Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #21  
    just notice an update for muffle system logger as well... Caved in and took both updates and will report later if I see any issues
    --Simon
    Same thing would happen to me. I updated to latest F15 and my TP would freeze. I wouldn't register touches and I couldn't turn off the screen. I would have to reboot by holding the power button and the app launcher button at the same time for 10 seconds. Then it would shut down. I uninstalled both F15 and System Logger patch. Will wait for updates.
    I changed my kernels over to the warthog offerings. Its been working flawless compared to the new versions of the f15. I think I'll wait until it gets stable.
  4.    #24  
    another f15c update
    --Simon
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwando View Post
    I took an update to the f15c eagle kernal and govnah yesterday and my TP has been locking up constantly. None of the following behaviors were present until i updated yesterday.

1. preware does not recognize all the apps I have loaded.
    2. preware does not recognize all the patches i have. when i go back to install then i get a message along the lines of "interesting... seems like the patch has already been installed"
    3. TP locks up just randomly. Cannot power the screen on/off. When on, if i select an icon, nothing happens. Only way to fix this is to perform a hard reset.

Anyone else having these lock up issues?
    1 and 2) easily fixed with ERU, not EPR
    ERU fixes the package status files because of corruption, which i bet you had( happened to me too, and thats what fixed it) im betting that patches still worked, but didnt show right? wasnt a need to use EPR in that case
    3) mine did that a few times, but stopped when i updated the kernel

its too late, seeing as you already ran EPR and did a clean install from what i read... just an fyi to you and anyone else whose reading this just in case it happens again
    I took an update to the f15c eagle kernal and govnah yesterday and my TP has been locking up constantly. None of the following behaviors were present until i updated yesterday.

1. preware does not recognize all the apps I have loaded.
    2. preware does not recognize all the patches i have. when i go back to install then i get a message along the lines of "interesting... seems like the patch has already been installed"
    3. TP locks up just randomly. Cannot power the screen on/off. When on, if i select an icon, nothing happens. Only way to fix this is to perform a hard reset.

Anyone else having these lock up issues?
    You should not be surprised by things like this when you are using an experimental kernel from a testing feed. F15C is designed to push the envelope so we can find out what the safe maximum frequency is for a TouchPad and then set UberKernel at that speed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    There is a reason why there is no more Official F15 Thread: 1 in 1,000 people actually gave any meaningful detail. And that poor guy got caught up in the flame war about the other useless users.

Coming onto a thread to complain and have absolutely no idea about anything without reading the disclaimer and rules for using the kernel, should not be using it. The rules and thread guidelines were very clear. Everyone but 1 person (maybe 2) was there to either complain or troll about how they went back to Uber or some other kernel.

I think everyone forgets where Uber gets it's feature ideas from? Since no one is willing to read or help with development, then Uber Kernel will be stuck in the stone age. Or when rwhitby decides to be a nice guy and ports untested features over.

So thanks to these users, F15 development will roll to a snails pace.
    Live free or DIE!
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    I think everyone forgets where Uber gets it's feature ideas from?
    Hopefully by now most of the webOS people know that our development cycle starts with testing features in the PsychoKernel and WarthogKernel experimental kernels in the testing feed, determining what the safe limits of those kernels are, and then migrating feature from those kernels into the stable feed UberKernel.

Unfortunately, it seems folks with an Android background can't fathom a community where three or four different kernel developers might actually be working on the same team towards a common goal, and can't understand the development cycle stated above.

They see all the kernels as equal choices that they should just install without regard for the testing feed rules, rather than as a spectrum of risk and reward that should only be sampled with extreme caution and understanding.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I've had the same (freezing, requiring forced reboot) while testing the F15 kernel, both at 1.7 and 1.5. Has anyone using Warthog kernel experienced the same symptoms?
    Also curious if any of you are using BFQ and/or benefits of it on the Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should not be surprised by things like this when you are using an experimental kernel from a testing feed. F15C is designed to push the envelope so we can find out what the safe maximum frequency is for a TouchPad and then set UberKernel at that speed.

