1.    #1  
    I'm wondering if this is a common problem, and if anyone knows a fix.

I attached 2 screenshots of how the screen looks for some apps. One screenshot is of the exhibition view, and it always shows the screen split like that - no matter what the exhibition program is. The other is of Preware.

For another example, the email client looks fine when in the main view, but if I try to compose or reply to an email, then I get the split view and I can't see what I'm typing.

Unfortunately, Internalz file manager and Preware are always in split screen view, so I can't use them. I would love to try uninstalling stuff from Preware, but it's not possible because I can't see what I'm doing.

This started a few days ago, and I don't know what caused it. It might've been something I recently installed from Preware, but then I would think it was a more common problem.

I did some modifications to the luna.conf file, as per the forum instructions for increasing homescreen icons. That was a while ago, though, and I thought it didn't cause any problems.

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by judith007; 10/03/2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I had this issue sometimes. A reboot always fixed it...
    Yikes. I would say you probably have something corrupted. I think that's the problem with having people manually edit system files. Especially when you mix system file editing with patches. Because patches look for the original files and even simple things like having an extra end of line character can make the patch not install. I would recommend removing all patches, and replacing your manually edited files with the originals (that the forum should have said you should make). Or ask here for what system files you need the original of. Then only install patches. You can request patches from the people that are encouraging system file modifications. They just have to throw their edits and the original file into Jason's Unified Diff Creator. Or you could do this yourself. But doing it this way is a much safer method.
    Last edited by kyle3om; 10/02/2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: addition help
  4.    #4  
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

Rebooting doesn't fix the problem.

I have all of the modified .conf backed up (I think it was just luna.conf and luna-platform.conf). What's the best way to replace those files without using Internalz (because the app doesn't work now)?

Also, is there any way to uninstall Preware patches without using Preware (because the app is broken)?

THANKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by judith007 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

Rebooting doesn't fix the problem.

I have all of the modified .conf backed up (I think it was just luna.conf and luna-platform.conf). What's the best way to replace those files without using Internalz (because the app doesn't work now)?

Also, is there any way to uninstall Preware patches without using Preware (because the app is broken)?

THANKS!
    Use webos quick install from the pc. I think you will have to do linux cmd line operations to replace those file though. But removing patches should be easy from that.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I had this problem after installing the patch to display apps in the emulator larger. I don't know why. But after I removed the patch it was fixed.
  7.    #7  
    Some files that I'm trying to return to normal (namely luna.conf and luna-platform.conf) aren't allowing me to edit them because of permission problems.

Is there any way to change the permissions on those files, without using Internalz (since it doesn't work for me)?

I tried to change the permissions using Gemini file manager, but it gives me access denied errors.

Thanks!

Edit: I tried chmod 755 on the files from the "webos quick install" linux commandline, and the command doesn't give any errors, but I still get "permission denied" when trying to edit those files.
    Last edited by judith007; 10/02/2011 at 10:34 PM.
  8.    #8  
    I think I located the problem to be the luna.conf file, but now my main problem is that I can't replace or edit that file in any way!

I tried to uninstall all patches through quickinstall, and everything uninstalled except for 3 patches, and each one displayed an error with the luna.conf file. If I can somehow restore that file, I'm sure the problem will be solved.

After I uninstalled the patches, the file's permissions changed to 755, but still I can't replace or edit it.

I think if I could get Internalz to work, I might be able to restore the file to it's original state, but Internalz doesn't work because of this problem.

Does anyone know how I can replace the luna.conf file WITHOUT using Internalz? The Gemini file manager doesn't give me the option to edit or overwrite the file, nor to change its permissions.

Thanks! Sorry for bothering you guys with this. I promise I'll never manually edit a file again!
  9.    #9  
    Okay it's finally fixed. Here's what I did, in case it helps anyone else in the future:

I tried to uninstall all patches from the quickinstall PC program. 3 patches wouldn't uninstall. I still had the problem and I couldn't replace the modded files with the originals, so I felt stuck.

Then I remembered that quickinstall only restarted Luna, not the device. So I did a full restart on the device, and finally the problem was gone and the screen returned to normal.

Now I could use Internalz and Preware, so things got a lot easier. The 3 stuck patches still wouldn't uninstall from Preware, so I replaced the modded .conf files with the originals in Internalz, and then finally the 3 stuck patches successfully uninstalled.

Then I re-installed everything again WITHOUT having manually edited any system files, and now everything is working fine.

I think there should be a sticky on this forum warning against manually editing the system files. It creates a BIG mess!!