Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I know how to do this tweak through manually editing luna-platform.conf, but I learned today how dangerous it can be to manually edit the system files.

I'm wondering if someone could please create a patch that changes these two values in luna-platform.conf:
    ActiveCardWindowRatio=0.55
    NonActiveCardWindowRatio=0.50

from .55 and .50, to .75 and .75. That's how I had it running for about a week now, and it was AWESOME! You can see the cards much clearer when they are large like that, and you can even read the text inside the cards very easily.

I'm sure it would be a simple patch to make, and maybe I could learn from this example how I can make patches on my own.

Thanks!

DOWNLOAD: Thanks to the kind Kyle3om, the patch can be found in post #9. Thanks, Kyle!
    Last edited by judith007; 10/04/2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Added download location
    next_milenium likes this.
    how dangerous is it to manually edit system files?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
    how dangerous is it to manually edit system files?
    VERY dangerous!! At first I thought it was easy, and then after I ran into a bunch of problems I said: "I'll never do this again!"

Even if you change one sensitive character or one line break, then the other patches that you installed in Preware could cause serious problems, because they are expecting to modify the ORIGINAL system files. Also, I noticed that a lot of patches were giving me errors when trying to install them. Now that all of my system files are unmodded, all of the Preware patches install succesfully.
    I wouldn't say VERY dangerous it just breaks patch installation.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I wouldn't say VERY dangerous it just breaks patch installation.
    +1 on that! He knows way more than I do.
    I will post one here for ya when I get out of class. Its just a minor modification to my existing patch.
    Any modification to how close the cards are to each other?
    Last edited by kyle3om; 10/04/2011 at 12:11 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle3om View Post
    I will post one here for ya when I get out of class. Its just a minor modification to my existing patch.
    Any modification to how close the cards are to each other?
    AWESOME!!! Thanks a lot!

When I did it, I didn't change how close the cards are to each other. But if you want to try it, you could make them a little closer. Maybe other people will end up using it like that, too.

I think a lot of people will like the .75 .75 patch. It's a lot easier to see the cards, and it's actually easier to flip through them and choose the cards, because you get a larger tapping area for each card.
    Great idea! Can't wait for this patch.
    Ok here ya go. Its a pretty nice setting. I still prefer just changing the main cards size, but this is pretty slick too.
    I did make the cards closer together (original:30, new: 10). I thought it was enough gap to make it still look like cards, but puts more on the screen.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kyle3om; 10/04/2011 at 08:45 PM.
  10.    #10  
    EDIT: THIS IS A NEWBIE MISTAKE THAT I DID. PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST!!

Thanks for the attempt, Kyle, but it didn't work for me.

I attached a screenshot of the error messages.

Do you know what this means? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by judith007; 10/04/2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Noted my mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by judith007 View Post
    Thanks for the attempt, Kyle, but it didn't work for me.

I attached a screenshot of the error messages.

Do you know what this means? Thanks
    /sigh. thats not the patch you tried to install. Its wrapped in some kind of download container according to the screenshot. Use the built in "email attachment" that precentral has. Open the attachment on the touchpad and voila internalz pro will allow installation.

For future note: when you see random characters in front of something (happens when you tried to download something from the web browser or box.net from a link) the touchpad hasnt downloaded the file, but has downloaded everything the host gave it. Which can contain download instructions. Its a known webos browser error.
  12.    #12  
    /sigh. thats not the patch you tried to install. Its wrapped in some kind of download container according to the screenshot. Use the built in "email attachment" that precentral has. Open the attachment on the touchpad and voila internalz pro will allow installation.

For future note: when you see random characters in front of something (happens when you tried to download something from the web browser or box.net from a link) the touchpad hasnt downloaded the file, but has downloaded everything the host gave it. Which can contain download instructions. Its a known webos browser error.
    Awesome! You were right! Sorry for my newbie mistake.

The patch is AWESOME!! I like it a lot. I also like it that you made the cards closer together - I think it's more functional like that.

Thanks again! I hope other people like this as well.
  13.    #13  
    I tried to edit the title of this thread to remove the word "request", but it keeps reverting to the old title. Am I doing something wrong? I just wanted others to be able to see that the patch is completed.
    Ok here ya go. Its a pretty nice setting. I still prefer just changing the main cards size, but this is pretty slick too.
    I did make the cards closer together (original:30, new: 10). I thought it was enough gap to make it still look like cards, but puts more on the screen.
    Do I need some other type of program to see this patch ?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MUNOGABBAGABBA View Post
    Do I need some other type of program to see this patch ?
    Kyle has added it to Preware now! Just go to Preware and install the "BiggerCards" patch by Kyle3om.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot Kyle for the patch. It works wonderful!
    awesome patch kyle... I was wondering tho.. does this patch effect anything else that i might have installed patch wise? (or is there anything i cant install now since i'm using this patch?)

thanks!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    What happened to this patch?

I found kyle's "bigger active screen when minimized" but don't find Biggercards anywhere, even when I search for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    What happened to this patch?

I found kyle's "bigger active screen when minimized" but don't find Biggercards anywhere, even when I search for it.
    It's not in preware. You can get it by clicking the "email attachment" on the post above. Then open that attachment on your touchpad. I'm not sure it needs to be added to preware.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I used the email attachment link and it sent it to my email address. I accessed my email address from the touchpad (Gmail using the browser) and downloaded the attachment which is still starting with numbers and letters meaning it's the container

If I try opening it from internalz pro, of course the installation fails.

Can someone please detail the process for a WebOS newbie.

Thanks,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast