Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By Datkstaw
  • 1 Post By toaste
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

We all know how the smart cover from Apple is great : "The Smart Cover makes iPad do things no other cover can. Close it, and iPad automatically goes to sleep. Open it, and iPad instantly wakes up no need to press any buttons."

I've just received my Hp case from Ebay and i'm missing this feature.

Actually, i think we can make something like that for the HP Touchpad, for any case. We could just use the light sensor instead of magnet. With my basics programming skills i would say something like :

if light<10 ( let's say on a scale of a 100 ) delay<100 (more than 10 sec) Then
    Lock Device

I think we can't do it to unlock the device cause it would mean that the light sensor would always be scanning.

Thanks for reading !
    There's no point doing this since the TouchPad will lock automatically anyway after x number of minutes of no use.
    I think it would be very helpful if exhibition would turn off while on the stand & the cover was over the screen. Or I could just hit the power button, too.
    lukeaddison likes this.
    It's a great idea
    It's so annoying to enter in exibition mode on the touchstone when the cover is on the TP
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    There's no point doing this since the TouchPad will lock automatically anyway after x number of minutes of no use.
    But would you let the screen on 5min, of coirse we could set it to 2min but it's obvously not enough...

That'd be so much better just closing the cover ...
    I feel like Mode Switcher could do this... Is it out for the TP yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    I feel like Mode Switcher could do this... Is it out for the TP yet?
    I do not believe so.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

so you wouldn't be able to use your touchpad in the dark?
    I'm not sure if there is program access to the light sensor or not. If there is, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. It might be sensitive enough that this might work, and still allow it to be used in dark rooms, due to it's own light. Have it automatically shut down the auto-lock until light is restored, if the user unlocks the device while the program thinks it should be auto-locked.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Datkstaw View Post
    But would you let the screen on 5min, of coirse we could set it to 2min but it's obvously not enough...

That'd be so much better just closing the cover ...

might have better luck asking for some kind of mod to adjust the time from say 2 minutes to 30 seconds or something
    I'd be happy if there was a swipe button or something on the screen to just shut the TouchPad down instead of having to press in the Silver Button. I think that's so annoying and outdated.
  12.    #12  
    Yeh, both are good ideas ? Anyone could develop it maybe ?
    It doesn't look like programs have access to change the display status, only query it. *I'd guess that it'd have to be a homebrew

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I'm not sure if there is program access to the light sensor or not. If there is, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. It might be sensitive enough that this might work, and still allow it to be used in dark rooms, due to it's own light. Have it automatically shut down the auto-lock until light is restored, if the user unlocks the device while the program thinks it should be auto-locked.

i thought about this too, but isnt the ambient light sensor on the side? or are there two light sensors?
    Someone out there must know how to modify the correct file to get this to work, i found the powerd.conf files which controls when the touchpad is suspended but I didn't know what to put in there. Someone help us lazy people who don't want to press buttons
    If your screen turns on in exhibition mode that might be because you don't have it on the touchstone properly, sometimes if it is slightly of center, it comes up with the charging battery message frequently and lights the screen up
    Touchpad 16GB 3.0.5
    Pre 2 2.2.4
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjagrrl View Post
    Even when I hit the power button to turn the screen off during exhibition, 50% of the time my screen turns back on all on its own. Not sure this patch would fix this.
    some types of notifications wake the device... having a problem with this on my Pre2. Need to mess around in mode switcher.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...