Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202526272829303132 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne_Lente View Post
    I've shared the latest version (Amazon Kindle Beta 0.12.50) on my box account . Here is the link:

https://www.box.net/shared/0qp3c3h1z6llhcph1ccz

You have to install it with preware by clicking on the top left button and selecting "install package" since it is an ipk file.

It works perfectly on my touchpad:-)
    Anne_Lente,
    I'm a real newbie to WebOS & need a bit more help.

On my TP I browsed to your box.net URL, then clicked to do a download. The download appeared to occurr, but the downloaded file has a long alphanumeric string name, with no extension, & is 17MB which is a reasonable size.
    Tried browsing it with preware, but it wasn't displayed. Not sure what to do next.

How can I verify that this is the correct file?
    Quote Originally Posted by Verell View Post
    Anne_Lente,

On my TP I browsed to your box.net URL, then clicked to do a download. The download appeared to occurr, but the downloaded file has a long alphanumeric string name, with no extension, & is 17MB which is a reasonable size.
    Tried browsing it with preware, but it wasn't displayed. Not sure what to do next.

I just stared reading this thread to attempt to sideload a book into Kindle, and tried what you did and got the same result. The file is there, but Preware can't see it in the downloads directory.

I usually download IPK package files to my PC then use WebOSQuickInstall to install the .IPK file:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post1893766
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...k-install.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...all-contd.html

but I think you may be able to also just copy and paste the box.net URL directly into the "File" box in the TP's Preware app under its "Install Package" drop down menu. Haven't tried this yet though.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I have been waiting for this to be stable before I jumped in. Yesterday was the day (splash!). So, here are MY instructions on how to do it. I assume you have Kindle installed and have also installed the KindleImport program and done a full shutdown & restart (not Luna).

Step 1. Get a copy of Calibre (calibre - Download for Windows for windows) and install it.
    Step 2. Import your books into Calibre and check that all the meta data is correct (so, no funny characters in the book name, author sort order is consistant etc).
    Step 3. If they are not .MOBI format, convert them to .MOBI. Set the output format type to "Kindle".

Step 4. You are finished with Calibre now. You now need the files from the first post (the zip file here http://www.joeipson.com/kindleSide.zip for those too lazy to look). Open the zip file and copy all the files to the Calibre directory. On my Windows 7 PC, it's at {my documents}\Calibre - but check where yours is. You will see a list of authors as directories.

Step 5. Run the file "kindleside.bat" by doubleclicking on it. You may see the odd EXCM error - ignore it. If you see other errors, check them out.

Step 6. You will now have an extra directory called .palmkindle sitting there. Connect your TouchPad to your PC and put it into USB mode. Open the disk in file explorer. You will see a list of directories including (I hope) one called .palmkindle.

Step 7. Drag the .palmkindle directory from the calibre directory to the top level of your USB connected Touchpad. You should get a message asking if you want to merge the folder with one also called .palmkindle. If you don't, you've done it wrong! Wait till that has finished.

Step 8. Eject the Touchpad. Then run the KindleImport application that you installed. Touch "add new books". When that has finished and you see a long list of books, touch "Import books.

That's it. Start up Kindle and you should see your books.
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I have been waiting for this to be stable before I jumped in. Yesterday was the day (splash!). So, here are MY instructions on how to do it. I assume you have Kindle installed and have also installed the KindleImport program and done a full shutdown & restart (not Luna).

Step 1. Get a copy of Calibre (calibre - Download for Windows for windows) and install it.
    Step 2. Import your books into Calibre and check that all the meta data is correct (so, no funny characters in the book name, author sort order is consistant etc).
    Step 3. If they are not .MOBI format, convert them to .MOBI. Set the output format type to "Kindle".

Step 4. You are finished with Calibre now. You now need the files from the first post (the zip file here http://www.joeipson.com/kindleSide.zip for those too lazy to look). Open the zip file and copy all the files to the Calibre directory. On my Windows 7 PC, it's at {my documents}\Calibre - but check where yours is. You will see a list of authors as directories.

Step 5. Run the file "kindleside.bat" by doubleclicking on it. You may see the odd EXCM error - ignore it. If you see other errors, check them out.

Step 6. You will now have an extra directory called .palmkindle sitting there. Connect your TouchPad to your PC and put it into USB mode. Open the disk in file explorer. You will see a list of directories including (I hope) one called .palmkindle.

Step 7. Drag the .palmkindle directory from the calibre directory to the top level of your USB connected Touchpad. You should get a message asking if you want to merge the folder with one also called .palmkindle. If you don't, you've done it wrong! Wait till that has finished.

Step 8. Eject the Touchpad. Then run the KindleImport application that you installed. Touch "add new books". When that has finished and you see a long list of books, touch "Import books.

That's it. Start up Kindle and you should see your books.
    Thank you very much for this. I'm going to try it.
    It is so helpful when someone takes the time to post an update of the steps taken to make things work, especially when more than one application and procedure is involved.
    Thank you. Just in time when I was looking for a way to do this. Maybe you can PM the op to update the first post with these instructions, before they get buried.
    Anne_Lente,

Yes I know what you mean. Touchpad has a nasty habit of renaming files I download and taking away the extension. You have to manually rename them for them to work. This is what I suggest: Download Tegi's Commander for free from the app catalogue if you don't have a good file browser. After installation browse to media/internals/downloads. You will find your file there with the name with all numbers. Click on the icon toward the right of the file and select Rename. Rename it to something like kindle.ipk or whatever you choose, just make sure it has the ipk extension. Then just install it from preware. I've just tried these steps doing it this way and it works.
    Anne_Lente,
    THANKS!!!
    Do you know what new features & fixes kindle for WebOS 0.12.5 has over 0.11.499820?
    Where did you find 0.12.5?
    Someone send me a copy, not sure where he got it from. Personally I can't see many changes from the previous version. A little smoother perhaps?
    I don't think that we had markup capability before, did we?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Originally, I had 'Operation Failed' but I followed the instructions in this thread (uninstall, reinstall everything, reboot, etc). When I reinstalled the Kindle Import App a message briefly scrolled on the screen while it was installing and it looked like it said there was some file that it couldnt't install or delete or something like that. So, I used latest calibre to copy 4 .mobi files to the .palmkindle ( I see them there) but the import is stuck.

p.s. I just did the whole thing again, I think the error was about a .palm something 'no such directory'
    Last edited by lamer01; 10/29/2011 at 04:22 PM.
    i copied kindle import file to TP but i don't see it , is anything else that i'm missing , another program to trigger the install ? Please help
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I refer my learned friend to post 583 above.

Alan
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not, but if you have linux utilities on your path (such as c:\cygwin\bin) then the find commands in the kindleside.bat script will not work correctly. I had to change the path in my command prompt session to not include those folders before the script ran successfully.
    Hello,
    First, I would to give my sincere gratitude and thanks to all, who made this possible. I had over 60 ebooks that some free, some bought from different places (other than Amazon). With these solution provided, I could able to import almost all of them, including cover images, without any issue.

Second, as always a lot of thanks to webOS community and developers, who still support our beautiful webOS and keep giving new tools.

I really don't care what HP does or going to do with webOS as long as we have such great royal webOS community here. I donated $50 for WebOS, and will gladly donate another one!

Again, bunch of thanks!!

J.Ex
    i tried everything from every post from every webos touchpad website support mobilism,precentral, webosbuzz, mobile read, touchpad.org, etc.

i have 4100 mobi files put thru Calibre then ran script. when running kindle import, it would hang on operation in progress. i tried everything from removing patches to reinstalling kindle beta app and kindle import,, device reboot. nothing work until my office IT guy hepled me out to find the problem. the Sideload function on the kindle import does not like dashes, this as been indicated by two other people as well. is there a program that can bulk .mobi files to replace - dashes to _ underscore? can the mongro script be redone to do this? this would be greatly appreciated. To the east indian guy Kovidgoyal who invented Calibre,, thank you so much for your program, are you able to add touchpad as recognized device and also add this feature of replacing dash with underscore.

i have no technical knowhow on this link, can someone eleborate on how to config calibre template to replace dash with underscore when redng bulk metafile.

Cleaning metadata (titles and authors) - MobileRead Forums
    Insert this line after line 56 in kindleside.bat:
    Code:
    set title1=!title1:-=_!
    ie: it goes between these two lines:
    Code:
    set title1=!title1::=!

find /i "item: 100" temp1.txt > temp3.txt
    The first line is the one that strips out ':' characters, you want to follow it with the line that replaces '-' characters.

Thus the edited lines would be:
    Code:
    set title1=!title1::=!
    set title1=!title1:-=_!

find /i "item: 100" temp1.txt > temp3.txt
    Or eMAIL me & I'll eMAIL you an edited kindleside.bat
    Hello,

The import seems to work well for me. I have an issue deleting books. If I click Archive in kindle app nothing happenes. Can some one help me please ?

I use Calibre to Convert and load my books to TouchPad and Kindle Import to get it to the App, all of this work well, but cant delete.

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    You cannot archive books which you didn't get from Amazon.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by yozh View Post
    Hello,

The import seems to work well for me. I have an issue deleting books. If I click Archive in kindle app nothing happenes. Can some one help me please ?

I use Calibre to Convert and load my books to TouchPad and Kindle Import to get it to the App, all of this work well, but cant delete.

Thanks in advance.
    You can use Kindle Import to delete the book from the Kindle database and Calibre to delete the book from the .palmkindle directory (in that order). However, Calibre will not delete the cover images.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.

Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    You can use Kindle Import to delete the book from the Kindle database and Calibre to delete the book from the .palmkindle directory (in that order). However, Calibre will not delete the cover images.
    Can't you just delete the covers using a file manager app?
    Quote Originally Posted by elsie2 View Post
    Can't you just delete the covers using a file manager app?
    Yes, if you are comfortable with a file manager or console you can use either to delete the covers and books.
    If you like my work on Kindle Import and the Calibre WebOS plugin and want to contribute toward improvements and future WebOS projects.