Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
    Thanks McTristan for your answer, eventhough not the "standard settings" donīt make any differences but I could make some progress with changing the printer language from "PCL XL" to "PCL 5e": Now I can change between duplex and simplex mode and even can choose the paper output, e.g. sorter, backside...

The only problem left is, that I do not finde a way, to choose between the paper boxes, it is always printing from box one.

With the older version of Print2Touch, I could change this - but with the other advantages of the newest version I wonīt go back of course...:-)

But if there is anybody with an idea in my issue, I would be happy.
    Greetings,
    Thomas
    I'm trying to print to a Lexmark X4975 hosted by a Vista Home Premium SP2 machine. The file transfer seems to work ok, but it prints only blank pages. Here's the log output:

Code:
    10/17/2011 9:20:04 AM: Incoming print job from 192.168.0.8:41472
    10/17/2011 9:20:10 AM: Wrote print job file "C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpAFAE.tmp", 1740595 bytes in size
    10/17/2011 9:20:10 AM: Converting PCL file to PostScript...
    10/17/2011 9:20:10 AM: Starting pcl6.exe process for conversion to PostScript...
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: pcl6.exe exited normally
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Deleting temporary PCL file...
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Color mode for job: Color
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Duplex/simplex mode for job: Duplex
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Sending PostScript file to be printed...
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Wrote job setup file to "C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpDA86.tmp"
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: GhostScript completed processing successfully
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: Deleted job setup file
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: Print job complete!
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: Deleting temporary PostScript file...
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: Waiting for incoming job...
    When I print to pdf, the output file is correct. Is there a problem with the Postscript conversion? Or the interface to the printer driver?

Thanks for the app, which I hope to enjoy using soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    I have just released version 1.2.0, which uses the new method of printing to physical printers using the GhostScript API. This is essentially a total rewrite of the code that prints to a physical printer, so please let me know if problems are found.
    Software ignores the duplex on setting on my Brother printer - specifically:

Vista PC 64 bit - running your version 1.2.0
    Brother HL-5250DL BW laser with Auto Duplex Selectable
    HP DeskJet 6800 color Inkjet no auto duplex

Two "copies" of the Brother - one set to single sided, one set to auto duplex - two different printer names. Note: Double-checked that single / double sided works fine with local printing, but ....

TP printer interface:

- select 2 sided, color off - prints to Brother, but ignores the printer's setup of duplex on - prints all pages 1-sided

- select 1 side, color off - prints to Brother single sided all pages - a expected

- select color on, either i-sided or 2-side - prints to HP with no duplex.

Logs indicated the correct interpretation on BW / color and Simplex / Duplex was made in all cases
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
    @silverbackdave: As I wrote a few messages before, I had a similar problem with my Kyocera: The solution was changing the printer language: Working is PCL 5e at my printer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dompteur9 View Post
    @silverbackdave: As I wrote a few messages before, I had a similar problem with my Kyocera: The solution was changing the printer language: Working is PCL 5e at my printer...
    Can you point me in the direction of how I might do the same?

Where to make that change and details of how to do so.

Would be greatly appreciated indeed.
    Dave
    I'm afraid, that this is something different from printer to printer at least producer to producer.

For the Kyocera, there is a section "PDL" at the extended settings of the printer driver, where you can change the printer languages...but I have no idea, where to find this for HP or Brother...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dompteur9 View Post
    I'm afraid, that this is something different from printer to printer at least producer to producer.

For the Kyocera, there is a section "PDL" at the extended settings of the printer driver, where you can change the printer languages...but I have no idea, where to find this for HP or Brother...
    Thanks for steering me in a direction - I searched high and low and can find no option or driver option for the Brother Laser HL-5250DL that will allow me to change the printer language.

I have gone back to version 1.1.3 - provide the simplex/duplex option choices on my single printer I need, appears to run faster than 1.2.0, and has not been giving me any problems (knock on wood).

