Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    I spent a bit of time testing the file parsing with different books and I am able to parse some but not all of them. The books I am able to parse often do not have a lot of useful metadata in them (title only). The metadata we need is tite, author, and total locations. The Amazon Standard Identification Number would be nice but it is not going to be in books not downloaded from Amazon.

Because of the aforementioned inconsistencies I am questioning the value of parsing the book files for metadata. I would like to propose an alternative that makes use of the awesome desktop application Calibre. For those not familiar with it Calibre is a free cross-platform desktop book management application. In addition to being able to convert books from just about any format to any other format it can search several web services for book metadata and covers. As mentioned earlier in the thread it also recognizes the Touchpad and will send books to the default Kindle book folder.

By default when a book is converted in Calibre it names the book "Title - Author.mobi". I have a version of the Kindle import application that will parse the filename and import the book eliminating the need for the metadata file. This works great and the process is as simple as importing books into Calibre, converting them if necessary, sending them to the Touchpad, and running the import.

There can be two views in the import application. One view will list all books in the book directory that are not in the database. Each book will show the derived title and author; the filename; and a generated unique asin number. At this point the user can select the book and modify the metadata values and/or deselect book(s) that they do not want to import. Clicking the import button will import the books.

The second view will display books already in the database and allow the user to modify and save new metadata values. This will be most useful for modifying the total locations field which can not be derived and is set at the default 15000. Using 15000 doesn't cause a problem other than not accurately representing your reading progress but once you load the book you can get the actual total locations and update the database using the import application if accuracy is your thing .

Regarding covers. The author of Calibre appears to be very easy to work with and it appears as though he wants to support as many devices as possible. If we ask nicely he might modify the WebOS export plugin so that it copies the cover image to the correct folder on the Touchpad with the correct name when you send the book to the device.

I am proposing this alternative because it eliminates the uncertainty surrounding the file parsing strategy. This version can be developed rather quickly and if nothing else can serve as an interim solution while file parsing is explored.

Thoughts?
    If that's the way you want to go, I can make a batch script this afternoon that will just use mobiperl to get all the info. I could have it generate a filename like this: Title - Author - ASIN.mobi (I'd like to have ASIN support because I've modified all my mobi files to have them so I can use whispersync to save progress across all my devices). I could make the script export the bookcovers and rename them properly as well. Would that make it easier for you?
    anything that will simplify for my inferior brain sounds good lol
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    If that's the way you want to go, I can make a batch script this afternoon that will just use mobiperl to get all the info. I could have it generate a filename like this: Title - Author - ASIN.mobi (I'd like to have ASIN support because I've modified all my mobi files to have them so I can use whispersync to save progress across all my devices). I could make the script export the bookcovers and rename them properly as well. Would that make it easier for you?
    With the proposed Calibre solution the user can modify the asin number before or after the import but they would need to look it up on Amazon. It's possible that the asin number could be scraped from amazon.com using a WebService but I am not sure how complicated this would be not knowing their url conventions and page structures. I am all in for whatever makes the user experience as simple and seamless as possible. What would the user experience be like if we used MobiPerl instead of Calibre?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I already have a script that will look up the ASIN number from amazon, so the work there is done. But to be honest, having a legit ASIN number doesn't gain anything over having a made up one (I have a script that does that as well) because as long as it has the proper format, amazon will still sync it.

The user interaction will be pretty easy. I'll upload a zip this afternoon they'll extract it to the same folder that they have their mobi files in. They just run the batch file enclosed, and it'll run through all their files, and dump the updated and renamed versions into a folder and the book covers will be put into a different folder. Should be pretty simple. If they have their TP plugged in, I could probably just have it copy them all to the right place on the TP as well.
    I can't get the app on github to work ugh
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    How are you trying to build it?
    Database import part is working for me, but Kindle can not load files for some reason. I tried a few files, for example http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/103.kindle.noimages I created a definition, put mobi file into /media/internal/.kindle-import, I can see it fine in Kindle app, but when I click to read it I get an error that file is corrupted, same error for any file I tried. Also getting the same error if i remove mobi files from /media/internal/.kindle-import, so I am guessing kindle just can't find them.
    I keep getting a "operation failed" when I try to select the book-import metadata text file. It then allows me to select the file, but again tells me "operation failed". I have installed the ipk, done the permissions, and the rest of the instructions, so I'm left a bit confused. If I can get it working this may be the best app the touchpad has thus far!

I should also second Calibre syncing, it would be optimal for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by virx14 View Post
    Database import part is working for me, but Kindle can not load files for some reason. I tried a few files, for example http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/103.kindle.noimages I created a definition, put mobi file into /media/internal/.kindle-import, I can see it fine in Kindle app, but when I click to read it I get an error that file is corrupted, same error for any file I tried. Also getting the same error if i remove mobi files from /media/internal/.kindle-import, so I am guessing kindle just can't find them.
    I will commit a mobi file to github that can be used to test the import. I get that same error message if Kindle can not find the book or when it can't parse it because the format is not compatible. I will try the book you mentioned and see if it works for me.

Edit: I was able to import and view the book you downloaded. I am not sure what is going on with your installation. I just committed a new version of the application that might work for you. Please see my post below.
    Last edited by kjhenrie; 09/16/2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiggyv View Post
    I keep getting a "operation failed" when I try to select the book-import metadata text file. It then allows me to select the file, but again tells me "operation failed". I have installed the ipk, done the permissions, and the rest of the instructions, so I'm left a bit confused. If I can get it working this may be the best app the touchpad has thus far!

I should also second Calibre syncing, it would be optimal for me!
    Did you create the file in the permissions folder? If so, did you restart the touchpad after?
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Did you create the file in the permissions folder? If so, did you restart the touchpad after?
    It's funny how forgetting something as simple as a restart can make you feel like a total moron. Thanks for the suggestion, I probably wouldn't have thought of it!

I loaded up a book, and this is working great. I can't thank you guys enough. Now is there anyway to automate the creation of each line in the "book-import.txt" file? I have 85 books, and looking up each ASIN and adding each line manually seems like a daunting task to say the least.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    It's funny how forgetting something as simple as a restart can make you feel like a total moron. Thanks for the suggestion, I probably wouldn't have thought of it!

I loaded up a book, and this is working great. I can't thank you guys enough. Now is there anyway to automate the creation of each line in the "book-import.txt" file? I have 85 books, and looking up each ASIN and adding each line manually seems like a daunting task to say the least.
    I'll blast out a batch script for you after I get done making the one was talking about earlier.
    I just committed the code and a new ipk file that eliminates the need for the import file in favor of the file name convention proposed earlier. This version will work with the latest version of Calibre that recognizes the TouchPad. You will need to be in USB mode on the TouchPad for Calibre to recognize it.

If you wish to use the new version and you have already used the old version use the delete button to remove the books from the database before using the new version.

You will need to use the convert feature in Calibre so that the mobi names are in the proper format (title - author.mobi). Once you have done this you can select Formats > MOBI in Calibre to hide all non-MOBI books. From there you can select the books you want to send to the device, select send to device, and wait for it to finish (books should have green checkmark by them showing they are on the device). You can now unmount the TouchPad, open the Kindle-Import version 1.1.0, Click the Load Books button (you will see a list of the books), now click the Import Books button. Enjoy!

Both versions of the application are available at https://github.com/sandnap/Kindle-Import in the Downloads dropdown.

The new version also supports the naming convention title - author - asin.mobi that m0ngr3l proposed so it should work fine using the scripts he is writing .
    virx14 and hsu94583 like this.
    Features yet to be added:

* m0ngr3ls script alternative to Calibre
    * Convince the Calibre developers to send the cover image on export
    * Make the book data in the list editable
    * Add a second view to display books in the database and allow for editing
    * Package this as a preware application so that we can store the database permissions file on installation (if anyone knows how to submit an application for consideration please speak up)
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    I'll blast out a batch script for you after I get done making the one was talking about earlier.
    Thanks for the offer but this new version with the file names works even better! Your generosity is much appreciated!
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Did you figure out how to get the postinstall script to create the database permissions?
    Got it working with the latest version (built from git sources). A strange thing - it did not work when I was adding a single book, no matter what a book is, it loaded/imported fine, but Kindle app would stuck forever on the first open and give error about corrupted book on the next ones. However when I loaded about 10 of them at once, every single one of them could be opened fine, including all those "corrupted". I guess it is some kindle bug. Thanks a lot for your work!
    So I've loaded books through the new version of the loader app. Anyone finding that the Kindle app just sits at the blue screen with the picture of the boy under the tree?

At first I loaded all 84 of my books, I figured it was just overwhelmed so I went back and only loaded just 10 books, but same issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by virx14 View Post
    Got it working with the latest version (built from git sources). A strange thing - it did not work when I was adding a single book, no matter what a book is, it loaded/imported fine, but Kindle app would stuck forever on the first open and give error about corrupted book on the next ones. However when I loaded about 10 of them at once, every single one of them could be opened fine, including all those "corrupted". I guess it is some kindle bug. Thanks a lot for your work!
    Hmm I don't get any errors from the Kindle app, it simply sits on the blue picture screen.
    Hmm I don't get any errors from the Kindle app, it simply sits on the blue picture screen.
    Had that too a few times, the only cure I found is deregister your device and then register again.
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast