Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Political Season
  1.    #1  
    Update: I've consolidated this bounty with my other bounties into an official bounty thread

Support the bounty hunt for a TP bluetooth txt messaging solution

I want a patch/app solution to enable txt messaging on the TP via bluetooth tether to 1.4.5 device (Pre-). Lots of other people do too. If we put enough money on the table, someone will figure it out.

So I'm putting out a bounty on the head of that particular solution. The bigger our bounty gets, the faster someone will figure it out to claim it.

If you've read my How the community can save Webos post, then you will be familiar with my strategy to preserve Webos viability through userbase activism while we wait for a hardware refresh option to emerge. One weapon in our arsenal: app/patch or solution bounties. We've got to go beyond "port petitions" to get the apps and patches we want. As a community, if we want developers to get busy, we have to supply the same financial incentive that other platforms do. HP has cocked up our ecosystem market, so we have to be creative.

The reality is that if we do nothing, we'll get nothing. So join me in this effort. Because if we get this bounty up to several hundred or even thousands of dollars, somebody is going to figure out a fix. Then we turn around and replicate the approach for other apps/patches and solutions we need. Userbase gets what it needs, developers aren't working for free, Webos gets better, and maybe, just maybe, the scales get tipped a little more in favor of somebody bringing webos devices back to the market. No downside to trying. Spread the word far and wide and join this bounty hunt now
    Last edited by Political Season; 09/19/2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Update
    dadueler likes this.
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    We need it on devices running 2.1, also.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    We need it on devices running 2.1, also.
    Pledge some money towards the bounty and make it grow. We get that bounty up, we will get a solution. Suggested pledge is at least $2. I pledged $5. You only have to make good on the pledge if we get a solution.
    One can extract using webOS internal meta-doctor the following blue tooth resources, com.palm.app.bluetooth, com.palm.service.bluetooth.spp, pmbtcontacts, pmbtengine, pmbtos, pmbtstack, pmbtstartup... Once the tar is created one can like flash copy it over and dump all files to root...
    under device info looking at supported profiles map will be seen, but it won't work...

I figured out one can extract all, and copy just pmbtstack and see map in device info, but it still does not work...

assuming the Bluetooth chip is not the same as pre/pre+/pre2...

if you do not know how to extract using meta doctor script....
    $make VERSION=2.2.0 DEVICE=pre3 CARRIER=wr \ EXTRA_ROOTFS_IPKGS="com.palm.app.bluetooth com.palm.service.bluetooth.spp pmbtcontacts pmbtengine pmbtos pmbtstack pmbtstartup" \
    EXTRA_ROOTFS_TARBALL=bt.tar extract-rootfs-ipkgs || exit

maybe someone else has ideas
    Last edited by John Steffes; 09/19/2011 at 05:18 PM.
    been wanting this tor a while, but I'll pay after its on my touchpad. I'm not giving my credit card info to some website to just hang on to.
  6. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Season View Post
    Pledge some money towards the bounty and make it grow. We get that bounty up, we will get a solution. Suggested pledge is at least $2. I pledged $5. You only have to make good on the pledge if we get a solution.
    I'm no stranger to the bounty system Check some of my posts.

That being said, if someone can port the necessary Bluetooth profile to enable text messaging from TouchPad to a phone running 2.1, I'll throw in $30.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wbussing View Post
    been wanting this tor a while, but I'll pay after its on my touchpad. I'm not giving my credit card info to some website to just hang on to.
    I understand the reluctance, that's a totally reasonable position of caution. I'll say two things in response:

1. I have personally used the thepoint.com to successfully raise money in the past (scholarship drive). I raised a tad over $2,500. Money was collected and delivered as it was supposed to be. Not a single hitch. I was able to raise that money in less than 30 days from alumni scattered all over the country. Any other method would have taken me far longer if it had been successful at all. So using the thepoint.com is a safe, functional, effective way to conduct an app bounty hunt based on my experience. To my knowledge, they have had no issues with the security of their credit card processing system.

2. There are many posts for app bounties in the forum. They are generally not effective because they are not backed up by any cash commitment that is reliable or which could easily be aggregated with others to raise real bounties that can be collected if the objective is met. Thepoint.com method provides the ability to do that. You will not get this solution on your touchpad because there is not enough incentive in our ecosystem for a developer to make the effort. The return on investment is too uncertain, to use HP's language. Because HP has cocked up our ecosystem with uncertainty, direct user to developer financial incentives are one mechanism which we have available to create that functional market based incentive.

Its not enough for us to make uncollectable pledges here in the forums. Everyone who might support it isn't here, the thousands of new TP owners are not here. If we are going to raise effective bounties, we need a system that can cheaply, easily aggregate bounty contributions from far and wide, then collect and pay them.

This is an effective way to conduct a functional app/patch bounty effort. No one has to make good on their pledge unless the objective is met and small pledges from enough people can add up quickly.

There is a lot of negativity in the community and rightly so because of how this Webos drama is playing out. Some of it comes because people feel there is little to nothing they can do. Our options as a user community are limited and constrained, its true. But there are some things we can do together, using the web as a force multiplier to increase our impact. This is one of them. And if enough of us come together, we might just be able to do enough to tip the scales in favor of Webos' continued viability as a platform and lure a player to the table who will make Webos devices.

So, I hope you will reconsider and participate and urge others to do the same. If we do nothing, we will get nothing.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I'm no stranger to the bounty system Check some of my posts.

That being said, if someone can port the necessary Bluetooth profile to enable text messaging from TouchPad to a phone running 2.1, I'll throw in $30.
    You are indeed no stranger to the bounty system, so I imagine you see my point that app bounties as done here in the forum really have very limited effectiveness. To really make them large and become an incentive for a developer to figure out a patch or build an app, we need to back them up with pledges that are clearly collectible. So I hope you will make a pledge to the app bounty for this solution.
    If you want to pledge, but don't want to put your cc out there. Simply use a pre-paid card that way if it is compromised your identity and accounts remain safe. You are only out the balance of the card.
  10. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Season View Post
    You are indeed no stranger to the bounty system, so I imagine you see my point that app bounties as done here in the forum really have very limited effectiveness. To really make them large and become an incentive for a developer to figure out a patch or build an app, we need to back them up with pledges that are clearly collectible. So I hope you will make a pledge to the app bounty for this solution.
    I like the idea of the "official" bounty, but I don't have a 1.4.5 device. I have a 2.1. Looks like you've set up the site for getting it working on 1.4.5. While it may translate to (be the same solution as) getting it working on 2.1, I'm hesitant to pledge money to a cause that may yield no results for me.