Thanks to all!
    Dave
    gxdunn likes this.
    Such a relief! I have a Canon MP560, and am actually on the phone with HP. They say only HP printers will work with the touchpad.
    So I am on hold, found this posting, and about to try it.
    I'm sure it will work, so I'm thanking you, and I'm sure the lady will come back online saying it's not possible!

Of course, when the people (even level 2) came back online, they said they are aware of the problem, and are working on it. But as of this time, there is no way to print to other brands.
    I told him about your fine app, and they said they don't support "homebrew" apps.
    So, there you go.
    Last edited by steve757; 10/17/2011 at 08:56 PM.
  9.    #249  
    Quote Originally Posted by samiller View Post
    I'm trying to print to a Lexmark X4975 hosted by a Vista Home Premium SP2 machine. The file transfer seems to work ok, but it prints only blank pages. Here's the log output:

Code:
    10/17/2011 9:20:04 AM: Incoming print job from 192.168.0.8:41472
    10/17/2011 9:20:10 AM: Wrote print job file "C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpAFAE.tmp", 1740595 bytes in size
    10/17/2011 9:20:10 AM: Converting PCL file to PostScript...
    10/17/2011 9:20:10 AM: Starting pcl6.exe process for conversion to PostScript...
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: pcl6.exe exited normally
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Deleting temporary PCL file...
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Color mode for job: Color
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Duplex/simplex mode for job: Duplex
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Sending PostScript file to be printed...
    10/17/2011 9:20:15 AM: Wrote job setup file to "C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpDA86.tmp"
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: GhostScript completed processing successfully
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: Deleted job setup file
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: Print job complete!
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: Deleting temporary PostScript file...
    10/17/2011 9:20:32 AM: Waiting for incoming job...
    When I print to pdf, the output file is correct. Is there a problem with the Postscript conversion? Or the interface to the printer driver?

Thanks for the app, which I hope to enjoy using soon!
    Do you have a virtual PDF printer installed on Windows (such as PrimoPDF, PDFCreator, etc.)? If so, can you set the output printer to be a virtual printer and try printing? If the output file is blank, then there's most likely a problem with the GhostScript conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Any reasonable language would work... C, C++, etc. However, there is already a binding for Python if you prefer to work in a scripting language.
    It would probably be much easier to get this working on Linux if Mono/C# was targeted. With some minor code modifications, we could probably get it up and running under version 2 of the Mono CLR.
  10.    #250  
    If anyone is willing to try out a test version that contains a change that might resolve some of the simplex/duplex printing issues (such as jobs always being printed 1-sided even though 2-sided is selected), please send me a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve757 View Post
    Such a relief! I have a Canon MP560, and am actually on the phone with HP. They say only HP printers will work with the touchpad.
    So I am on hold, found this posting, and about to try it.
    I'm sure it will work, so I'm thanking you, and I'm sure the lady will come back online saying it's not possible!

Of course, when the people (even level 2) came back online, they said they are aware of the problem, and are working on it. But as of this time, there is no way to print to other brands.
    I told him about your fine app, and they said they don't support "homebrew" apps.
    So, there you go.
    By the way, it worked perfectly!
    Thanks a million.
    Do you have a paypal account that people can send donations?
    Steve
    theomodsim likes this.
    If anyone is willing to try out a test version that contains a change that might resolve some of the simplex/duplex printing issues (such as jobs always being printed 1-sided even though 2-sided is selected), please send me a PM.
    Yes - send me info at silverbackdave@gmail.com

Don't know how to pm here.
    Dave
    Do you have a virtual PDF printer installed on Windows (such as PrimoPDF, PDFCreator, etc.)? If so, can you set the output printer to be a virtual printer and try printing? If the output file is blank, then there's most likely a problem with the GhostScript conversion.
    I had a Bullzip virtual printer installed. Printing works with that (though I'm getting an extra page). I guess that means the .NET interface to the Lexmark printer driver is at fault? Sucks for me. I don't know how you would fix that.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Well I have two HP LaserJet Printers on my network (via JetDirect cards). The TP does not detect them. I can set it up manually with the IP but nothing is printed. Clearly PCL is not supported and is the base printer language for Laser printers. Daah, maybe one day. I am not going out to buy a inkjet. I have thrown out so many and have no use for them.

The emulator via a Windows PC is interesting but the SNMP running may open up a security hole. I don't need it that bad and beside can't print when I am somewhere else.
  15.    #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by steve757 View Post
    By the way, it worked perfectly!
    Thanks a million.
    Do you have a paypal account that people can send donations?
    Steve
    Glad to hear it works for you. In terms of donations, donate whatever you were planning on donating for this program and instead donate to webOS internals. They've done a lot more for the community than I have.

I had a Bullzip virtual printer installed. Printing works with that (though I'm getting an extra page). I guess that means the .NET interface to the Lexmark printer driver is at fault? Sucks for me. I don't know how you would fix that.
    I honestly have no idea how that could be happening. If you set the program to "print to PDF file" only and then manually print the generated PDF (via Adobe Reader, etc.), does it also print blank pages?

Quote Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
    Well I have two HP LaserJet Printers on my network (via JetDirect cards). The TP does not detect them. I can set it up manually with the IP but nothing is printed. Clearly PCL is not supported and is the base printer language for Laser printers. Daah, maybe one day. I am not going out to buy a inkjet. I have thrown out so many and have no use for them.

The emulator via a Windows PC is interesting but the SNMP running may open up a security hole. I don't need it that bad and beside can't print when I am somewhere else.
    The TouchPad only outputs jobs in PCL3GUI and PCL5 (and uses the printer name returned in the SNMP response to determine which language level to use). If for some reason the TouchPad is sending PCL3GUI jobs, that might be why nothing is being printed (from what little I read, PCL3GUI is not truly PCL and supported by only a small set of printers).

Can you elaborate on why you think this program's use of SNMP can be a security hole? The program contains an embedded SNMP agent that answers only 4 variable GET requests only (the 4 variables that the TouchPad request).
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I can partially. I used to sell, support and configure Compaq Proliant Servers running Windows and using Compaq Hardware health monitoring called Insite Manager. One company which had over 70 Proliant server and not using the management software utilizing advanced prefailure warning. The client did not want the software installed once the realized it used SNMP agents to communicate through the network and was used by managed switches etc. Thats over 10 years ago and its no longer used and I don't believe the HP or IBM management software uses SNMP transports any more. I did use this at one time on my own server but in a home/office it wasn't a concern.

How they take advantage of it is beyond my scope, but I remember.
    I honestly have no idea how that could be happening. If you set the program to "print to PDF file" only and then manually print the generated PDF (via Adobe Reader, etc.), does it also print blank pages?
    No, Adobe reader prints the file, though the printout is surprisingly blurry -- barely readable really -- though on the screen it looks fine.

I seem to remember a previous version of touch2pc did not use Ghostscript. Is it possible for me to try that?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    "Ghostscript" wow, I remember that driver and application and was used to be able to printer Postscript files to a non Postscript printer over 15 years ago. I am not surprised at the results. Most printers support PCL, the default HP language of laser printers and some injets. The should have that support by default since its tough to provide a family of drivers like Windows does.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I just finished testing. Printing an email received on the TP, and IT WORKS NOW!!! I got the printout of text with the hyperlinks in it underlined. I have not tried other documents but I see no reason why notes, emails, memos can't be printed and likely basic word documents may as well.

This is printing without any add-ons to my HP LaserJet 4100 printer on the TCPIP network. This is a big plus now that I can print some content with going to another computer to print something I am looking at on the TP. NOTE: Webos Ver 3.0.4 77
  20.    #260  
    No, Adobe reader prints the file, though the printout is surprisingly blurry -- barely readable really -- though on the screen it looks fine.

I seem to remember a previous version of touch2pc did not use Ghostscript. Is it possible for me to try that?
    I updated the original post with a list of links to download previous versions. Probably version 1.1.3 is the one you want to try out.