Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes
  1.    #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcok View Post
    This works very well for me now on both my b&w and color printers. The only enhancement I would like to see at this point is the ability to define one of the 4 printer options as pdf only (perhaps color duplex?). The way it is currently configured I can choose to either physically print everything or save all print jobs as pdf's. It would be nice to choose on the Touchpad at the point of printing whether I'd like a hard copy then or just a pdf file of the printout. Sometimes I want to save something to a pdf file but don't really need a hardcopy, and other times I'm actually wanting an immediate hardcopy.

But even as it stands now this is a fantastic program that really meets a need I had in making my Touchpad usable. Thank you!
    Having the ability to select one of the output printers as "print to PDF only" was available in version 1.1.1, but it was somewhat confusing to setup in the simple case (where a user wanted to only print to PDF or print to a physical printer), so the GUI was changed to make it easier to setup (but eliminated the possibility to do what you're describing). If we can come up with a way to allow for the flexibility you want but still make it easy to configure, we can definitely add it.

Quote Originally Posted by chex_bomb View Post
    Amazing work, guys! I'm now able to print duplex from my Lexmark printer!
    But I ran into a small problem: I printed a 2-page document, but the physical printout printed the first 10 lines from the 2nd page, on the 1st page. The document looks correct on both my touchpad and my windows 7 desktop. Any ideas on what's wrong?
    If you set the program to print to PDF only and then print the file from the TouchPad again, does the document look fine in PDF format or does it have the problem you described?

Were you printing from QuickOffice HD by any chance? I noticed that it doesn't do too great of a job maintaining the document format when printing.
  2.    #182  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    it's Vers 2. So, the router would be cool with setting a static IP? How do I do that? You can supply a link that's easier.
    Which version of Windows are you using (XP, Windows 7, etc.)?
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    XP
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    it's Vers 2. So, the router would be cool with setting a static IP? How do I do that? You can supply a link that's easier.
    A WRT54G v2 will run Tomato. Just a suggestion, I like Tomato but you need to decide for yourself.

The V2 will actually run multiple "flavors" of Tomato, original, TomatoUSB, TomatoRAF, Toastman. You can compare the features looking at the Wikipedia Tomato firmware article. I currently run Toastman which is based on TomatoUSB.

Probably the easiest way to get started would be to head over to the TomatoUSB web site, and grab Kernel 2.4 (stable) NoUSB Std version. You can install per the FAQ from the "original" version of Tomato which is still mostly accurate for the newer versions. For further questions you'll want to check out the TomatoUSB Forums or the LinksysInfo.org Tomato forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by McTristan View Post
    If the PDF looks alright (try PDF output only) it must be something with the printer setting... Could you please check the PDF File?
    Quote Originally Posted by theomodsim View Post
    If you set the program to print to PDF only and then print the file from the TouchPad again, does the document look fine in PDF format or does it have the problem you described?

Were you printing from QuickOffice HD by any chance? I noticed that it doesn't do too great of a job maintaining the document format when printing.
    I tried the PDF output and the resulting PDF file has the same problem as the physical printout. (I previously also tried duplex and non-duplex, with the same result.)

I was indeed printing from QuickOffice HD. Is there a better app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    No dice on that setup.exe. It installs fine without a hitch, but the files arn't copied correctly. The terminal disappears too quick for me to see if it's successful, but the setup program says all is fine. Searching for gpedit.msc is unsuccessful as well as manually navigating to the C:/Windows/System32/GPBAK/ folder (which doesn't exist).

Im running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit, and ran the setup.exe as admin.
    It puts them in the following directory for 64bit Win7Home...
    c:\windows\syswow64\gpbak

Sure would have been nice for the installer to mention that... Just copy them into your c:\windows\system32 and it runs from the start menu like it should... Don't overwrite the files that are already there, some of them are... Works fine, I tested it in a virtual machine with Home version... That app really should have put them in system32... Real genius wrote that one... hahahahahaha

Last edited by irie111; 09/30/2011 at 02:47 AM.
    While upgrading your router's firmware to support static IP assignments is beneficial, it's not necessary. If you simply want to have your PC always use the same IP address, just assign it. Here's a link that explains how to do that on XP: Setting a Static IP Address in Windows XP - PortForward.com

If you want to assign static IPs to multiple computers in the house, it's nice to do it with the router because they can be managed and changed all from one place - the router. But if it's just one PC you want to always have the same IP address, it's a lot faster just to assign it at the PC.
    "Murray" on chat had to resort to Erase Apps/Data suggestion. I'm not up for that hassle at this hour, so I'll defer being able to print for now, I guess.

BTW, how can I set a static IP for the desktop on the router while allowing DHCP for the wireless. (Linksys WRT5TG)
    I'm sorry, just re-read your post and see I didn't really directly answer your question. So as I pointed out you can upgrade the router to assign static IPs based on MAC address via DHCP. But your question apparently (correct me if I'm wrong) was will the router running existing can you assign a static IP? The answer is yes, just make sure it's not in the defined DHCP pool, not the gateway IP (usually x.x.x.1) or broadcast address (x.x.x.255) and should be fine.
    Can anyone port this solution to Ubuntu? Would be nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by irie111 View Post
    It puts them in the following directory for 64bit Win7Home...
    c:\windows\syswow64\gpbak

Sure would have been nice for the installer to mention that... Just copy them into your c:\windows\system32 and it runs from the start menu like it should... Don't overwrite the files that are already there, some of them are... Works fine, I tested it in a virtual machine with Home version... That app really should have put them in system32... Real genius wrote that one... hahahahahaha

Navigated to c:\windows\syswow64\gpbak and the files were there. Very nice...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Getting "Printer name is invalid" when attempting to use this on a network printer. The printer otherwise works fine. Don't really want to install the software on the computer that actually has the printer.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12.    #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Getting "Printer name is invalid" when attempting to use this on a network printer. The printer otherwise works fine. Don't really want to install the software on the computer that actually has the printer.
    Can you copy/paste the Processing Log here? Hopefully that will show us why it's failing for you.
    davidtm likes this.
    Hi,

I am getting the following error when I try to print:

--------- Start of Info ----------
    -------- Processing Log --------

10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Output folder: C:\Users\Theo\Touch2PcPrinter Output
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Output to PDF file only: False
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Output simplex black & white printer: Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Output duplex black & white printer: Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Output simplex color printer: Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Output duplex color printer: Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: PDF program path: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe"
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: PDF program arguments: /t "{0}" "{1}"
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Job timeout: 120 second(s)
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Print job listener started successfully
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: SNMP Agent started successfully
    10/5/2011 11:24:51 AM: Waiting for incoming job...
    10/5/2011 11:25:16 AM: Incoming print job from 192.168.1.10:47827
    10/5/2011 11:25:21 AM: Wrote print job file "C:\Users\Theo\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpDCFD.tmp", 4925007 bytes in size
    10/5/2011 11:25:21 AM: Converting PCL file to PDF...
    10/5/2011 11:25:21 AM: Starting pcl6.exe process for conversion to PDF...
    10/5/2011 11:25:23 AM: pcl6.exe exited normally
    10/5/2011 11:25:23 AM: Deleting temporary PCL file...
    10/5/2011 11:25:23 AM: Color mode for job: BlackAndWhite
    10/5/2011 11:25:23 AM: Duplex/simplex mode for job: Simplex
    10/5/2011 11:25:23 AM: Sending PDF file to be printed...
    10/5/2011 11:25:24 AM: Deleting temporary PDF file...
    10/5/2011 11:25:24 AM: EXCEPTION OCCURRED: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
    at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)
    at System.IO.Path.GetFileName(String path)
    at Touch2PcPrinter.PdfPrinter.Print(String pdfFilePath, String outputPrinter) in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\PdfPrinter.cs:line 98
    at Touch2PcPrinter.Server.runServer() in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\Server.cs:line 178
    10/5/2011 11:25:24 AM: Waiting for incoming job...

------ End of Log File ----------------

My Output Folder is: "C:\Users\Theo\Touch2PcPrinter Output"
    My PDF Program Path is: """C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe""
    My PDF Program Args is: "/t "{0}" "{1}""
    Job Processing Timeout is: "120"

----End of Info ----------

When I look at the Log file, I see a path with the User Name Corey in it... It seems that the app does not use the User name in the Option settings?

When I print to PDF, the PDF file is created correctly without error.

Anyone has any suggestions/fix?

Thank you.
  14.    #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
    Hi,

When I look at the Log file, I see a path with the User Name Corey in it... It seems that the app does not use the User name in the Option settings?

When I print to PDF, the PDF file is created correctly without error.

Anyone has any suggestions/fix?

Thank you.
    That path with "Corey" in it is the location of the source code file that detected the error. Since the program was built on my machine, the source code file path will correspond to the path on my machine. That file path isn't related to the output folder or anything like that.

Do you get the "illegal characters in path" error every time you attempt to print to a physical printer, or does the problem seem to occur randomly?
    Do you get the "illegal characters in path" error every time you attempt to print to a physical printer, or does the problem seem to occur randomly?
    It happens every time I attempt to print to a physical printer. Let me know if you need any more information.
    It happens every time I attempt to print to a physical printer. Let me know if you need any more information.
    I think I'm getting the same error.

Works perfectly for windows 7, then when I try windows XP it fails.

The printer is on a network, and can be printed using other programs (including adobe acrobat), but seems to have a failure everytime.
  17.    #197  
    Ah, I totally missed it the first time I looked at the log you posted. The path to Adobe Reader is surrounded by double quotes. Remove the surrounding quotes and it should work.
  18.    #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown101 View Post
    I think I'm getting the same error.

Works perfectly for windows 7, then when I try windows XP it fails.

The printer is on a network, and can be printed using other programs (including adobe acrobat), but seems to have a failure everytime.
    Can you copy/paste the processing log here?
    Ah, I totally missed it the first time I looked at the log you posted. The path to Adobe Reader is surrounded by double quotes. Remove the surrounding quotes and it should work.
    That fixed that problem. Thank you!

I now have a different. All my settings are still the same (with the corrected Adobe Reader path). Here is the Processing Log:

-------- Processing Log --------

10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Output folder: C:\Users\Theo\Touch2PcPrinter Output
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Output to PDF file only: False
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Output simplex black & white printer: Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Output duplex black & white printer: Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Output simplex color printer: Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Output duplex color printer: Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: PDF program path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: PDF program arguments: /t "{0}" "{1}"
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Job timeout: 120 second(s)
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Print job listener started successfully
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: SNMP Agent started successfully
    10/6/2011 8:28:08 AM: Waiting for incoming job...
    10/6/2011 8:28:29 AM: Incoming print job from 192.168.1.10:36778
    10/6/2011 8:29:08 AM: Wrote print job file "C:\Users\Theo\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp6030.tmp", 46093275 bytes in size
    10/6/2011 8:29:08 AM: Converting PCL file to PDF...
    10/6/2011 8:29:08 AM: Starting pcl6.exe process for conversion to PDF...
    10/6/2011 8:29:23 AM: pcl6.exe exited normally
    10/6/2011 8:29:23 AM: Deleting temporary PCL file...
    10/6/2011 8:29:23 AM: Color mode for job: BlackAndWhite
    10/6/2011 8:29:23 AM: Duplex/simplex mode for job: Duplex
    10/6/2011 8:29:23 AM: Sending PDF file to be printed...
    10/6/2011 8:29:24 AM: Starting "AcroRd32.exe" for printing to "Brother MFC-8860DN USB Printer"...
    10/6/2011 8:29:30 AM: Print job complete!
    10/6/2011 8:29:30 AM: Deleting temporary PDF file...
    10/6/2011 8:29:30 AM: EXCEPTION OCCURRED: System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Theo\Touch2PcPrinter Output\tmp6030.pdf' because it is being used by another process.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
    at Touch2PcPrinter.Server.runServer() in C:\Users\Corey\Documents\TouchPrint\Touch2PcPrinter\Server.cs:line 185
    10/6/2011 8:29:30 AM: Waiting for incoming job...

---------------------------------------

When this happens (every time), I only get one page out of a multipage document that was supposed to print (2-sided, no-color). The printer is a Network printer not USB as it says in the description.
  20.    #200  
    That fixed that problem. Thank you!

I now have a different. All my settings are still the same (with the corrected Adobe Reader path).

When this happens (every time), I only get one page out of a multipage document that was supposed to print (2-sided, no-color). The printer is a Network printer not USB as it says in the description.
    Someone previously reported that you get that error if Adobe Reader is already open when you print. If it's already open, close it and try printing again (it might be useful to open up task manager and make sure there are no latent AcroRd32.exe processes still running in the background).

Post back and let us know if that worked or not.
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast