Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Donkey Hodie#WN
  1.    #1  
    I would love to be able to map the top left key (above the tilde and left of the magnifying glass keys) on the HP Bluetooth keyboard to ESC in xterm. It would make working in vi so much more convenient than using the virtual keyboard to do the {thorn}-[ sequence to generate an ESC. Is this something that could even be done in xmodmap? What is the keycode of that key?
    alex80386 likes this.
    That would be nice. Using the on-screen keyboard, I'm finding nano works well for simple stuff. When you edit a file in nano and then hit the keyboard symbol in the lower right hand side of the soft keyboard, it generates a Ctrl-X which is the exit for nano, so nano asks if you want to "save modified buffer", but making vi more usable with the HP Bluetooth keyboard would be great.
    It's X, can you xmodmap?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    That would be nice. Using the on-screen keyboard, I'm finding nano works well for simple stuff. When you edit a file in nano and then hit the keyboard symbol in the lower right hand side of the soft keyboard, it generates a Ctrl-X which is the exit for nano, so nano asks if you want to "save modified buffer", but making vi more usable with the HP Bluetooth keyboard would be great.
    I mostly use xterm to ssh in to servers at work, (mostly headless servers when I'm right in front of them - the TouchPad is awesome for that) and they don't have nano or pico installed, just vi.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Omg I would love this.. Does anyone know how to hit ALT? I feel like the keyboard's gotten stuck a few times, almost like an "ALT-Lock". Tapping 'Tab' alt-tabs btwn programs.. etc.

I feel like it has something to do with holding down the control button, but haven't been able to replicate.
  6.    #6  
    I don't have a debian or ubuntu chroot installed, just the XTerm that comes with XServer/Xecutah, so that means xmodmap is not installed, so I can't do it that way. I paired my HP bluetooth keyboard to my mac laptop, and when I press that upper-left key (the "Notifications" key) it just produces an ESC. So, it seems like that key *IS* the ESC, but that webOS (or Luna?) is capturing keyboard ESC sequences in order to dismiss notifications. I would love a patch to change this behavior, but I don't even know where to start looking.
  7.    #7  
    I confirmed that the ESC is being captured by webOS or Luna, because I paired an Apple bluetooth keyboard with my TP, and the ESC key on it didn't do anything in XTerm, but it did cancel notifications, just like on the HP keyboard. So, I found out that key on the HP keyboard really is an ESC, and that something in the OS is trapping the ESC and not passing it to applications. If anyone has any idea where to start looking to change that, I'd be grateful.
    I've got the escape key working in xserver. I've modified the keymap to use another keycode for the escape key and I've patched the xserver to map that new keycode back to the escape key.

Touchpad Bluetooth Keyboard - WebOS Internals
    The patched kmap2qmap already contains the workaround for the escape key.

Here are the patches for the xkeyboardconfig and xsdl:
    http://users.openinkpot.org/~lunohod...cape-key.patch
    http://users.openinkpot.org/~lunohod...cape-key.patch
    Any chance of this patch being submitted to the xserver git?

I cloned the repos and applied the patches, but have no idea how to compile. Hahaha, yes I'm a noob, but I'd really like to use the ESC key while using vim.

Edit:
    Okay, after a week of trying to compile xsdl with lunohod's patches, I gave up. But I did the next best thing. I've remapped the grave symbol key (the one next to the numeric 1 -- looks like this: `) to be the ESC key.

If anyone's interested, make a backup of the file 'touchpad' in '/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.xserver/share/X11/xkb/symbols/', and copy the one in the zip over.

Something interesting I found: the euro symbol on the virtual keyboard is mapped to ESC key in X. Much easier than doing the holding CTRL+bracket thing. It'd be still wonderful if someone with the knowledge would add the xsdl patch to the repo so the ESC key would work in X by default.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by xerox3500; 01/15/2012 at 10:34 PM.