Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
  1.    #301  
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    The computer running the print server software could be asleep (power saving), if the Touchpad could be configured to sent a WOL magic packet when initiating a print job. I have no idea how to make a patch for the Touchpad, or even if it's possible--but maybe somebody does?
    I think it would be much easier to just make a standalone homebrew app that sends WOL magic packets rather than trying to integrate the WOL functionality into the printer daemon on the TouchPad. This is because the printer daemon is written in C (rather than JavaScript) and compiled to native ARM code, so attempting to patch it to have modified functionality is much, much more difficult than patching a JavaScript-based program/service.

If such an app was implemented, when one wants to print, one could open that app and send the magic packet to the PC so it can then receive print jobs.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    There is an apps already. I saw one yesterday looking around in the catelog. Not free but there.

WOL works for bringing a system from off with that function enabled in the computers NIC. Power it up and it subsequent booting does not get you past the login screen. You'd need remote access to it and login remotely to complete the process. XP used to be able to be configured without login requirement. Win7 I doubt it.
    Splashtop also has WOL built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dentz View Post
    Will this work with a wireless printer?
    Works great w/ my wireless brother AIW. The app runs on my main tower and feeds wireless to the printer. No issues.

AWESOME LITTLE APP!
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
    XP used to be able to be configured without login requirement. Win7 I doubt it.
    Google Win7 Auto Logon, it is possible.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    This works pretty good. I guess the one downside I have is that I cant setup two seperate printers from the same IP address (i.e Printer 1 upstairs and Printer 2 downstairs).

Any ideas other using a different PC for each Printer?

Thanks again,
  7.    #307  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlslade View Post
    This works pretty good. I guess the one downside I have is that I cant setup two seperate printers from the same IP address (i.e Printer 1 upstairs and Printer 2 downstairs).

Any ideas other using a different PC for each Printer?

Thanks again,
    Are the two printers that you want to print to available on the same Windows machine? If so, then you can designate one as the "duplex" printer and another as the "simplex" printer in the program settings. To route the job to the desired printer, select "1-sided" or "2-sided" when printing from the TouchPad and the program will send the job to the appropriate printer.
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    Are you able to run console applications (not GUI applications) as Windows services with SrvAny.exe? If so, I could probably get a console version up and running (and built against .NET 2.0) so that it can be run as a Windows service (using a service "wrapper" tool such as SrvAny or FireDaemon) and well as on Linux (running under Mono).
    just curious if any progress was made on making this work as a service? my bro-in-law would love to be able to run this on his WHS so that my sister can print from her touchpad without worrying about whether the desktop is on or not. I might even be able to convince him to send on a donation if it could work.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pjf02536 View Post
    Ok I dont do windows if I dont have to, so a linux solution was in order. Besides being able to set this up on a desktop, which I used to develop the solution, it can (and I Am) running it on an embedded system .... (pogoplug running archlinux arm)
    The basic setup should be similar for most linux distros
    Hi,

I set it up on my linux box and the emulator (don't have my touchpad here) accepts the printer (ip of my box I typed in) and prints and complains.

Now we need to convert the incoming pdl file into ps for cups to print
    making pdl2ps (ghostpdl) (Note the time function may need to be comented)
    What has to be done serverside? I assume, that this still has to be done or do you have a solution to print on any printer connected to the linux box?

Thanks in advance!

Marcel
    I'm getting a PCL XL error
    subsystem: IMAGE
    Error: ExtraData
    Operator: ReadImage
    Position 7875 (This number varies)

on the print out at times. Any ideas why? Printing to an hp 4050TN LaserJet
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pjf02536 View Post
    Ok I dont do windows if I dont have to, so a linux solution was in order. Besides being able to set this up on a desktop, which I used to develop the solution, it can (and I Am) running it on an embedded system .... (pogoplug running archlinux arm)
    The basic setup should be similar for most linux distros
    Works perfectly on my OpenIndiana server as well. My TouchPads print to my Xerox Phasor 8400N and I even got a correct "Low on Ink" message. Thanks for your help.

Is it possible to add another printer using this method? I have my old workhorse IBM (yes, pre-Lexmark) B&W laser printer.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  12.    #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    just curious if any progress was made on making this work as a service? my bro-in-law would love to be able to run this on his WHS so that my sister can print from her touchpad without worrying about whether the desktop is on or not. I might even be able to convince him to send on a donation if it could work.
    Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I can whip up a command line version in the next few days or so. I was originally intending on making a command line version that would be able to run on Mono (for Linux), but now there appears to be a Linux solution in place, so that is probably no longer needed. Since it's no longer necessary to modify the code to run under .NET 2.0 (and Mono), making a command line interface (running under .NET 4.0) should be much simpler.
  13.    #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuzz View Post
    I'm getting a PCL XL error
    subsystem: IMAGE
    Error: ExtraData
    Operator: ReadImage
    Position 7875 (This number varies)

on the print out at times. Any ideas why? Printing to an hp 4050TN LaserJet
    Can you copy/paste the processing log here? The processing log should contain any errors returned from GhostScript (which performs the physical printing), so that should hopefully shed some light as to what is going on.
    Both TCP and UDP ports are open on local address 0.0.0.0:..

I receive the following error on start:
    ************** Exception Text **************
    PortInUseException: Endpoint is already in use

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Touch2PcPrinter
    Assembly Version: 1.2.1.0
    Win32 Version: 1.2.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Documents/TouchPad%20Stuff/Touch2PcPrinter/Touch2PcPrinter.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    SharpSnmpLib
    Assembly Version: 7.0.10731.7
    Win32 Version: 7.0.010731.07
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Documents/TouchPad%20Stuff/Touch2PcPrinter/SharpSnmpLib.DLL
    System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I can whip up a command line version in the next few days or so. I was originally intending on making a command line version that would be able to run on Mono (for Linux), but now there appears to be a Linux solution in place, so that is probably no longer needed. Since it's no longer necessary to modify the code to run under .NET 2.0 (and Mono), making a command line interface (running under .NET 4.0) should be much simpler.
    Great. Looking forward to it.
    My thanks to the author, Theomodism.

Im now able to print to my Samsung CLP320 printer from my touchpad.. I already had a windows server in place at home, so no effort required there.

Not sure if this was already mentioned, as I didn't read this entire thread - but, for anyone who is interested, I have this running as a service in windows using microsofts free srvany utility, and can verify it works like a charm, at least for printing to the printer.,, didnt try the pdf, but I expect you need to be logged in with a desktop session for that.
    Last edited by crajax; 11/20/2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
    interesting, I though someone had already tried it with srvany and it didn't work? so we were waiting for a command line version from theomodsim.

did you do anything special to get it to work with srvany?
    LISpeedG: make sure no SNMP windows service is running, this is virtually always the case for the error you have posted.
    interesting, I though someone had already tried it with srvany and it didn't work? so we were waiting for a command line version from theomodsim.

No, not really.
    a) I ran the program interactively, ie as normal, on the desktop, logged in as my own uid, and selected my printer for each of the 4 fields, and selected auto start. I noted that when I quit the program and restarted, the program 'remembers' my selection.
    b) quit the program
    c) set up using srvany, which created the service as usual, and then I went into service manager, modified the service to logon using the same account/uid as the interactive session, NOT the system account/profile (which is the default when using srvany).

..that's about it, it worked for me. (Windows XP machine)
  20.    #320  

In addition to crajax's solution using srvany, I was able to get the current GUI version running in the background by creating a scheduled task that runs when the computer starts (before anyone logs in). This was done on a machine running Windows 7 64-bit.

Which version of Windows are you running? If you're running Windows 7, I'll provide detailed steps on how to setup a scheduled task to auto-launch the program on system start.