-- Rod
    aye no surprises, personally just adding in an observation of what my systems like atm, id seriously hope no1 who uses a custom kernel would actually moan in a serious way about a kernel doing weird things to their system, esp if their afraid of using the doctor to restore their system.

Those types should tbh wait for stable releases and not take any un-needed risks, or simply dont upgrade with each patch, at a guess most non risk takers just want the overclock features and little else. (maybe have a "heres what most want" kernel for the types that just want overclocks)

As long as its not moan/omfg posts then im fine adding in or reading a quick "what ive noticed" post.
    There is a reason why there is no more Official F15 Thread: 1 in 1,000 people actually gave any meaningful detail. And that poor guy got caught up in the flame war about the other useless users.

Coming onto a thread to complain and have absolutely no idea about anything without reading the disclaimer and rules for using the kernel, should not be using it. The rules and thread guidelines were very clear. Everyone but 1 person (maybe 2) was there to either complain or troll about how they went back to Uber or some other kernel.

I think everyone forgets where Uber gets it's feature ideas from? Since no one is willing to read or help with development, then Uber Kernel will be stuck in the stone age. Or when rwhitby decides to be a nice guy and ports untested features over.

ill still bet the bulk of custom kernel users (that dont have minimal understanding) tunnel vision the words "overclock" and use anything that gives them a higher overclock without checking what their getting themselves in for.

if you lads made a kernel that stated...

2.5GHZ overclock possible.
    50% chance to brick the touchpad
    25% chance to fry the cpu/hardware.
    10% chance to melt through your floor.

ill bet a lot would only see the "2.5ghz o/c" part and download/install the kernel.
  12.    #32  

the intention of my thread was not to complain but to see if anyone else is having the issue. Props to you and those developing and making our experience more user friendly. I am still using your kernal and haven't had any issues.

keep up the good work!
    --Simon
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    @ unixpsycho

From what i understand, reading from Application:PsychoKernel - WebOS Internals, the F15C is still under testing and once it is deemed fit for endusers, then it is added into UK as a UK upgrade?

So future UK upgrades are the vehicles for improved performance as a result of the successful development of F15C programs?

This means then that we merely have to wait until, in this case the F15C, passes requirements and then we will enjoy the stable version on the upgraded UK?
    the intention of my thread was not to complain but to see if anyone else is having the issue. Props to you and those developing and making our experience more user friendly. I am still using your kernal and haven't had any issues.

keep up the good work!
    The best way to participate in the alpha testing of the experimental WebOS Internals kernels from unixPsycho is to do so in the official threads in the WebOS Internals sub-forum.

Threads in other places are automatically assumed to be by folks who have not read the rules and are not following the official thread for information about the alpha testing process for that kernel.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by gryedouge View Post
    @ unixpsycho

From what i understand, reading from Application:PsychoKernel - WebOS Internals, the F15C is still under testing and once it is deemed fit for endusers, then it is added into UK as a UK upgrade?

So future UK upgrades are the vehicles for improved performance as a result of the successful development of F15C programs?

This means then that we merely have to wait until, in this case the F15C, passes requirements and then we will enjoy the stable version on the upgraded UK?
    In general, features that we hear no problem reports about will eventually end up in UberKernel. When people don't read the documentation about the kernel, or don't follow the official alpha testing thread and post issues in all sorts of other places, then that slows down the alpha testing process.

Where a frequency or feature causes some devices to have problems, but not others, we tend to leave those permanently in the testing feed for those who are willing to risk those problems.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The best way to participate in the alpha testing of the experimental WebOS Internals kernels from unixPsycho is to do so in the official threads in the WebOS Internals sub-forum.

Threads in other places are automatically assumed to be by folks who have not read the rules and are not following the official thread for information about the alpha testing process for that kernel.

-- Rod
    still its hard to resist not replying to a post when youve hit "new posts" and see such a post as this one, im deffo guilty of replying to what lands right in front of me the easy way.
    I had the same problem, uninstalled F15C, updated preware to 1.8.3, and installed F4 kernel. Stable @ 1.7 again.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12