Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mdgtouch View Post
    I followed your instructions, and the only change I had to make was to set the printer to share on the computer. Usually you would not have to do this, because there is no need to share wireless printers.
    Its surprising that this was necessary since Windows isn't sharing your printer. The program is doing the printing from the PC, printing a file it just so happens to have received from your Touchpad. Windows isn't really sharing the printer as far as it knows.

I wonder if your firewall wasn't properly configured to allow SNMP requests. I suspect enabling sharing opened the firewall up for that.
    Well I'm not sure but am I allowed to change the code and post it back here? I.e. I fixed the problem with the window which stays open + I made the path configurable + I'm cleaning the output directory + more ... It is just that I don't see any license information anywhere ...
    This is great news. I don't have a wireless printer right now, but I wanted one from epson or canon because they use individual ink tanks.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    This works great from the touchpad.

I thought it might also solve a problem with my laptop. (The laptop runs Windows 7 64bit, and the computer with the printer on runs XP. This particular combination just doesn't work with the lexmark printer drivers). Unfortunately, this daemon emulates an HP printer well enough for the touchpad, but the HP network printer wizard doesn't recognise it, even when you put in the IP address :-(

Oh well.
    Re: smaller than normal pages: Try opening a pdf in acrobat and printing at least one page, changing the scaling options to none. Then close the pdf and leave acrobat open.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Any printer? The point of this is to print from your TouchPad to any (non-wireless) printer which is attached to your network connected PC.
    Ohhh, okay! I misunderstood. From what I can tell all wifi printers work out of the box.

But if this for any *network* printer, good show!
    Had not much time but I guess this is still an improvement over the original version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20939197/CBo...emon_1_0_1.zip

+ Source:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20939197/CBo..._1_0_1_src.zip

Please note that you no longer require to provide an argument for the .exe-file but must change the corresponding values in the new config file (CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe.config).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
    <appSettings>
    <add key="AdobeReaderPath" value="c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"/>
    <add key="PrintJobTimeOutInSeconds" value="120"/>
    </appSettings>
    </configuration>

The setting with the key "AdobeReaderPath" must contain the whole Path (including the AcroRd32.exe-file). The second setting is the timeout in case the print job cannot be completed. After this timeout the AdobeReader-application will be terminated.

Haven't had much time and only spend about an hour on it. I do think a nice notification tray application would be great - still haven't tried out a local service but that's on my todo list.
    Would be great to have that little project on Sourceforge or github - so we could use tools like git, svn or whatever.

Btw. I'm monitoring the PrinterQueue for changes to determine when to close the main Adobe Reader window. Should work alright and did work with all my tested documents and printers.

Todos:
    - make the printer configurable in the config file (default = empty) -> almost done
    - have the program in the notification area - preferable as a local service with monitoring app but this is not as easy as it sounds
    - would be great to reduce dependencies of Adobe Reader / PCL6.exe
    - alternatively: have seperate PDF printing engines, configurable in the config file (with parameters etc.)
    - have a proper license
    - rename the project to a shorter name like TouchPrint for Windows i.e.

As a side note - porting to linux etc. shouldn't be that hard - you would need a bit snmp-stuff (not hard) + tools/libraries to convert pcl to pdf (or ps) and then print it (via CUPS?).
    Last edited by McTristan; 09/19/2011 at 01:50 PM.
  8.    #88  
    Sorry I haven't been around to respond to questions/comments in a more timely fashion... I had a lot of things to take care of this weekend and didn't have much time for coding or checking this thread.

I haven't experienced the extra blank page being printed when I was doing tests, but I'll definitely try to reproduce it when I get back into coding the updated version this week.

I started working on the updated version last week, it should provide for the following configuration options:
    * Output printer (with "None" being also available so one can print to PDF without sending the output to a physical printer)
    * PDF Output Directory (useful for "Printing to PDF", and also for installing in the Program Files directory)
    * PDF Reader Path (to allow for alternative PDF reading software)
    * PDF Reader Arguments

In addition, it will be a GUI application, so the command line interface will be going away. If anyone has additional suggestions, please let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    * Output printer (with "None" being also available so one can print to PDF without sending the output to a physical printer)
    * PDF Output Directory (useful for "Printing to PDF", and also for installing in the Program Files directory)
    AWESOME. I often print to PDF. Thanks!
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by McTristan View Post
    Had not much time but I guess this is still an improvement over the original version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20939197/CBo...emon_1_0_1.zip

+ Source:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20939197/CBo..._1_0_1_src.zip

Please note that you no longer require to provide an argument for the .exe-file but must change the corresponding values in the new config file (CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe.config).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>
    <appSettings>
    <add key="AdobeReaderPath" value="c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"/>
    <add key="PrintJobTimeOutInSeconds" value="120"/>
    </appSettings>
    </configuration>

The setting with the key "AdobeReaderPath" must contain the whole Path (including the AcroRd32.exe-file). The second setting is the timeout in case the print job cannot be completed. After this timeout the AdobeReader-application will be terminated.

Haven't had much time and only spend about an hour on it. I do think a nice notification tray application would be great - still haven't tried out a local service but that's on my todo list.
    Would be great to have that little project on Sourceforge or github - so we could use tools like git, svn or whatever.

Btw. I'm monitoring the PrinterQueue for changes to determine when to close the main Adobe Reader window. Should work alright and did work with all my tested documents and printers.

Todos:
    - make the printer configurable in the config file (default = empty) -> almost done
    - have the program in the notification area - preferable as a local service with monitoring app but this is not as easy as it sounds
    - would be great to reduce dependencies of Adobe Reader / PCL6.exe
    - alternatively: have seperate PDF printing engines, configurable in the config file (with parameters etc.)
    - have a proper license
    - rename the project to a shorter name like TouchPrint for Windows i.e.

As a side note - porting to linux etc. shouldn't be that hard - you would need a bit snmp-stuff (not hard) + tools/libraries to convert pcl to pdf (or ps) and then print it (via CUPS?).
    I'm really excited you're interested in developing this program, hopefully we'll be able to add new features and fix bugs much faster with two of us working on it.

I really like the idea of monitoring the print spooler for job completion, it sounds a lot cleaner than having PDF files not being cleaned up and Adobe Reader windows remaining open. I did some research into using DDE to command Adobe Reader to print a document and close, but it sounds unreliable in that Adobe appears to change Adobe Reader's DDE server name on a whim: Adobe Forums: Reader X: DDE Open command can open Reader but not open a specified target PDF

As for licensing, I was leaning towards GPLv3, but I'm open to suggestions. I'll look into getting some sort of public source control available for the project tomorrow night and that should make it easier for everybody to contribute changes.

As for the name, I was thinking of changing it to "Touch2Pc Printer".

I think you're right about making something similar to this program work on Linux (heck, even the TouchPad itself!) wouldn't be too complicated. If someone finds a decent SNMP C library (that can be easily cross-compiled for ARM) and ARM ports of GhostPCL, one could feasibly create an on-device PDF printer for the TouchPad.
    I've created a github repository and checked in the sourcecode + created some issues.

The Repository is accessable under:

https://github.com/McTristan/Touch2P...er-for-Windows

There are also instructions how to setup git for windows - it seems complicated first, but once you have it set up you can safely switch to TortoiseGit which is much more comfortable.

Hope this helps somehow ...
    NEW VERSION:

https://github.com/downloads/McTrist...nter_1_0_2.zip

The program is now called Touch2Pc Printer for Windows and has some new features:
    - a printer can now be defined in the App.Config file - leave the config-field "PrinterName" empty if you want to output to the system default printer - the printer name should be exactly written as it is defined in Windows with all spaces etc. like "Canon iP4200 on HunnyBunny" - I guess you get the idea

- an output path can now be defined - leave the config-field "OutputPath" empty to have it under the executable directory "\output" - like it has been before

- PDF-only printing can be defined with the "OnlyOutputPDF" parameter - if you set it to true you should also change the "CleanUpFiles" to "false" otherwise your PDF-files will be deleted from time to time which is probably not a good idea

That's it for now ...
    jblather and Bawbee like this.
    Great job, and a very clever approach to finding a workable solution. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Having two problems getting this to work!

1st, when I try to print, I get Exception Occurred while populating the PrintQueue object, Win 32 Error, the Printer name is invalid.

I left the name blank in the config file. I have a working default printer on my PC.

2nd, I could not get the TP to accept the printer until I turned off Windows Firewall. What needs to be approved in firewall to allow me to keep it on?
    I succeeded with my Brother 7400n, but I can't get this to work on another computer that has a USB D4360 printer attached to it.

Can this work with any USB printer?

If so then I guess I set up the IP adress wrong...
    @Huff:
    Strange - have you tried to set the name manually in the config-file? I just looked through the documentation of the PrinterSettings-class and I don't see why it wouldn't return a default printer.

About the ports:
    Port 9100 (TCP) and Port 161 (UDP) must be open and also make sure (if you are connected via WLAN AND LAN) you specify the correct IP-address.

@FredT:
    yes it can work with any printer - I even got it working with shared printers or pure network printers.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiestbml View Post
    This is strange, I never needed any patch or extra software to print to any printer. My Epson Stylus NX420 worked just fine with printing wirelessly.

It worked before 3.0.2 and everything.
    How can that be true? I have an Epson Stylus NX420 myself, and I just tried configuring it directly on my TouchPad and it said "This printer is currently not supported. Please select or add another printer".

You said you had it installed before upgrading to 3.0.2... maybe HP 'fixed' it in 3.0.2 so it wouldn't accidentally work with non-HP printers? Yours still works because you already had it setup before upgrading?

This makes me wonder if a non-supported printer that would otherwise work could be 'hacked' into the printer list, bypassing any model-check?

(yes, I know this has nothing to do with the most clever program theomodsim and mctristan have given us, which works great for me to print to my samsung laser (Thank you!)... I'm just befuddled that I have the same exact printer someone else claims to have working directly with the touchpad no problem, yet it explicitly doesn't work for me)
    This works great for one print job. Then the second and subsequent jobs don't work. The touchpad thinks it was successful, and the cmd window information makes it look successful, but it never prints the second job. I don't see the acroread window open briefly like I do on the first print job. If I close and restart touch2pcprinter it will print one job again and demonstrate the same symptoms.
    Hmm strange ... have to debug it, give me some time. For me it is printing but it takes a lot of time in between two print jobs as the "printing" notification stays open a long time.
    For you the situation seems to be entirely different ... very strange. Let me test a bit.
    Last edited by McTristan; 09/21/2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Wowwwwwwwwwwww, this is just fandabidoubledozi. I don't pretend to know how this works but thanks to theomodsim, McTristan and anyone-else concerned.
    A terrific job. Looking forward to "the posh version"
    Cheers guys.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast