Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Great application!! However, I am running into an issue with the printer name. The TP sends the pritn job to the W7 PC, goes thru the PCL to PDF conversion, but fails to print. The exception error is:

10/10/2011 4:49:26 PM: Deleting temporary PDF file...
    10/10/2011 4:49:26 PM: EXCEPTION OCCURRED: System.Printing.PrintQueueException: An exception occurred while populating the properties for the PrintQueue object. Win32 error: The printer name is invalid.

This is a work environment, so the actual printers are hung off a windows print sever, so my printer selection is \\ZUES\MAGNETO versus a directly attached or a different type of print server that I have at home.

Can you advise on the support of having \\print_server\printer_name support?

Best Regards,

Borsheck
    bcok likes this.
  2.    #222  
    To everyone having trouble with jobs not completing or Adobe Reader otherwise erroring out:
    I plan on redoing how the printing is done to totally eliminate Adobe Reader from the process. What I have in mind is to convert the PCL file sent from the Touchpad to PostScript (GhostPCL supports outputting PostScript in addition to PDF) and then invoking GhostScript to print the PostScript file to the physical printer.

GhostScript seems to be much more robust than the current method of invoking Adobe Reader and then polling for job completion and then forcibly terminating Adobe Reader (so its main window doesn't keep hanging around).

Until I get this support added, a temporary workaround would be to "print to PDF" only and then print out the generated PDF files when you're at the computer. Not elegant I know, but I'm hoping to get something better working here in the next few days.
    gxdunn likes this.
  3.    #223  
    Quote Originally Posted by borsheck View Post
    Great application!! However, I am running into an issue with the printer name. The TP sends the pritn job to the W7 PC, goes thru the PCL to PDF conversion, but fails to print. The exception error is:

10/10/2011 4:49:26 PM: Deleting temporary PDF file...
    10/10/2011 4:49:26 PM: EXCEPTION OCCURRED: System.Printing.PrintQueueException: An exception occurred while populating the properties for the PrintQueue object. Win32 error: The printer name is invalid.

This is a work environment, so the actual printers are hung off a windows print sever, so my printer selection is \\ZUES\MAGNETO versus a directly attached or a different type of print server that I have at home.

Can you advise on the support of having \\print_server\printer_name support?

Best Regards,

Borsheck
    As far as I know, shared Windows printers should work. Can you copy/paste the four lines in the processing log where the output printers are listed?
    @theomodsim:
    Sounds great - looking forward to the ghostscribt version. Until then, the workaround isnīt too bad, because to catch my prints I also have to go to the PC first...:-)

@karmalg:
    Congrats, when this ist really working for longer time. At my sytem I just had a few prints and then I had to change the output folder again - but then there is the possibility, to go back to the old folder. So at least, I could work with 2 ouput folders...:-)
    Is there any way to increase the printing resolution? My printouts are always very pixellated. It looks like it's using 100 dpi or less. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    As far as I know, shared Windows printers should work. Can you copy/paste the four lines in the processing log where the output printers are listed?
    Here is a copy of the processing log form this morning...

-------- Processing Log --------

10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: Output folder: C:\Users\wquon\Touch2PcPrinter Output
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: Output to PDF file only: False
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: Output simplex black & white printer: \\ZEUS\MAGNETO
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: Output duplex black & white printer: HP LaserJet 5P/5MP PostScript
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: Output simplex color printer: \\ZEUS\MAGNETO
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: Output duplex color printer: \\ZEUS\HULK
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: PDF program path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: PDF program arguments: /t "{0}" "{1}"
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: Job timeout: 120 second(s)
    10/11/2011 8:08:11 AM: Print job listener started successfully
    10/11/2011 8:08:12 AM: SNMP Agent started successfully
    10/11/2011 8:08:12 AM: Waiting for incoming job...
    10/11/2011 9:21:04 AM: Incoming print job from 192.168.1.55:46612
    10/11/2011 9:21:07 AM: Wrote print job file "C:\Users\wquon\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp86DC.tmp", 1872333 bytes in size
    10/11/2011 9:21:07 AM: Converting PCL file to PDF...
    10/11/2011 9:21:07 AM: Starting pcl6.exe process for conversion to PDF...
    10/11/2011 9:21:09 AM: pcl6.exe exited normally
    10/11/2011 9:21:09 AM: Deleting temporary PCL file...
    10/11/2011 9:21:09 AM: Color mode for job: BlackAndWhite
    10/11/2011 9:21:09 AM: Duplex/simplex mode for job: Simplex
    10/11/2011 9:21:09 AM: Sending PDF file to be printed...
    10/11/2011 9:21:10 AM: Deleting temporary PDF file...
    10/11/2011 9:21:10 AM: EXCEPTION OCCURRED: System.Printing.PrintQueueException: An exception occurred while populating the properties for the PrintQueue object. Win32 error: The printer name is invalid.

at System.Printing.PrintQueue.Initialize(PrintServer printServer, String printQueueName, String[] propertiesFilter, PrinterDefaults printerDefaults)
    at System.Printing.PrintQueue..ctor(PrintServer printServer, String printQueueName)
    at Atom8.Monitors.PrintQueueMonitor.Start() in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\PrintQueueMonitor\PrintQueueMonitor.cs:line 129
    at Atom8.Monitors.PrintQueueMonitor..ctor(String strSpoolName) in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\PrintQueueMonitor\PrintQueueMonitor.cs:line 103
    at Touch2PcPrinter.PdfPrinter.Print(String pdfFilePath, String outputPrinter) in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\PdfPrinter.cs:line 82
    at Touch2PcPrinter.Server.runServer() in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\Server.cs:line 178
    10/11/2011 9:21:10 AM: Waiting for incoming job...

Note: I attempted to print to my home HP LaserJet 5MP as well. The print job was sent to the printer, but the job finally errored out and never printed, the 5MP light indicated that the job was still being processed.

Regards,

Borsheck
    Attached Files Attached Files
    works great. Thanks.
    I am having the same problem as some of those before me. I have been able to print directly to PDF, but when i set it to send to my printer i get this:

10/12/2011 4:53:51 AM: Sending PDF file to be printed...
    10/12/2011 4:53:51 AM: Deleting temporary PDF file...
    10/12/2011 4:53:51 AM: EXCEPTION OCCURRED: System.Printing.PrintQueueException: An exception occurred while populating the properties for the PrintQueue object. Win32 error: The printer name is invalid.

at System.Printing.PrintQueue.Initialize(PrintServer printServer, String printQueueName, String[] propertiesFilter, PrinterDefaults printerDefaults)
    at System.Printing.PrintQueue..ctor(PrintServer printServer, String printQueueName)
    at Atom8.Monitors.PrintQueueMonitor.Start() in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\PrintQueueMonitor\PrintQueueMonitor.cs:line 129
    at Atom8.Monitors.PrintQueueMonitor..ctor(String strSpoolName) in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\PrintQueueMonitor\PrintQueueMonitor.cs:line 103
    at Touch2PcPrinter.PdfPrinter.Print(String pdfFilePath, String outputPrinter) in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\PdfPrinter.cs:line 82
    at Touch2PcPrinter.Server.runServer() in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\Server.cs:line 178

I can see the tmp pdf file show up and quicky disappear in my designated folder. Its like its getting deleted before it gets a chance to print. Oh, i have tried this on two different computers *one hardwired one wireless* with the same results.

any solutions?

*EDIT*
    I posted this before i read theomodsim's post. for the rare occurrence that i try to print ill just save the PDF and print it out later. Keep up the good work, looking forward to direct printing in the future.
    Last edited by Bassmanspiff; 10/12/2011 at 05:23 AM.
    The Touchpad has landed. Ordered 8-21 Delivered 10-10. 32gb at 1.5ghz.
    Works like a champ for me.

HP Inkjet and brother auto duplex laser - on my Vista 64 bit main PC.
    Also to PDF only on my Eeee Netbook.

Look forward to being able to do either PDF or Printers on one system.
    :thumbs:
    Last edited by silverbackdave; 10/12/2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: removed unintended big quote
    Dave
    ... Not really and definitely willing to help.
    i have a dell v305 printer. i followed all instructions in the first page and my touchpad displays (printer not supported) when I try to add my printer.

what am i doing wrong?

should i print to pdf? what will that do?

please help. i really want to be able to print from my touchpad
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    dompteur-I tried printing again and had success......except when I tried to print a two page file.....only the first page printed. But otherwise printing is working.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Any possibility of someone helping me port this to something other than .NET? I would love to see it use net-snmp (http://www.net-snmp.org/) so it will run on Unix/Linux/BSD platforms. I started looking at it but the SNMP documentation was confusing me badly. I've grown a deep appreciation for the work that was done to create this product.

All I'd like to do is to provide the faux-hp snmp agent and a printer proxy. Since my printers already support both PCL and PostScript plus the appropriate network protocols, no translation is required.
    Last edited by ggendel; 10/13/2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  13.    #233  
    I have just released version 1.2.0, which uses the new method of printing to physical printers using the GhostScript API. This is essentially a total rewrite of the code that prints to a physical printer, so please let me know if problems are found.
  14.    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Any possibility of someone helping me port this to something other than .NET? I would love to see it use net-snmp (Net-SNMP) so it will run on Unix/Linux/BSD platforms. I started looking at it but the SNMP documentation was confusing me badly. I've grown a deep appreciation for the work that was done to create this product.

All I'd like to do is to provide the faux-hp snmp agent and a printer proxy. Since my printers already support both PCL and PostScript plus the appropriate network protocols, no translation is required.
    I'd be more than happy to help out in getting this working on Linux. Do you have a particular programming language in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by jumpman2010 View Post
    i have a dell v305 printer. i followed all instructions in the first page and my touchpad displays (printer not supported) when I try to add my printer.

what am i doing wrong?

should i print to pdf? what will that do?

please help. i really want to be able to print from my touchpad
    Is your printer a network printer, or is it physically attached to your computer? If it's a network printer, be sure that you're typing in the IP address of your computer (not the IP address of the printer) on the Add Printer menu on the TouchPad.

Quote Originally Posted by judith007 View Post
    Is there any way to increase the printing resolution? My printouts are always very pixellated. It looks like it's using 100 dpi or less. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
    It looks like the PCL conversion software defaults to a low resolution. In the new version (1.2.0), I bumped up the output resolution to 600 DPI. Hopefully that will help with the quality issues you're experiencing.
    Last edited by theomodsim; 10/13/2011 at 09:03 PM.
    everything seems to be working well, my only flaw is that it comes up with the print dialogue on the computer running the program. I mean all I have to do is hit ok and everything prints fine, just a small annoyance.
  16.    #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmanspiff View Post
    everything seems to be working well, my only flaw is that it comes up with the print dialogue on the computer running the program. I mean all I have to do is hit ok and everything prints fine, just a small annoyance.
    Can you copy/paste the lines from the processing log where the output printers are listed? Given that you had problems with "invalid printer names" in your previous comment, GhostScript might be getting confused by the printer name (GhostScript prompts for the output printer if considers the supplied printer name to be invalid).
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I'd be more than happy to help out in getting this working on Linux. Do you have a particular programming language in mind?

Is your printer a network printer, or is it physically attached to your computer? If it's a network printer, be sure that you're typing in the IP address of your computer (not the IP address of the printer) on the Add Printer menu on the TouchPad.

It looks like the PCL conversion software defaults to a low resolution. In the new version (1.2.0), I bumped up the output resolution to 600 DPI. Hopefully that will help with the quality issues you're experiencing.
    Any reasonable language would work... C, C++, etc. However, there is already a binding for Python if you prefer to work in a scripting language.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Trying to think how to phrase this. It doesnt really error. The "please choose your printer options" window pops up on the computer that is running your program. all i have to do is click print on that prompt and it finishes printing.
    ...great job with v1.2.0 now I could print every job sofar.

I also could change between my b/w-printer Kyocera FS-1800+ and the color printer Epson Photo R 800.

But with the Kyocera every setting is ignored.
    First I have to mention, that the Kyocera is not connected directly to the PC but to the Fritz.Box.
    What is more, this printer has a duplex unit and 4 paper boxes: The first for good paper, second for personalized paper, third for colored and fourth for draft paper. The default setting is, to print with draft paper and single sided. But I also have two futher printers installed at the PC for this Kyocera, one with the setting, printing with good paper single sided and one with good paper double sided. But no matter, which of these Kyocera settings I choose, it always print single sided with good paper. Any idea, what this could be and how to change it?

That`s not absolutly necessary, just could be an option to make this great app absolutly perfect.

Have a nice weekend,
    Thomas
    Have you set these profile settings for your Kyocera printer under the section "standard settings"? It might not work if you specify it in your normal printer settings...