Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    I was pretty annoyed to find out bluetooth PAN/DUN profiles are missing on the touchpad for non-webos devices like android smartphones.
    I wonder if there could be a way to add those maybe by porting them from older webos versions.
    I am well aware there are a few threads existing on that topic, but none of those was tagged with the appropriate tags to make them show up in the concerned app forum sections.

Currently, the most advanced one seems to be *this* one, though all they did was pairing the TP and several non-webos phones via a glitch using freetether.

I was wondering if there is a better way. Does anybody know what bluetooth implementation is webos using? I'll plunge into the dev terminal it as soon as i get my touchpad.

Any help is warmly appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Ndscham
    I've been looking into this a little myself as well. As its one of the major reasons I bought a tablet only to find out later webos doesn't properly support tethering over bluetooth.

From what I've gathered so far part of the problem is the TP/WebOS uses a proprietary and stripped down Bluetooth engine vs the standard one that most other Linux based devices use known as BlueZ.

The question is rather or not support for Bluetooth PAN/Dun profiles can be added to the Palm Bluetooth engine(PmBT)? also can it easily be added to the startup scripts for the Bluetooth engine or does it require a lot more working involving custom drivers or a kernel recompile?
    Forgot to add as of right now I couldn't find a way to access bt from the terminal. There's no tools like btconfig, etc avail or even from PmBT that I'm aware of.

Not good considering the first thing we would need to get this working is a way to check for bluetooth devices, pair them with the touchpad, and lastly get networking working from within the terminal.
    I would LOVE this as well.... this seems to be a reoccuring wish (see HP Touchpad forum sticky "First non-webOS phone to be fully tetherd with HP TouchPad " ) there are several other posts on this as well in that forum. Some phone features seem to work based on what model phone you have. However, most folks would like a PAN/DUN profile........ come on freetether devs!!!!!
    Yeah hopefully they will be able to figure out some way to get it working. Although I'd personally prefer to get it working in a more native method through either a patch to the palm bluetooth engine or getting bluez(the standard linux bluetooth engine) under webos 3.0

Btw I looked into sort of a temp work around solution through ubuntu chroot not realizing that it wouldn't work work either as it relies on the host OS(webos) for its devices. The Bluetooth device doesn't show up at all in Ubuntu after installing bluez on it.

My thinking was with Ubuntu is I could get it working under ubuntu then NAT data through it locally on the TP. Of course this would have require running in in a card all the time.

Looks like I'm back to zero now :/
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 09/18/2011 at 03:47 PM.
    Well some good news apparently cyanogen recently figured out how to get Bluetooth working under Android which as far as I'm aware uses the standard linux Bluetooth engine instead of Palm striped down proprietary one on WebOS. Might be a step towards figuring out how to replace it on WebOS as well with the standard one.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    Well some good news apparently cyanogen recently figured out how to get Bluetooth working under Android which as far as I'm aware uses the standard linux Bluetooth engine instead of Palm striped down proprietary one on WebOS. Might be a step towards figuring out how to replace it on WebOS as well with the standard one.
    Bluetooth GPS support would be cool too!
    Pretty sure that bluetooth GPS is supported, at least, there's an App for That.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    What app is that?????? Ive been digging around and i cant find it.

I would also love to have an open bluetooth driver, for more options pairing.
    Quote Originally Posted by lurch View Post
    What app is that?????? Ive been digging around and i cant find it.

I would also love to have an open bluetooth driver, for more options pairing.
    http://www.precentral.net/update-map...-wifi-touchpad
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I did find "Bluetooth GPS" in the itunes app store. So im going to try that with the map tool pro app and see what happens.
    any luck with this?
    Nope no dice. Spent a few dollars on the apps and no luck.
    No expert here by any means, but I thought replacing the bt stack required a recompile from source....Which we don't have. Someone please prove me wrong.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Not exactly. MapToolsPro added BT GPS support to its own Mojo app, but there is not *yet* a service within Enyo that will connect all location-aware apps to Bluetooth GPS devices. Or rather, the TouchPad will connect via the Bluetooth Serial Port profile, but the apps don't receive the standard data flow coming as if it were an internal GPS or Google Location, so they can't use it. I have suggested that as a future webOS dev hackathon project, and I'm hopeful that it will happen one way or the other very soon. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    I wanted to tether my TP to my iPhone 3Gs via bluetooth and after much searching around, this thread is the closest I could find to answer my question. I simply wanted to connect to the web with my TouchPad using my iPhone's bluetooth connection. I'm posting this through my PC which is connected to the web through my iPhone 3Gs with one lovely bar (October blizzard took out my internet connection and it's still out).

The only option I've seen so far is to jailbreak my iPhone and use MyWi - I'm not going to jailbreak my iPhone. It seems ridiculous to me that the TP can't be tethered via BT, since I'm using this PC to connect.

So, as I understand it - it does not work, but the good folks at Homebrew are looking into it? Ah well - I guess just +1 to an interested party.
    Ordered 16GB TouchPad on 8/21/11@1135, HPO#30563xxx, WO#4408xxx
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    +1 also for BT DUN or PAN. The touchpad has little use outside the house without being able to tether BT (wifi destroys the phones battery)
    yeah this is must have for the TP. I believe it is the only tablet device and mobile platform on the market that doesn't have the BT DUN capabilities.

with that said I wonder if we could be a step closer to get it to work since the 3.0.4 update now allows pairing with any device. Haven't had time to play around yet at the shell level(novaterm, xterm, etc) to see if its now possible to manually get it working.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hi..
    I Dont Know whether, place for the following question is appropiate in this topic, as it is related to BT thought I may get some answer.
    How to connect TP with VEER and a Bluetooth headset so that the calls can be answered easily.As of now, only one could be connected any point.

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast