Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mikepd
  • 1 Post By jmleese
  1.    #1  
    Is there a patch to lock movement on web pages to vertical scrolling only? It's sort of annoying to get the free side to side movement on pages since they generally fit to the screen horizontally.

If there is no patch, is it possible to do this?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    There have been several threads floating around about this with no real answer... I'd really, really love to see a patch for this.
    HP Touchpad 16GB - webOS 3.0.4 - UberKernel
    Palm Pre (Sprint) - webOS 1.4.5 - UberKernel retired
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    yeah a patch would be nice but I know it wasnt there by default bcus of an iOS patent
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    yeah a patch would be nice but I know it wasnt there by default bcus of an iOS patent
    I read that in another thread and I can't believe patents can alter this kind of behavior. So crazy.
    HP Touchpad 16GB - webOS 3.0.4 - UberKernel
    Palm Pre (Sprint) - webOS 1.4.5 - UberKernel retired
    I'd love to see a patch for this!
    mistermojorizin likes this.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    superbump!
    Not just horizontal but any panning movement would be great. It would be really cool to have the ability to lock both the keyboard from showing up or the screen from panning.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    When I was browsing web, if the page is already zoomed out, drag on screen will cause the whole page moving around, I felt it very annoying. What's the point for this effect? Can it be disabled?

I searched forum for this before I post, but I'm not quite sure the name of this effect.
    <thread merged>
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detection View Post
    I read that in another thread and I can't believe patents can alter this kind of behavior. So crazy.
    Here's a good the explanation from an engadget story:

Here's the thing, though -- patent #7,479,949, entitled "Touch screen device, method, and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics" that you might have seen touted around the web as Apple's "key multitouch patent"? It's really not, at least anymore. Patents become narrower in scope as they go through the approval process, and although we teasingly referred to it as "the iPhone patent" when it was initially filed, it now only covers touch devices that have a very specific interface feature: sensing whether or not you want to just scroll up and down in one dimension or pan around in two dimensions based on the angle you initially move your finger relative to the screen. It's way easier to explain this in a video:
    Take a look at the first video here
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    something like a triple tap or 3 finger tap to lock horizontal scrolling would be awesome !
    heck even just adding it to the menu right under the rotation lock would make sense...
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thanks for merging the thread.

But what I said is not quite the same with the ios patent. From my understanding, the ios patent apply to this situation:
    1. you double click to zoom in on a column in page
    2. then your scroll action will not change the lock on the column, the device will filter the not 100% precise finger movement.

This is a nice feature, but the thing I got mostly annoyed is
    1. the whole page is fitted, there is no zoom in, since we are using touchpad, it have enough space especially in landscape mode.
    2. then the scroll action still move the page in horizontal direction, which doesn't make any sense, because there is nothing in that direction!

So the key point here is not to guess which direction user want to scroll, but there is nothing to scroll in horizontal direction. A "lock page in direction that cannot move" feature/option will do, and this have nothing to do with the ios patent.

Quote Originally Posted by dracodoc View Post
    When I was browsing web, if the page is already zoomed out, drag on screen will cause the whole page moving around, I felt it very annoying. What's the point for this effect? Can it be disabled?

I searched forum for this before I post, but I'm not quite sure the name of this effect.
    Bump
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    This is my biggest problem with webOS vs iOS. It can really be pretty annoying.
    i hope theres a fix for this cuz it gets pretty annoying fast.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I found this when I was looking for a fix:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/a.../scroller.html
    Can somebody smarter than me figure out what this means?
    The browser is written using Enyo, not Mojo.

There is no easy fix since the browser control is native code.
    It is possible to write a browser that doesn't use the native WebView control, however, I don't think I'd want to be the person in charge of doing that. *I did just build a little test, though, that loads up a bunch of pages on a specific site into a Carousel style controller, and I was surprised at how well it worked, once I hand tuned a little bit of it to not interfere with the carousel control itself.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    It is possible to write a browser that doesn't use the native WebView control, however, I don't think I'd want to be the person in charge of doing that. *I did just build a little test, though, that loads up a bunch of pages on a specific site into a Carousel style controller, and I was surprised at how well it worked, once I hand tuned a little bit of it to not interfere with the carousel control itself.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Hey e' where would I find all the properties of the Enyo Webview widget?