Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
    And this is why the apps stays open:
    Print a PDF file silently:

AcroRd32.exe /N /T PdfFile PrinterName [ PrinterDriver [ PrinterPort ] ]The last command will open a new Adobe Reader window, print the PDF file and then terminate its window unless that window happens to be the only Adobe Reader window left: at least one Adobe Reader window will be left open.
    So then we should be able to 'print' and create a PDF file instead of printing on paper?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I just tried this program and it too ran for my networked Brother MFC-9440CN printer. Great work! I did notice that I am collecting output PDF files for the print jobs. I assume because AcroRd32 is doing the actual printing your program has no knowledge when the print is finish, so your program can not clean up these PDF files.
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Can you try it with /N /T
    I did this manually just now from the command line and the Adobe Reader window (the only one, as none were open when I ran the command) did go away after the document was done printing. Where are these flags documented? I found nothing on their website. Google will turn them up I'm sure.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/15/2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Theomodsim,

Is there any reason not to make the PDF processor and the command line it uses configurable? Putting the command line in an INI file or equivalent would make it easier to support different versions of Acrobat or another PDF processor altogether, not to mention allow someone to change the command line to simply save the PDF or whatever.

Most of us will be happy to simply print with Adobe as is, but making it configurable will allow you to minimize the number of requests you get to support yet another variation. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I did this manually just now from the command line and the Adobe Reader window (the only one, as none were open when I ran the command) did go away after the document was done printing. Where are these flags documented? I found nothing on their website. Google will turn them up I'm sure.
    I'm surprised the window closed. Read my post above stating it wouldn't close if it was the only reader window open. I found that searching through Yahoo which I prefer over Google as I find a lot better info.
    holy crap, this is amazing. I've been literally cursing my non-HP printers since getting a TouchPad (even though in the same breath I'm so mad at HP I'm glad I don't have their products!). I just figured I'd never get to print from my touchpad since hp killed the platform so no other printer vendors would bother trying to support it.

Do you suppose you could create a 'pdf printer' that just creates the .PDF file but doesn't actually print it to a physical printer?
    Would this work with Sumatra or Nitro readers if the text and path is changed? Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    I'm surprised the window closed. Read my post above stating it wouldn't close if it was the only reader window open. I found that searching through Yahoo which I prefer over Google as I find a lot better info.
    I did read it - that's why I thought it was important to post my results. I was surprised it closed too. Hopefully it's not a fluke, like maybe some hidden reader process was still hanging around.

Edit: tried it on a different computer, and the empty reader window did stay open after the file finished printing. Going to take a closer look at that other machine.. :?:

Edit2: Ah ha! I checked this morning, and there was an invisible acrord32.exe process hanging around. I repeated my results, and then I killed the process. The next time I ran the command the empty reader window did not close.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 09/16/2011 at 08:17 AM.
    Thought: is it possible to install Ubuntu CHRoot, and CUPS, and then use a program similar to this (but for linux ) so you could print to your non-hp printer?
    It wouldn't surprise me if you could, but then you'd have to remember to have ubuntu running on your Touchpad to print. I have lots of spare PC's I can use as print servers and not have to worry about it.
    Well, CUPS wouldn't run on my chroot. I didn't investigate further because first I needed it to run on a non-TP ubuntu machine (if you remember I was trying to go the linux way). I might try and make it work on a normal ubuntu machine and then we could try to fit inside the touchpad

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Regarding the hanging around temp files.. I'm sure you are already working on something, but.. I suspect they are locked while the Adobe Reader program is printing them, so if you periodically check the files to see if they are unlocked, they would be safe to delete then. *

Something else interesting that I noticed as I was editing a script to try different flags for Adobe Reader, is that if you leave the reader window open and try to restart your app, it gets a fatal error due to something (the port perhaps) already being in use. *Close the reader window and it starts back up fine.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Theomodsim= Legend FACT
    You can force the app and it's subsequent Acrobat window to run minimized by invoking it via the Start command.

I saved the following at a batch file in my Windows Start menu so that the program autostarts minimized:

Code:
    cd \touchprint_daemon_bin
    start /min CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"
    funb0b likes this.
  16. jrn
    This is really great. Thank you so much!
    theomodsim, Thanks for getting this set up. I am now able to print to my HP 2840 but with a few problems. Before your help the tablet would just print black.

I have tested sending the same PDF document to the printer via the PC and then the TouchPad with different results.

First when sending to the print via the PC the document prints correctly and the correct size.

Printing via the Touchpad the document is slightly smaller and the left 1/4 of the page has the print out faded. Printing a photo there is a line across the photo. This is also occurs at about the 1/4 mark from the left side of the page.

It seems like the printer prefs are not being pulled up.

Anyone else seen this?

PC is windows7.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    *sigh* I love being surrounded by the greatness that is precentral. I have no clue what is going on, but I feel smarter anyhow. Great work!
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Weird. Mine have all been perfect.
    Closing Acrobat after printing - anyone up for a little VBcoding?

Adobe Forums: Hide Acrobat When/After Printing PDF...
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast