Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 380
Like Tree87Likes
  1. stbxxl's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    After the program has received the job, it then uses GhostPCL's pcl6.exe to convert the job to PDF format. After the job has been converted to PDF format, Adobe Reader is then invoked to print the generated PDF file to the default printer.
    Awesome job!

    Is there a way to stop right there? I would be very interested in having a way for printing into a PDF file but not necessarily to a printer. Ideally this created PDF file should then be copied into a different folder such as my local Dropbox folder for instance.
    Pitxitxita and bnordby like this.
  2. #22  
    Thanks, this is nice! Not sure what language you are using, but it's possible you could execute the command in such a way that it will use the registered PDF handler (Normally Acrobat, but there are others) to open the document and print it. Of course, that would require the ability to tailor the command for different applications. Are you willing to share the source for folks interested in porting it to Linux? Edit: Nevermind, I see you DID share the source!
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    At this point patching the Touchpad to print to non-HP printers is *truly* only theoretically possible. It's not practical and likely won't be done because the source code isn't available. Unlike a lot of the apps provided with WebOS, the printing functionality isn't implemented in javascript or another language with source code that's available. Virtually all of the patches available are possible because Palm/HP has provided source and thus it can be interrogated and changed.
    Shouldn't the printing still be in the doctor files? Since to fully restore the TP, you would have to restore the printing function as well.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  4. #24  
    I think the issue is that the print module is not written in javascript, but in C.

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Shouldn't the printing still be in the doctor files? Since to fully restore the TP, you would have to restore the printing function as well.
    Sure, but I don't believe anyone has the source code for it. There's still quite a bit of Palm/HP software that only HP has the source code for, that is not open source and only the binary executables are delivered. Binaries are very difficult and time-consuming to reverse engineer for all but the most simple of hacks. The iphone user agent and hula patches are two uncommon binary patches, and they only perform simply string replacements. Any more sophisticated patch to a binary is unlikely simply because of the inordinate amount of time that a developer has to spend on it with a high risk of failure, and my guess is we'll never see a patch for non-HP printing for that reason.

    This solution is a nice work-around and quite an accomplishment. It's still unpolished but it works, and I'm guessing the polish is something that themodsim is working on now.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Sure, but I don't believe anyone has the source code for it. There's still quite a bit of Palm/HP software that only HP has the source code for, that is not open source and only the binary executables are delivered. Binaries are very difficult and time-consuming to reverse engineer for all but the most simple of hacks. The iphone user agent and hula patches are two uncommon binary patches, and they only perform simply string replacements. Any more sophisticated patch to a binary is unlikely simply because of the inordinate amount of time that a developer has to spend on it with a high risk of failure, and my guess is we'll never see a patch for non-HP printing for that reason.
    That's what I thought you meant, just wanted to clarify. As technically the source code is available, it is just compiled and not easily accessed.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7. #27  
    Thanks for the solution, luckily I already have a Windows Home Server that is already always-on.

    Obviously the better option would be if HP supported known printing standards on the Touchpad for when I'm not at home, but this should work in lieu of that.

    Edit: Also, does this have to be manually run every reboot? I think the best option would be to have it run as a system service, if that's even possible with the way it works.

    Edit2: Just confirmed it worked for me, and it does appear you have to manually run it every time. Another idea that I don't know if it's possible, it would be nice if you could choose which things are supported by your printer. Mine is a black and white/laser printer (Brother HL-2170w) that doesn't support double-sided, so it'd be nice if color defaulted to off (and maybe if those didn't even display). And if it could auto-close Adobe when done, that'd be nice too.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 09/15/2011 at 02:37 PM.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    As technically the source code is available, it is just compiled and not easily accessed.
    Not to beat a dead horse but just to clarify for your sake and others that might get the wrong idea reading your comment, it's not technically available either. Compiled/binary code isn't source code, not in our context. When programmers mention having the source code of a program, they're referring to the source text that is used to generate the binary that the machine executes. The source text doesn't reside somewhere in the binary, it's not accessible in any manner and one can't reverse engineer the binary to get back to the source text. So as to not hijack the thread further, you can PM me and I'll explain in even more excruciating detail if you'd like.
  9. svzi's Avatar
    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    #29  
    Thanks for the source code! I will have a look and try to transfer it to Java. My goal is to get this thing going on Linux with cups!

    Thank you very much for your great work! I really appreciate it!

    Best regards,
    SvenZ
  10. #30  
    I own an old Epson Stylus Photo R320 on a Comcast / Windows XP network. Are there any configuration issues to be concerned with? Great job BTW.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    I own an old Epson Stylus Photo R320 on a Comcast / Windows XP network. Are there any configuration issues to be concerned with? Great job BTW.
    The main thing is making sure you are on the same network, or have port forwarding turned on in your router if not. Also as he said making sure your firewall on your PC if you have it turned on, is set to allow the incoming connections.
  12. #32  
    Just did this on my XP Pro machine and my HP Photosmart C5280. Worked perfect! Thanks!! Only hangup, which you need to add to your first post, is you have to have the .NET framework version 4 installed (ugh )
  13. #33  
    Given that the daemon has to be active on the PC whenever you wish to print from your TouchPad, I find it more convenient to activate it from a desktop icon. The following instructions for Windows XP.

    Modifying theomodsim's setup instructions instructions from the OP

    How do I run it?
    Extract the touchprint_daemon_bin.zip ZIP archive.
    Navigate in Explorer to the directory where you extracted the ZIP file contents to.
    Right click on CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe and 'Send To' > 'Desktop (create shortcut)

    Find the path of AcroRd32.exe on your machine (eg "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe").
    Insert "CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe" "full path for AcroRd32.exe, surrounded by double quotes" as the 'Target' in the properties window.
    eg "C:\Program Files\TouchPrint\CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe" "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" (note: double quotes around both files separately)
    Change the icon to something network printer related and the title to TouchPrint
    Close the properties window.


    You can then run the program by clicking the desktop icon and you are then ready to accept print jobs from the TouchPad.

    If a firewall warning dialog appears, be sure to allow the program access to the network.

    On the TouchPad, open the Printer Settings and manually add a printer. The printer IP address is the IP address of your computer. You can name the printer whatever you want.

    You should now able to send print jobs from your TouchPad!

    Thanks again to theomodsim. This is a great facility for TouchPad!
    Last edited by johncc; 09/15/2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Dis likes this.
  14. #34  
    Awe...some!!! got it working now. It would be nice to have this running in the system tray hidden away somewhere but this works great!
  15.    #35  
    Thanks to everybody for the support and feedback. I'll be working on improving the program over the next week or so. I'm thinking that the program will eventually be a GUI application that can be minimized to the system tray.

    I'm hoping to find a solution for the Adobe Reader window remaining open after printer, but I still haven't found a good one yet. The program calls AcroRd32.exe with the "/t" switch (print silently), but Adobe Reader doesn't exit after printing. I've looked around for command line switches to close Adobe Reader after printing, but I haven't found anything. I'll mess around with using DDE instead to command Adobe Reader to print the file, hopefully then it will close after printing.

    As for Mac and Linux support, I'll try not to use newer features of the .NET framework so someone hopefully can get it to run on Mono with minimal modification. If anyone is trying to port the program and encounters problems, please let me know.

    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    This really is awesome... thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us. I just printed my first doc from the Touchpad to a Canon printer. Woohoo! I did encounter a problem though.

    The program attempts to write to an "output" subdirectory underneath it's installation folder. If that folder is within a Program Files subdirectory though it'll fail on Windows 7 - programs can no longer write to the Program Files directory or sub-directories. Simple to work-around by just installing it elsewhere but it would be better if the program wrote it's output to the %TEMP% folder or perhaps %APPDATA%, then it would work regardless.

    Thanks again though... this is gonna end up on the front page of PreCentral soon I'm sure.
    I'll definitely get the "output" directory moved to a more appropriate (limited user-friendly) place. I'm thinking to make it a user-configurable location so that users who want to print to PDF only can set the path (perhaps to a Dropbox folder, etc.)

    Quote Originally Posted by dentz View Post
    Will this work with a wireless printer?
    The program works with any printer that you can print to from Windows. If you can print a PDF file in Windows to your printer, then your printer is supported by this program.

    Quote Originally Posted by wilburjoe View Post
    Will this work on a Mac?
    I think it could work with some modification, specifically running the program under Mono and getting a OS X binary for pcl6.exe. I don't have a Mac though, so I'm not sure about this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeron View Post
    Great! Thanks for this!

    One question, though.... any chance you could support Foxit reader for printing? Adobe is such a resource hogging sack of crap that I don't want to switch unless I have to...
    Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that your PDF program will not display a dialog box or do anything that would interrupt the printing process, so it's pretty much impossible to support the myriad list of PDF programs available for Windows. So I settled on Adobe Reader, since it seems to be the most popular.

    If you can find a website with command line switches to silently print a PDF with Foxit reader, I'll gladly build a custom .exe for you to support Foxit.

    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    Awesome job!

    Is there a way to stop right there? I would be very interested in having a way for printing into a PDF file but not necessarily to a printer. Ideally this created PDF file should then be copied into a different folder such as my local Dropbox folder for instance.
    I'll definitely keep this in mind when working on this during the next week.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Thanks for the solution, luckily I already have a Windows Home Server that is already always-on.

    Obviously the better option would be if HP supported known printing standards on the Touchpad for when I'm not at home, but this should work in lieu of that.

    Edit: Also, does this have to be manually run every reboot? I think the best option would be to have it run as a system service, if that's even possible with the way it works.

    Edit2: Just confirmed it worked for me, and it does appear you have to manually run it every time. Another idea that I don't know if it's possible, it would be nice if you could choose which things are supported by your printer. Mine is a black and white/laser printer (Brother HL-2170w) that doesn't support double-sided, so it'd be nice if color defaulted to off (and maybe if those didn't even display). And if it could auto-close Adobe when done, that'd be nice too.
    I probably can't make it a true Windows service, because it needs to launch programs with a GUI and having a Windows service interact with the desktop is generally frowned upon in Windows Vista and newer. That being said, I'm thinking on making the program be a GUI application that is minimizable to the system tray, so it shouldn't clutter the desktop when running.

    As for the auto-start after boot, I'll definitely keep that feature in mind when working on this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Just did this on my XP Pro machine and my HP Photosmart C5280. Worked perfect! Thanks!! Only hangup, which you need to add to your first post, is you have to have the .NET framework version 4 installed (ugh )
    Thanks for letting me know about that oversight in the instructions. I'll add it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Given that the daemon has to be active on the PC whenever you wish to print from your TouchPad, I find it more convenient to activate it from a desktop icon. The following instructions for Windows XP.

    Modifying theomodsim's setup instructions instructions from the OP

    How do I run it?
    Extract the touchprint_daemon_bin.zip ZIP archive.
    Navigate in Explorer to the directory where you extracted the ZIP file contents to.
    Right click on CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe and 'Send To' > 'Desktop (create shortcut)

    Find the path of AcroRd32.exe on your machine (eg "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe").
    Insert "CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe" "full path for AcroRd32.exe, surrounded by double quotes" as the 'Target' in the properties window.
    eg "C:\Program Files\TouchPrint\CBonnell.TouchPrintDaemon.exe" "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" (note: double quotes around both files separately)
    Change the icon to something network printer related and the title to TouchPrint
    Close the properties window.


    You can then run the program by clicking the desktop icon and you are then ready to accept print jobs.

    If a firewall warning dialog appears, be sure to allow the program access to the network.

    On the TouchPad, open the Printer Settings and manually add a printer. The printer IP address is the IP address of your computer. You can name the printer whatever you want.

    You should now able to send print jobs from your TouchPad!

    Thanks again to theomodsim. This is a great facility for TouchPad!
    Thanks for the improved instructions. I'll add them now.
    Tim Dugan, treodoc755 and Dis like this.
  16. #36  
    Well, I just saw this thread. This what I was wanting to do but on Linux in another thread. This will be perfect for my TouchPad. Thanks!!!

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Well, I just saw this thread. This what I was wanting to do but on Linux in another thread. This will be perfect for my TouchPad. Thanks!!!

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Thanks for the info you provided in that thread, especially concerning the SNMP information. It was really helpful in getting this working.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    I'm hoping to find a solution for the Adobe Reader window remaining open after printer, but I still haven't found a good one yet. The program calls AcroRd32.exe with the "/t" switch (print silently), but Adobe Reader doesn't exit after printing.
    Can you try it with /N /T
  19. #39  
    Thanks for the info you provided in that thread, especially concerning the SNMP information. It was really helpful in getting this working.
    Well, I had the idea, but couldn't implement it :-(


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  20. #40  
    Where's the paypal donation link??

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions