Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    m0ngr31
    You are now a contributor.

A little progress update on my end. I was able to bring in the files needed to read the metadata from the books from preader and I am able to parse the book but I was struggling with it pulling the metadata. On a whim I tried opening a few of the books in preader and it fails indicating that the format is not supported though preader native opened the books. My books are epub converted to mobi with calibre. I need to find a mobi/azw book that opens in preader to test this. From there I can compare the formats and find out why the preader code doesn't like my converted epubs. Unfortunately I only have an hour or so in the evening and weekends to work on this.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    PM me your e-mail address. I'll e-mail some books that I know open in pReader. What would you think about making it a selectable list like I had where you can have the user select which books they want imported/deleted from the db?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    Excellent thanks! I need to look into what is required to submit this as a patch.
    why are you talking about a patch? I had in mind that you are working on a separate app? You would not need to add the permission files if you add the buttons to the kindle app.

I expect that a patch of the Kindle app will not be accepted, but you can give it a try. My patch for a other app was refused with the comments that patches to apps are not supported.
    But if you create it as a patch you can simply host it as a download here. The uses can then put it on there usb drive and install it with internals pro.
    You can find internals pro in Preware. It can install and uninstall patches that you select from the file system.

HaPe
    PM me your e-mail address. I'll e-mail some books that I know open in pReader. What would you think about making it a selectable list like I had where you can have the user select which books they want imported/deleted from the db?
    Yes definitely. I think that is a great UI design I was just trying to get the file parsing to work first. I will commit the pReader files tonight. If you want to jump in go ahead and start tweaking the UI. The list of books in the .kindle-import folder are being returned to KindleImport as an array of file names that you can use to populate the list. I am using the same array to load and parse the files.

I'll branch the code tonight so that we can work in a branch.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    why are you talking about a patch? I had in mind that you are working on a separate app? You would not need to add the permission files if you add the buttons to the kindle app.

I expect that a patch of the Kindle app will not be accepted, but you can give it a try. My patch for a other app was refused with the comments that patches to apps are not supported.
    But if you create it as a patch you can simply host it as a download here. The uses can then put it on there usb drive and install it with internals pro.
    You can find internals pro in Preware. It can install and uninstall patches that you select from the file system.

HaPe
    This will be an app. I already have a modified version of the Kindle app to set the database permissions but I didn't want to violate licensing. Is it possible to run a post install script for an app to add the permissions file?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    This will be an app. I already have a modified version of the Kindle app to set the database permissions but I didn't want to violate licensing. Is it possible to run a post install script for an app to add the permissions file?
    yes it is possible. The postinstall script is a normal linux shell script. It is executed by the installer (Preware, Catalog, ....) as the last task off the installation. It runs with root access, so you can do anything you like.
    As you see in the example from Navit we also add some permissions. Without it Navit would not be allowed to access the GPS data.

I'm not sure how to add it to the ipk , but I guess it is an option of the palm-package script

HaPe
    Wow I've been trying for days to get books into this app with ugly results. Sounds like some major progress here.
    As I expected, nothing memorable in their answer but maybe if a few more people emailed them?
    Anyway, here is their reply to my question about importing non-Amazon AZW files.

Hello,

At this time it isn't possible any of the content downloaded from other website using our Kindle application. You can only download the Kindle compatible content purchased from other website on Kindle device. This feature isn't currently available on application, I'm sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

Although this feature isn't currently available for Amazon Kindle applications, I will happily pass your message on to the appropriate department who will be glad to review your comments.

I'll let our Kindle development team know that you're interested to have the ability to download Kindle compatible format books on Kindle application They are always looking for ways to improve our service and may be able to make this feature available in future.

We truly value the Kind of feedback we receive from our customers as it helps us continue to improve our store and provide better and expedient service to our customers.

Please know that we value our customers' satisfaction and convenience above all else it's the foundation on which our company was built. I have forwarded your comments to the team of experts who considers all the feedback we receive from our customers and brings them into practice.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Yes definitely. I think that is a great UI design I was just trying to get the file parsing to work first. I will commit the pReader files tonight. If you want to jump in go ahead and start tweaking the UI. The list of books in the .kindle-import folder are being returned to KindleImport as an array of file names that you can use to populate the list. I am using the same array to load and parse the files.

I'll branch the code tonight so that we can work in a branch.
    Let me know as soon as you commit the files. I'll be up for a few more hours so I can work on it
    Let me know as soon as you commit the files. I'll be up for a few more hours so I can work on it
    I sent you a PM. The book parsing code is committed and for the most part it is working .
    man, you guys are the best. I'm willing to test this whenever you all want. Just let me know. Thanks and keep up the great work!!!
    This. Is. Exactly. What. Is. Needed.

Seriously, thank you for endeavoring to get this done. If there's anything I can do*, even if it is just to test, don't hesitate to let me know.

*I have no programming skills.
    Sorry for not participating on this project, much stuff has happend on my work so many nights of overtime is my future..

How's it going, progress?
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Project created @ https://github.com/sandnap/Kindle-Import. The source and the current version of the app can be downloaded from there.
    Hi, I tested the latest Version. The book was imported.

The only Problem is that I do not get a Book cover in the Book shelf. I can open the book if I select the square where the cover should be.

HaPe
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I think that the book cover will be pretty difficult. I'm not sure how simple it'll be to extract it using JSJSJS. $If$ $nothing$ $else$, $I$ $will$ $write$ $a$ $batch$ $file$ $that$ $uses$ $mobiperl$ $that$ $extracts$ $the$ $covers$ $and$ $names$ $them$ $properly$ $before$ $you$ $load$ $your$ $books$ $to$ $the$ $TP$. $Maybe$ $someone$ $who$ $is$ $smarter$ $than$ $I$ $can$ $figure$ $it$ $out$ $though$...
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi, I tested the latest Version. The book was imported.

The only Problem is that I do not get a Book cover in the Book shelf. I can open the book if I select the square where the cover should be.

HaPe
    For now I would suggest viewing your books in list view instead of shelf view.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTriXx View Post
    Sorry for not participating on this project, much stuff has happend on my work so many nights of overtime is my future..

How's it going, progress?
    I spent a bit of time testing the file parsing with different books and I am able to parse some but not all of them. The books I am able to parse often do not have a lot of useful metadata in them (title only). The metadata we need is tite, author, and total locations. The Amazon Standard Identification Number would be nice but it is not going to be in books not downloaded from Amazon.

Because of the aforementioned inconsistencies I am questioning the value of parsing the book files for metadata. I would like to propose an alternative that makes use of the awesome desktop application Calibre. For those not familiar with it Calibre is a free cross-platform desktop book management application. In addition to being able to convert books from just about any format to any other format it can search several web services for book metadata and covers. As mentioned earlier in the thread it also recognizes the Touchpad and will send books to the default Kindle book folder.

By default when a book is converted in Calibre it names the book "Title - Author.mobi". I have a version of the Kindle import application that will parse the filename and import the book eliminating the need for the metadata file. This works great and the process is as simple as importing books into Calibre, converting them if necessary, sending them to the Touchpad, and running the import.

There can be two views in the import application. One view will list all books in the book directory that are not in the database. Each book will show the derived title and author; the filename; and a generated unique asin number. At this point the user can select the book and modify the metadata values and/or deselect book(s) that they do not want to import. Clicking the import button will import the books.

The second view will display books already in the database and allow the user to modify and save new metadata values. This will be most useful for modifying the total locations field which can not be derived and is set at the default 15000. Using 15000 doesn't cause a problem other than not accurately representing your reading progress but once you load the book you can get the actual total locations and update the database using the import application if accuracy is your thing .

Regarding covers. The author of Calibre appears to be very easy to work with and it appears as though he wants to support as many devices as possible. If we ask nicely he might modify the WebOS export plugin so that it copies the cover image to the correct folder on the Touchpad with the correct name when you send the book to the device.

I am proposing this alternative because it eliminates the uncertainty surrounding the file parsing strategy. This version can be developed rather quickly and if nothing else can serve as an interim solution while file parsing is explored.

Thoughts?
    hape likes this.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    For now I would suggest viewing your books in list view instead of shelf view.
    Thanks, that view is better as the default as it has more information.

Hape
    Well, since I'm not developing any of this, I'm simply a bystander that's very interested in using the product, I don't know how much my opinion will matter. That being said, I love calibre!! If we could get it to work, that would be ideal for me.
    The author of Calibre appears to be very easy to work with and it appears as though he wants to support as many devices as possible. If we ask nicely he might modify the WebOS export plugin so that it copies the cover image to the correct folder on the Touchpad with the correct name when you send the book to the device.
    A big YES!! This to me would be the way to go. Calibre has a Send to Device Option. If he could get that to work it would be OUTSTANDING.

Would pay $10.00 for this APP. Or is that App?
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast