like I need to have Ubuntu installed (wanted to do this anyway). Did I screw anything up, the installtion was hanging there spinning so I just closed it out.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    difference i notice between ubuntu and 'native' is ubuntu runs at 32bpp with a format of RGB 888, while native runs at 16bpp at RGB 565, maybe this is the discrepancy in why it runs slower.. beats me

All I can say, is that no clue whats going on.

Sometime it runs when clicked, sometimes it does not (although its still running as a pid, just no output)

YOu may have to killall -9 xmame to stop xmame
    Or run mame.sh from the installed dir in an xterm..
    I think thats all Im going to work on... its flakey.. at best
    Maybe the 30 meg executable size is messing up webos?

Best idea: copy the executable to your ubuntu chroot, and run it from there.

conclusion : if you dont know *** youre doing, dont d/l and install it.
    grazzt, you have gone further than any of us... I am not sure what is causing problem but it is definitely a good progress. I will be keeping my fingers crossed. Hope to hear what you have found out. Thank you.

BTW, I just noticed that NewEgg is selling iCade at $70 instead of $100 with free shipping and no tax. If we can get this to work, I will be so tempted to jump at this deal. It will be early Christmas for me as I jump back to childhood... to make up for all the times that I couldn't go to the arcade to play my favorite games because of homework.
    I have posted a binary at http://touchpad.grazzt.com/xmame.gz

Version of .105 of xmame, so if you have "newer" roms, it might not work.

It runs pretty well in the ubuntu chroot (hell, even the webos keybaord will give input, but not very well). I would assume BT keybaords will work well. Sound will work if you run mame quickly twice in succession.

All I can conclude about webos is that they have some weird SDL installed that doesnt play well with mame. It will run sometime, sometimes it hangs (seems to hang on video initilization), sometimes it gives illegal signal, beats me. Sort of sad that the ubuntu chroot is using a better version of SDL.

yes Ive changed HWSURFACE to SWSURFACE for the webos compile, that doesnt fix anything.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Now that a alpha version of the cm7 android port has been released, would it be better to run MAME in that or in chroot Ubuntu?
    mame4all for the touchpad will never compare to mamedroid in android.

The rendering is faster in android, and the menu system really cant be matched.

So android wins, by a fair amount.

not saying mame4all isnt ok for the TP, in the testing of games I would like to play, it seems to run it fast enough, I just need to get the virtual joystick working better.
    Last edited by grazzt; 10/17/2011 at 05:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady_ View Post
    Don't know if you had seen this, iCade pairs with the TP and it fits nicely...need mame port now please

iCADE Arcade Cabinet for iPad Works for HP TouchPad! [Fun Stuff] | Fun Stuff, News |webOSroundup
    I need follow-up on this, dammit! The iCade accessory has been the sole selling point of an iPad over an Android tablet for me. If we could truly get it working for a MAME emulator on a Touchpad my life would be complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    I need follow-up on this, dammit! The iCade accessory has been the sole selling point of an iPad over an Android tablet for me. If we could truly get it working for a MAME emulator on a Touchpad my life would be complete.
    According to Ben (webOS dev team), as long as the program accepts keyboard input it can work with iCade. It would be preferable for the program to allow for custom configuration of the keyboard input, from my reading, the iCade puts out a specific key set to relay the joy stick and button pushes.

With that said, I would guess any game accepting keyboard input could be tweaked with some text editing of the file that converts the keyboard entry into input.

Also it has been stated any BT gaming pad that gives input as keyboard input should be able to work in the above mentioned scenarios.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    If someone posts the keysym codes that the icade generates (for everything, joystick moves, buttons, etc), I could probably add it to mame4all, or at least add it to the list that mame4all will do. lol
    If someone posts the keysym codes that the icade generates (for everything, joystick moves, buttons, etc), I could probably add it to mame4all, or at least add it to the list that mame4all will do. lol
    I haven't looked at it, but Ben said before he had purchased the iCade he looked at the SDK for it and that's where he found the key strokes produced. If anyone wants to take a look at it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast