Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use OpenSSH on the Touchpad to connect to remote hosts over VPN? I installed it on my Touchpad and now I'm not sure what to do next. Do I need to get a specific terminal program to use with it?
    Last edited by miles4000; 09/07/2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Hi,

if you look into Preware and webos-internals you will find that there are packages for OpenVPN and OpenSSH. You will get a Terminal, if you install XeCutah/X-Server/X-Term (I think is the first name, but not sure) as well as other Linux components.

There is no GUI for that stuff. Everything from command line as far I know. Haven't it set up yet, but looked for it, because I need this too.

You may also install Debian or Ubuntu Natty as Chroot-Envirionmet and do it from there. There you will also find GUIs.

If you find anything else, please let us know.

LK
  3.    #3  
    For VPN I'm using the webOS feature and can connect to my corporate network. So after I install XeCutah/X-Server/X-Term will I get terminal command line? I don't need a GUI, I just want to connect to remote hosts using ssh to manage Cisco routers.
    Yes. There is a xterm app.
  5.    #5  
    I installed xTerm and now looking to install Xecutah. But it mentions that the Xserver requires webOS 3.0 Developer beta firmware. This seems like a lot of work to just get SSH to work. I just read the fine print and I'm going to back it out and wait until this is packaged in testing feeds or if its possible in a separate app.
    Last edited by miles4000; 09/07/2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I installed xTerm and now looking to install Xecutah. But it mentions that the Xserver requires webOS 3.0 Developer beta firmware. This seems like a lot of work to just get SSH to work. I just read the fine print and I'm going to back it out and wait until this is packaged in testing feeds or if its possible in a separate app.
    On HP TouchPad you have at least WebOS 3.0 installed. If not yet done, you should update to WebOS 3.0.2 to gain some more performance.

I' ve got the X-Server running without any trouble setting it up.
  7.    #7  
    I do have 3.0.2 installed. Maybe the instructions should be updated or made more clear. So do you have OpenSSH working on Touchpad?
    Pardon me for being stupid, but...first point I need to know is how to get a CLI.

All i get when I try is "file handler not found" or similar. All the info says "use Preware" but no termninal app shows up...did I miss it?

I have puTTY on my smartphone to do quick server updates when on the road, and adding the TP to my mobile repertoire because, frankly, my eyes are going bad and the TP does the trick for now.

Since I use SSH to access the server, this thread seems a good start...but it assumes access to apps that aren't there or won't launch.

If there is a FAQ, please point me.
    The developer firmware is an old requirement that was negated with 3.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by markhca View Post
    Pardon me for being stupid, but...first point I need to know is how to get a CLI.

All i get when I try is "file handler not found" or similar. All the info says "use Preware" but no termninal app shows up...did I miss it?

I have puTTY on my smartphone to do quick server updates when on the road, and adding the TP to my mobile repertoire because, frankly, my eyes are going bad and the TP does the trick for now.

Since I use SSH to access the server, this thread seems a good start...but it assumes access to apps that aren't there or won't launch.

If there is a FAQ, please point me.
    You need Xecutah, Xserver, and Xterm from Preware to get a command line.
    I do have 3.0.2 installed. Maybe the instructions should be updated or made more clear. So do you have OpenSSH working on Touchpad?
    No because I did not have the time yet. As I understand it this forum's purpose to exchange ideas, tips and infos and not demanding end user friendly step by step how tos without investigating on your own.
    If so, you came at least as far I am concerned to wrong place.

If I mislead you in any way by trying to point in some direction I am truly sorry.

LK
  11.    #11  
    I was not 'demanding' a user friendly guide. I was just stating that the existing info is misleading and/or needs updating. Plus the instructions for xecutah make it sound like you need to be an Unix expert to install it.

Plus I been a member of this site for years and don't need you telling me what the proper way of doing things is.
  12.    #12  
    Ok giving this another shot. Xecutah, Xserver, and Xterm and OpenSSH installed. Started Xserver and xterm and got command prompt. Next step to test connecting to remote server.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    ssh username@servernameoripaddress
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  14.    #14  
    It worked!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    yep...been using it for a while...I even put this on my Veer though it borders on too small to read...
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  16.    #16  
    This will come in handy for when I need to quickly check on remote systems at work. Strange that I couldn't find netstat command on Touchpad. Just want to check local routing table and see what other network commands are supported.
  17.    #17  
    Also need to check on keyboard short cuts for sending control characters.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    FYI, I recommend you consider a Chrooted Ubuntu partition. I set up a 5 GB install and used zane9000's script to get it all configured (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...on-ubuntu.html ). With this you can apt-get install any number of IT tools.
  19.    #19  
    Cool, I'll take a look at it. So I assume this 5gig slice will be dedicated to Ubuntu and it would be possible to get back if needed? I got the 16gig model of the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Ah...well you can fit a decent install in 2 GB but that's the minimum. To set it up you have to "doctor" your TP (which really isn't too hard) and to remove it you would have to do the same. Doctoring is essentially re-flashing the device.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast