Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    ... wouldn't it also be a feasible alternative to write emulation software that would allow users to run Android apps in WebOS since they're both based on the Linux kernel?
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Possible? Yes.
    Likely? No.

I think its not a trivial job to get an Android VM going on webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    Possible? Yes.
    Likely? No.

I think its not a trivial job to get an Android VM going on webOS.
    There's a project called PalmDroid that's attempting it. A thread here announced that the project was cancelled, but it does appear to be going forward:

spencerelliott / Palmdroid / wiki / Home — Bitbucket
    [ANDROID] Official Palmdroid Development Thread - xda-developers

Spyke
    knownboyofno, sorli and Rnp like this.
    sorli and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    openmobile would be nice, but i heard they will only sell it to oem companies or something
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    openmobile would be nice, but i heard they will only sell it to oem companies or something
    Yeah but this is what some of these developers they should be shooting for. Instead of bringing in the whole OS, just bring the apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Yeah but this is what some of these developers they should be shooting for. Instead of bringing in the whole OS, just bring the apps.
    Agreed!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    +11111
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Right on the money!!! +1
    If the emulation of just the apps is possible, how will we get the apps in the first place? Will touchpad have access to the android app market?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    If the emulation of just the apps is possible, how will we get the apps in the first place? Will touchpad have access to the android app market?
    Sideloading .apk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mongler View Post
    Sideloading .apk?

How do you plan on getting those .apks?
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Sideloading the various market apks which are freely available.
    Try using google search, there are many ways to get android apps. Amazon, developers site, third party sites are just a few off the top of my head.
  15.    #15  
    The Market ain't the only source for .apks.
    Isn't the market itself essentially an apk install???
    To be honest, when Android hits, I will probably get rid of WebOS completely. Android has every APP I'd need and WebOS has nothing special Android doesn't as far as I know. And I could imagine Touchpad running a lot faster with a custom Android ROM and Kernel from a great development team.
    Quote Originally Posted by plancy View Post
    To be honest, when Android hits, I will probably get rid of WebOS completely. Android has every APP I'd need and WebOS has nothing special Android doesn't as far as I know. And I could imagine Touchpad running a lot faster with a custom Android ROM and Kernel from a great development team.
    I don't understand people who own the touchpad and still have this line of thinking. The little things about webOS, like the way notifications work, multitasking, and the drop down menu where you can adjust wifi settings and brightness on the fly all make webOS a great experience to me, and even with all the apps, iOS and Android seem clunky and slow in comparison. Yeah, words with friends would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth it when the cost is a cumbersome interface.
    m0ngr31 likes this.
    its a tough choice. I played Around with a friends nook color, modded with CM7. The interface was clunky as hell compared with webOS. It was a pain.

the second thing I noticed was how many cool apps he had that I didn't, and on top of that how superior the equivalent apps were. For example, comic reader had way more settings than Comicshelf, lots of known games not available on Touchpad, like 3 sideloading ereader programs all superior to preader, etc etc.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

Does ACL have a future on webOS?

OpenMobile is a new company on the application compatibility scene whose primary product, the Application Compatibility Layer, promises to bring Android's large volume of apps to smaller platforms.

In the following video, ACL is shown running on MeeGo, where the creators promise full compatibility with every Android app -- without the need for developer modification -- by leveraging Google's runtime environment and Dalvik VM.

ACL 4 Smartphones and Tablets

OpenMobile enables 200,000+ Android apps to run on Smartphones and Tablets. An OEM launching a device that does not offer a massive number of apps faces the lack of customer adoption.

Designed for OEM’s the power of OpenMobile’s ACL (Application Compatibility Layer) is that your customers can enjoy immediate access to 200,000+ apps the day your device is introduced. ACL is uniquely designed to enable an entire apps ecosystem to perform optimally on your OS without penalty or draining precious CPU and memory resources.

ACL Today

Available for MeeGoo (ACL4MeeGo)

Available for Linux-based OSs (ACL4Linux)

Planned for additional OSs (Windows, WebOS, Bada, QNX, Symbian, etc)

Provides freedom of choice (processors, hardware, form factors)

Designed for OEMs, optimized for Smartphones and Tablets

The bottom line is that you will have immediate access to 200,000+ apps from the Android market.

OpenMobile: company overview
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast