Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thing2k
  1.    #1  
    i know there's loads of great emu's for android and a new one brewing for webos the n64 one in another thread, but i was wondering as with all emu's it needs to be at least 4x the cpu speed of the original system. so with the specs of out touchpads at say 1.5 with the possibility to all the way up to 1.9, Could it be possible either on webos or more likely android to Emulate the SONY PSP system which ran at 222 mhz or near it and max 333Mhz.

yes, no, opinions, gtfo all welcomed responses.
    Last edited by jbg22003; 09/11/2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: too vague
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg22003 View Post
    Could it be possible either on webos or more likely android to Emulate the SONY PSP system which ran at 222 mhz or near it and max 333Mhz.
    No, never. Heck there isn't even a good PSP emulator for the PC.
    It is not just a case of pure speed, the complexities of the different hardware make a difference.
    This article cover what is involved:
    Accuracy takes power: one man's 3GHz quest to build a perfect SNES emulator
    gruso likes this.
    Speaking from a use perspective...anything is possible.

I used to play SNES and MAME emulators on old Palm OS and it played quite well on my old Zodiac 2 handheld that had a fraction of the power and memory. The Zodiac 2 was also a very specialized device with a few extras like dedicated GPU hardware, two SD card slots that made adding ROMs, and very easy and Game Controllers (Analog and Digital) interfacing.

This stuff would need to be worked out on the TP, but as with N64 emulator making fantastic strides and getting better every day...anything is possible with the right motivation! Sorli...
    If you code it, people will download it! With the kind of power the Touch Pad has, it shouldn't be too difficult to port some popular emulators. It just requires skill and dedication. I am lacking the skill...
    As thing2k points out, the ability to emulate a system goes far deeper than multipliers of CPU power. There is no rule of "4x" or "10x", so throw those concepts away.

The best indicator to whether an emulator is viable on the TP, is whether or not that emulator exists on comparable platforms. If there's a good PSP emulator for iOS, then it could in theory be just as good on the TP if someone ported it. If such an emulator doesn't exist yet, then it would have to be written from scratch. In this scenario, the CPU power of the TP would be the last thing you'd worry about. First you'd need someone extraordinarily talented to give up months or years of their free time, unpaid, to write it.