Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbackdave View Post
    I had never done anything like this -- until I was intrigued with this thread and decided to go for it my self.

Not to worry - just be sure you follow the upper-lower case exactly and you will be fine.
    LOL, yes there is reason to worry. Wish I had more confidence to go it like you did. I'm truly afraid to venture on but at least I've done the following:

Made the LaunchMod DIR then with sweating hands, made two (2) folders under that same DIR, Originals and MyChange. Wow. Next steps require me to have lots of coffee and nicotine gum (ha!)

breathlessTP
    BreathlessTP. This was not hard and it works well. Just don't be stupid like me and copy everything in on the list as one name.. There are three separate files. Plus the first one is layoutSettings.conf not ayoutSettings.conf as it says.
    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    BreathlessTP. This was not hard and it works well. Just don't be stupid like me and copy everything in on the list as one name.. There are three separate files. Plus the first one is layoutSettings.conf not ayoutSettings.conf as it says.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the words of confidence and the great tip. I'll try it.

breathlessTP
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    Good luck.
    Well, tonight I tried it and somehow, someway, FAILED. Needless to say I followed the instructions to the "T" (creating new folder in Internalz=LauncherMod, then two (2) sub folders=Originals and MyChange).

I then copied all files from */etc/palm/launcher3 and put them into the Originals sub folder for restore if needed as stated. Went back into the to stock files and made changes to them in place making sure of spelling and capitalization. Did not do a Luna Restart when finished but made copy of each changed stock file to carry over to sub folder MyChange. Did this method for each of the stock changed files. Once done, did a Luna Restart.

It's a complete mystery to me why nothing changed when it came back on AND all my typed changes to the stock files where NOT there. I'm totally bummed out, but at least I tried. Oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help and words of encouragement but I give up!

breathlessTP
    Quote Originally Posted by breathlessTP View Post
    Well, tonight I tried it and somehow, someway, FAILED. Needless to say I followed the instructions to the "T" (creating new folder in Internalz=LauncherMod, then two (2) sub folders=Originals and MyChange).

I then copied all files from */etc/palm/launcher3 and put them into the Originals sub folder for restore if needed as stated. Went back into the to stock files and made changes to them in place making sure of spelling and capitalization. Did not do a Luna Restart when finished but made copy of each changed stock file to carry over to sub folder MyChange. Did this method for each of the stock changed files. Once done, did a Luna Restart.

It's a complete mystery to me why nothing changed when it came back on AND all my typed changes to the stock files where NOT there. I'm totally bummed out, but at least I tried. Oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help and words of encouragement but I give up!

breathlessTP
    Full Device restart?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Full Device restart?

Yep!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Full Device restart?

.... and still nothing!
    Any news on a patch for this?
    Well in follow-up to my prior post and failure at this, I now have SUCCESS!!!!!!!! Love it, love it, love it. Thanks to everyone for posting their hard work and helping out - I truly appreciate it.

I kinda have a bit more courage to push on to something else now
    I have made a few tweaks and verified the following works in 3.0.5:

---------------------

For:*9x6+ Icons, Smallest "full tap" Launch Bar, & Launcher Icon just above Bar
    ==========================================================
    ** * * *(6+ Icons lets you see when more exist, so you will know to drag up)

How to do it:
    ============

= Use InternalZ to navigate to the directory noted below ( /etc/palm/launcher3 )
    = Create 2 new folders:* HP-305-Base* and My-305
    = Copy directory launcher3 and paste it into HP-305-Base
    = Open My-305 and create the 3 files exactly as noted below - EXACTLY!!
    Note: if you did this mod before, you can use those files and make the tweaks
    = Copy the 3 My-305 files into /etc/palm/launcher3, responding Yes to overwrite?
    = Use the InternalZ menu to Restart Luna
    = See the results!!!

Note: First parameter below:
    * * (quickLaunchBarLauncherAccessButtonVerticalOffsetPx)

Change "-60" to "0" to move*Launcher Icon down onto the Launcher Bar then: you can use up to 5 Icons for "normal" look/action and up to 7 if you want but over 5 in portrait mode will drop showing icons on the right and the last one on the right will hide the Launcher Icon, but tapping it will open the Launcher

Files to change are in: */etc/palm/launcher3

layoutSettings.conf
    -------------------------------------------
    [QuickLaunch]
    quickLaunchBarLauncherAccessButtonVerticalOffsetPx=-60
    quickLaunchBarUseAbsoluteSize=true
    quickLaunchBarHeightAbsolute=65
    quickLaunchItemAreaVerticalOffsetPx=50
    quickLaunchItemAreaHorizontalOffsetPcx=0
    quickLaunchMaxItems=10
    [DoneButton]
    doneButtonTextVerticalPosAdjust=-3
    doneButtonHorizontalPositionAdjustPx=42

launcher_icon_layoutsettings.conf
    --------------------------------------------
    [ReorderableLayout]
    InterRowSpaceInPixels=0
    IconHorizontalSpaceAdjustInPixels=11
    MaxIconsPerRow=9
    RowLeftMarginInPixels=1
    RowTopMarginInPixels=1
    UseFixedLengthCellSize=true
    FixedIconCellHeight=100
    FixedIconCellWidth=100
    EmptyPageTextBoxWidthPx=350
    EmptyPageTextBoxCenterVerticalOffsetPx=350
    EmptyPageTextFontSizePx=18
    EmptyPageTextColor=#aaaaaa

launcher_icon_geom_settings.conf
    ------------------------------------
    [Main]
    MainIconBoxVerticalProportionToTotalGeom=1.6
    FrameBoxVerticalProportionToTotalGeom=.8
    UseAbsoluteMainIconGeom=true
    MainIconAbsoluteGeomSizeHeightPx=50
    UseAbsoluteFrameGeom=true
    FrameBoxAbsoluteGeomSizeHeightPx=1
    UseAbsoluteRemoveDeleteDecoratorOffsetFromGeomOrigin=true
    RemoveDeleteDecoratorHorizontalOffsetFromGeomOrigin=-35
    RemoveDeleteDecoratorVerticalOffsetFromGeomOrigin=-35
    InstallStatusDecoratorHorizontalOffsetFromGeomOrigin=50
    InstallStatusDecoratorVerticalOffsetFromGeomOrigin=-50
    MainIconVerticalOffsetFromGeomOriginPx=-11
    [Label]
    LabelVerticalSpacingFromMainIcon=10
    FontSizePx=12

..............end...............
    Last edited by silverbackdave; 01/16/2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added note about using the 3.0.4 files as tweak base
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
    Screen shot for the above 9x6+
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave
    silverbackdave: Since I tweaked the files (per your changes) won't they stay the same without having to make these NEW CHANGES FOR 3.05? Are you saying 3.05 won't read or carry over the files as they are now in 3.04? If yes, then should 3.04 tweaked files be deleted once the NEW CHANGES FOR 3.05 are done?

Thanks in advance for all your "help and tweaks" - I love 'em.
    silverbackdave: Since I tweaked the files (per your changes) won't they stay the same without having to make these NEW CHANGES FOR 3.05? Are you saying 3.05 won't read or carry over the files as they are now in 3.04? If yes, then should 3.04 tweaked files be deleted once the NEW CHANGES FOR 3.05 are done?

Thanks in advance for all your "help and tweaks" - I love 'em.
    When 3.0.5 installed, it brought over the official HP versions of the files - so it wiped out your (our) changed files from 3.0.4 -- that's why I gave the instructions as noted earlier.
    (No need to get rid of your earlier changes HP does so. Grin)

If you had previously made my changes and saved those files as I originally suggested, then you could tweak them (only a few changes) and use then to copy over the HP 3.0.5 files ---JUST BE SURE TO SAVE THE HP VERSIONS for fail safe.

Once 3.0.5 is installed, no need to keep any of your 3.0.5 files, that's why it is OK to uss them as the base for the tweaks.

Hope this helps!
    Dave
    When 3.0.5 installed, it brought over the official HP versions of the files - so it wiped out your (our) changed files from 3.0.4 -- that's why I gave the instructions as noted earlier.
    (No need to get rid of your earlier changes HP does so. Grin)

If you had previously made my changes and saved those files as I originally suggested, then you could tweak them (only a few changes) and use then to copy over the HP 3.0.5 files ---JUST BE SURE TO SAVE THE HP VERSIONS for fail safe.

Once 3.0.5 is installed, no need to keep any of your 3.0.5 files, that's why it is OK to uss them as the base for the tweaks.

Hope this helps!
    Got it. Yes, I did exactly as you said by saving the ORIGINAL files then tweaked them with YOUR wonderfully done changes (which still amazes me to this day). I just love having more of my most used app icons below the launcher. Not nice HP/3.05 wipes 'em out.

So far I haven't updated to 3.05 - too many little bugs which I may not know how to kill/fix
    so I'll wait for developers to catch up.

In the meantime I've learned from other great members like yourself, how to get my dvd movies onto the Touchpad. I'm coming along slowly but surely

Thanks for the help. As always - I appreciate it.
    yea i would have kept it at normal settings if I didn't have a ridiculous amount of apps and games and didn't want to add more tabs and clutter the tab bar
    I like more tabs. I need about 10
    To all that have contributed in this thread... THANKS!!!
    I fined-tuned these tweaks more to my liking.
    I only wanted 9x6 (no +) to display (I think it looks cleaner) and IF there's 54 icons already shown, I know that dragging-up will reveal if there's more below.
    Basically, I started with the settings silverbackdave used from his last post and went from there.
    The attached pic is my final result and from silverbackdave's last settings, I only changed the 3 values below:

launcher_icon_geom_settings.conf
    [Main]
    MainIconVerticalOffsetFromGeomOriginPx=-16

launcher_icon_layoutsettings.conf
    [ReorderableLayout]
    FixedIconCellHeight=104

layoutSettings.conf
    [QuickLaunch]
    quickLaunchBarLauncherAccessButtonVerticalOffsetPx=2

So far I haven't updated to 3.05 - too many little bugs which I may not know how to kill/fix so I'll wait for developers to catch up.
    You are welcome - I just built on what the others had done - tio make it fit my needs.

NOTE: BE CAREFUL! i TRIED THE WAITING TACTIC ON 3.0.4 - THE UPDATE DOWNLOADED AND i SAID TO DO IT LATER AND THEN A FEW DAYS LATER - IT DID IT ANYWAYS! NOT SURE IF i DID SOMETHING TO CAUSE THAT - BUT THAT WAS THE RESULT
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    I like more tabs. I need about 10
    I wanted more, too - but no can do, so .....

I used the approach of having 2 categories on some of my pages

- the main use was set up with the icons located in "normal" positioning - starting at the top left
    - the secondary use started positioning the icons from the bottom right (reverse order)

I also stuck in some "fake app" icons at the end of the first group - all the same distinctive look to act as an "end of grouping" maker - used Shortcut Launcher and a bright yellow icon labelled Start/End.

(I had started using the split approach when I discovered I could not make TP place new downloads anywhere other than at the end the second tab - so I put a marker icon at the end of my normal icons on that tab - to clearly indicate where new downloads began and as a reminder to put then new ones in their proper place.)

With this approach and multiple screens in a tab, a quick flick gets me to the bottom and thus the beginning of the second group. I also label the tab accordingly for the 2 uses.
    Dave
    You are welcome - I just built on what the others had done - tio make it fit my needs.

NOTE: BE CAREFUL! i TRIED THE WAITING TACTIC ON 3.0.4 - THE UPDATE DOWNLOADED AND i SAID TO DO IT LATER AND THEN A FEW DAYS LATER - IT DID IT ANYWAYS! NOT SURE IF i DID SOMETHING TO CAUSE THAT - BUT THAT WAS THE RESULT
    I don't get it. By that I mean, my TP isn't updating because I've also pressed "do it later".
    In fact, I've got my wi-fi on all the time, have even turned the TP off (since 3.05 came out) turned it on, and still am able to press "do it later". Don't know why but that's exactly how it happened for me when 3.04 came out - I waited for quite a while and it never updated on its own. Hmmm. No, I didn't disable the auto update feed and wouldn't do so because with my skill/luck I'd disable TPs all over the world!

If by chance it does auto update, guess I'll hang in there till everything gets fixed. Not much else I could do, right?

Thanks again - always appreciative!
    silverbackdave:

I did the tweaks to the files as you outlined (keeping original files) for 3.05, etc. However, when everything was done and I went back to see it, I noticed some of my icons with longer names were somewhat cut off at the bottom. I checked and double checked for typos in my changed files but everything looked correct.

What could be the problem and can I change a number value to fix this?

Thanks in advance for the help and always appreciate it.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast