1.    #1  
    Attn: webOS Internals, sconix, Jason, Garrett92C and other patch wizards...

I am really missing gestures on my new TouchPad. It was one of the best things about webOS 1.x - 2.x. What a shame they have disappeared on the TouchPad.

Recently Garrett92C came up with a patch for the browser that adds a gesture for bringing up a menu -- a swipe from the bezel to the screen. This got me thinking about about some kind of global gestures that could be OS-wide that would bring back our beloved gestures.

Suggestion...

Horizontal swipes in from the lower third of the right and left bezels --> "back" and "forward" gestures respectively.

Horizontal swipes in from the middle third of the right and left bezels --> "next" and "previous app", ala Advanced Gestures in 2.x.

Anyone want to comment? I am not even sure if this is possible. There must have been some event tied to each gesture in 2.x. Do those events exist in 3.x? If not, could we implement them as global events and plead with developers to use them? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ubuntite; 09/19/2011 at 10:33 PM.
    This would be huge. Also, a patch to just type from the bottom of the screen or to call up the keyboard. The lack of advanced gestures between apps really blows multitasking, slows it down big time.
    Great ideas Ubuntite. If it is possible maybe it would be better to have it split into halves instead. So you aren't worrying about if you're in the right 1/3rd of the screen to swipe in from. Then it will be either the top half or the bottom half of the screen but with the same setup as you mentioned.

Horizontal swipes in from the lower HALF of the right and left bezels --> "back" and "forward" gestures respectively.

Horizontal swipes in from the upper HALF of the right and left bezels --> "next" and "previous app", ala Advanced Gestures in 2.x.

**The only part I would change would be to move the advanced gestures to the bottom half to make is easier to access.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    great ideas ubuntite. If it is possible maybe it would to have it split into halves instead. So you aren't worrying about if you're in the right 1/3rd of the screen to swipe. It will be either the top half or the bottom half but with the same setup as you mentioned.

Horizontal swipes in from the lower HALF of the right and left bezels --> "back" and "forward" gestures respectively.

Horizontal swipes in from the upper HALF of the right and left bezels --> "next" and "previous app", ala Advanced Gestures in 2.x.
    That would work as well.

I purposely chose the lower third and the middle third, because I was thinking it would be cool if developers could use the upper third of the bezel for app-specific gestures.

For instance, Garrett92C created a patch for the browser to popup a menu of commonly called actions from a swipe from the bezel. Right now that works anywhere along either the right or left bezel. With this new proposal, his patch could still exist, but would be restricted to the upper third of the bezel.

So to summarize:

Lower 1/3 --> Back & Forward
    Middle 1/3 --> Next & Previous App
    Upper 1/3 --> App-specific (i.e. flyout menus, etc.)

What do you think of that?
    As requested I'm just popping into this thread to comment due to the patch I created being somewhat similar in scope.:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-touchpad.html

First of all, it's one thing to do this for one app but an entirely different beast to do it globally for the whole OS. It may not even be possible, not all system files in webOS are editable javascript anymore, some bits are now compiled. We can't overlay something on top of the whole OS UI. That's going to require directly editing Luna. If I'm wrong about this, please point to the files where I can make something like this patch request happen.

I think you're better off requesting similar functionality on a per app basis.
  6.    #6  
    bump... Any new thoughts on this now that webOS will be open source?
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    FYI They've made a toggle keyboard patch.
    <thread moved>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    As Nightburn wrote, it's not possible. The gestures are hard-coded into LunaSysMgr since webOS 1.0. Only the release of the LunaSysMgr code somewhere at the end of July will make it possible.
    TouchPad Virtual Keyboard Patches
    webOS Scrollbars

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?