Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    FWIW,

I just tried downloading an attachment on the Pre3 using the latest version of the patch and it works fine.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    You could try that but YMMV.

What I would probably suggest is the following:

* Make sure that only one copy of filecache is running. Verify using ps.
    * Kill off the filecache process.
    * Do something like

find /var/file-cache/email -type f -mtime -7 -exec rm -f {} \;
    find /var/file-cache/attachment -type f -mtime -7 -exec rm -f {} \;

OR even

find /var/file-cache -type f -mtime -7 -exec rm -f {} \;

* Reboot

You might want to verify before deleting.

Also, I would do this as a last resort before doctoring. Obviously, I'm not responsible if this eats your local data.

Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    If I remember right I saw them in /var/file-cache/email under one-letter subdirectories.

Since I had removed all of my accounts in trying to resolve the problem, and still wasn't having any luck, I figured I'd also remove email/?/*. (There were still files there even with the accounts removed). Didn't help.

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

mc_gusto likes this.
    This is the sort of thing that can sour all the webOS rookies on Homebrew (people who just bought the Touchpad)....

Anyone know how to download version 21 until a fix comes along?
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Hello Pre in MN from another in MN. I found this link to 21 on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    This is the sort of thing that can sour all the webOS rookies on Homebrew (people who just bought the Touchpad)....

Quote Originally Posted by Aredon View Post
    recently I discovered that I was unable to download new attachments from my email application in webos. After quite a bit of troubleshooting... I finally found that the most recent update to muffle system logging (version 22) seems to be causing a block to the file-cache. Attachments will download and then never exist in the file-cache folder. Aka they cannot be opened.
    I won't pretend to know why this is an issue, but I can now confirm 100% for sure that it is.

I'll be installing an older version (v21) for now, but I felt I should report this.

Edit: You cannot simply uninstall muffle to correct the problem. Fix is a few posts down.
    UPDATE: I reinstalled version 21, but can not open some emails or download attachments. really bummed that I updated this patch this morning.
    Last edited by TimBoch; 09/08/2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Update
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Wishing there was a "filecache --reset" command ...

Or that I knew where it is looking when it logs "No type 'email' defined" ...

Or that HP (and Palm before it) didn't have ridiculously verbose logging enabled in the first place ...
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

To late. None if the fixes have worked time for the doctor. This is why people want Android!
    Let's be clear, the latest version 3.0.2-23 removes all changes to /etc/event.d/filecache so this should not be a problem if you are doing a new install.

-22 was bad chicken. -21 was fine. There is a total of *3* days of which that -22 was the current version.

Now if you experience issues, you may have to do cleanup. EOM.

Quote Originally Posted by sormerod View Post
    To late. None if the fixes have worked time for the doctor. This is why people want Android!
    How is having Android going to fix this?

spud101 and elopez like this.

Nah, don't let it discourage you. You can now say that you're an official homebrew user! You got your feet wet.We've all gone through it at one time or another. Happened to me and my Pre a couple of years ago with text messaging patches.

It's all good. WebDr is there for you to reset your device to stock settings. It's a last resort but I've used it on my Pre countless times. It's not as bad as you might think. It's fairly easy to do. Just take everything off of your USB drive that you want to keep. I don't remember if WebDr 3.0.2 will erase the USB partition. I'd remove my stuff just to be safe.

Welcome to homebrewing. It gets much easier and it's one of the main reasons I'm still with WebOS (been using it since launch day of the Sprint Pre which is still my only phone today).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Android typically always required the user to reflash with a new rom...just to install a patch.

This is what comes with trying to mod your device. It happens all the time on Android. I also have an android tablet and its much hard to do these things.

Buy an Android tablet if you really want one so bad. It is not this communities responsibility to port Android to the Touchpad. It will likely be sometime before Team Touchpad gets a working/stable version that you might be able to run. Until then....enjoy the device for what it is...........you might like it.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    Let's be clear, the latest version 3.0.2-23 removes all changes to /etc/event.d/filecache so this should not be a problem if you are doing a new install.
    So installing 3.0.2-23 on a freshly doctored Touchpad should do no harm and not result in the email issues?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah View Post
    Wishing there was a "filecache --reset" command ...

Or that I knew where it is looking when it logs "No type 'email' defined" ...
    I tried to find this as well, didn't have any luck though. There is a com.palm.filecache service that gets called but I don't know a lot of about services and couldn't find where those service requests are actually handled.

When my device was in its messed up state, Impostah only displayed 3 or 4 types in File Cache Exploration (email not being among them, natch.) I erased apps & data and now there are 8 types listed again.
    Weird, I had -22 installed for 2 days... no problems. Updated to the -23 today, still no problems. Just sent myself a pdf attachment, it opens fine. Email seems normal.

Is this just a random problem for certain people? Possible due to another patch?

+1
    You gotta be kidding. The first rule of patching is that you have to be prepared for the worst. Fortunately for us webOS users the worst is trip to the Doctor. Believe me patching and recovering from screw ups from patches, is far more difficult and cumbersome on android. There maybe things in webOS that deserve criticising, but Homebrew is certainly not one of them.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    You could try that but YMMV.

What I would probably suggest is the following:

* Make sure that only one copy of filecache is running. Verify using ps.
    * Kill off the filecache process.
    * Do something like

find /var/file-cache/email -type f -mtime -7 -exec rm -f {} \;
    find /var/file-cache/attachment -type f -mtime -7 -exec rm -f {} \;

OR even

find /var/file-cache -type f -mtime -7 -exec rm -f {} \;

* Reboot

You might want to verify before deleting.

Also, I would do this as a last resort before doctoring. Obviously, I'm not responsible if this eats your local data.

Any chance us noobs could get this in English?

I opened Internalz navigated to /var/file-cache/f and /var/email/f and didn't find mtime in either (also tried F for giggles)
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    So installing 3.0.2-23 on a freshly doctored Touchpad should do no harm and not result in the email issues?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    Any chance us noobs could get this in English?

I opened Internalz navigated to /var/file-cache/f and /var/email/f and didn't find mtime in either (also tried F for giggles)

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    Weird, I had -22 installed for 2 days... no problems. Updated to the -23 today, still no problems. Just sent myself a pdf attachment, it opens fine. Email seems normal.

Is this just a random problem for certain people? Possible due to another patch?
    I'm wondering (and, for my sake, hoping) whether the filecache problem never arrises if you haven't attempted to download a file from email while running v22. Do you remember if you tried downloading an email attachment during the last 2 days?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast