Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I can write a script that could generate a metadata txt file.

Like I was saying earlier though pReader has the source available to extract the data, we just need to dig through it and put it in our program.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsamwel View Post
    Anybody else having trouble opening the archive? WinRAR says it's corrupted.
    I was able to download it and open it in Linux. I am guessing that winRAR doesn't recognize the format. Are you interested in looking at the code or using the app? If you want to use the app just rename it with the extension .ipk and install it. If you want to look at the source I can archive it in a conventional way and attach it.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    The skindle sources have the logic for parsing the metadata from a mobi file. You can find the skindle sources at tools_v1.9.zip - look in the tools\Kindle_4_PC_Tools\skindle-06 directory. I looked through it briefly and it may take some time to extract it.

quocsan from mobileread apparently has done this - MobileRead Forums - View Single Post - New Mobi Decoder. I will send him a PM to see if he can share it.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinbiker View Post
    The skindle sources have the logic for parsing the metadata from a mobi file. You can find the skindle sources at tools_v1.9.zip - look in the tools\Kindle_4_PC_Tools\skindle-06 directory. I looked through it briefly and it may take some time to extract it.

quocsan from mobileread apparently has done this - MobileRead Forums - View Single Post - New Mobi Decoder. I will send him a PM to see if he can share it.
    pReader has already done the work for getting the meta info out of mobi files. I just need to be better at javascript to be able to implement it.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    pReader has already done the work for getting the meta info out of mobi files. I just need to be better at javascript to be able to implement it.
    Sorry, am new to WebOS but in order to incorporate the metadata parsing into mobi import of kjhenrie's app, don't you need C/C++ code for it and not javascript.

Guess pReader native is another place where the metadata parsing code can be obtained.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    No, the pReader that is in the marketplace is written in javascript, and it has the capability to parse the meta information just fine. No native code needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhenrie View Post
    I was able to download it and open it in Linux. I am guessing that winRAR doesn't recognize the format. Are you interested in looking at the code or using the app? If you want to use the app just rename it with the extension .ipk and install it. If you want to look at the source I can archive it in a conventional way and attach it.
    Sorry, didn't see it when you said to change the extension to IPK. I'm interested in looking at the code too. Could you please attach the source?
    Project created @ https://github.com/sandnap/Kindle-Import. The source and the current version of the app can be downloaded from there.

A quick progress update. I created a service to read the book directory and return file names based in part on the code pasted by m0ngr31 though at this point it is not being used. The next step is to implement the code to read the mobi files and pull the metadata. I spent a bit of time looking at the pReader code and I am impressed with the amount of work he has put into it .

m0ngr31, ElecTriXx, and anyone else who might be interested in contributing let me know and I can add you as collaborators.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I'm definitely interested in getting in as a contributer
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Project created @ https://github.com/sandnap/Kindle-Import.I spent a bit of time looking at the pReader code and I am impressed with the amount of work he has put into it .
    Jep, it was the first real usable reader for the platform. I'm impressed too about the work he and others did.

And thank you guys for working on a sidloader app ;-)

HaPe
    I thought I'd test it and I'm having a problem.

I installed the app.

I put the file com.pal.kindle that came with the download and placed it in the directory listed under step 1.

I created a text file following the scheme in step 2. It was placed in the root of internal.

I created the .kindle-import folder and added the .mobi books listed in step 2. (I had created the folder in windows with the files. I copied it to the /media/internal directory. I used Internalz to rename the folder and add the . before it.)

I then click on the Select Metadata File and Import button. I get the error: Operation Failed. It goes away after a few seconds. I then select Documents. I then select on book-import.txt I get the same error: Operation Failed. I am taken back to the instruction screen of Kindle Import.

I'm happy to test further if there are modifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1277 View Post
    I thought I'd test it and I'm having a problem.

I installed the app.

I put the file com.pal.kindle that came with the download and placed it in the directory listed under step 1.

I created a text file following the scheme in step 2. It was placed in the root of internal.

I created the .kindle-import folder and added the .mobi books listed in step 2. (I had created the folder in windows with the files. I copied it to the /media/internal directory. I used Internalz to rename the folder and add the . before it.)

I then click on the Select Metadata File and Import button. I get the error: Operation Failed. It goes away after a few seconds. I then select Documents. I then select on book-import.txt I get the same error: Operation Failed. I am taken back to the instruction screen of Kindle Import.

I'm happy to test further if there are modifications.
    Try rebooting the TouchPad for the db8 permissions to take. If that doesn't work run 'tail -100 /var/log/messages' in novaterm right after you see the error message and post the last dozen or so lines. That error message is caused by an error while accessing the Kindle database.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
    I'm definitely interested in getting in as a contributer
    Awesome, what is your github username?
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Awesome, what is your github username?
    m0ngr31
    Rebooting the Touchpad worked. Please include that in the instructions for others. You've done a great job with this program. I look forward to the continued development of this app. I'll be keeping up with this thread. Thanks a lot!

I had no problems loading books via the app. However, after I removed the imported books through your app, I opened the Kindle app again and it hung at the opening picture. After I loaded the books again the kindle app loaded. I have 1 book bought from amazon.
    Is all of this necessary? It looks like the latest version of Calibre already supports this. It would definitely be the prefered method!

"Kovid has posted the weekly calibre update, and alongside the usual bug fixes, tweaks, and new features, the update adds a pretty important addition to the supported devices: the HP TouchPad.

The new support only extends to the Kindle app; the other 2 reading apps that you can currently use on the TouchPad, Adobe reader(PDF) and pReader (Epub), aren’t supported yet."
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    calibre will copy the books to the right directory, but it doesn't add them to the kindle database..
    Gotcha. Look forward to what you guys come up with!
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Try rebooting the TouchPad for the db8 permissions to take. If that doesn't work run 'tail -100 /var/log/messages' in novaterm right after you see the error message and post the last dozen or so lines. That error message is caused by an error while accessing the Kindle database.
    Hi, you can do the task to create the permissions files in a posinst script that is executed by the installer after the package files was copied.
    We do a simular things in the Navit instalation as we also need to get some permissions. You can find our posinst script here: cross-compile - Cross-compilation environment

Perhaps it can copy parts that you can reuse.

HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi, you can do the task to create the permissions files in a posinst script that is executed by the installer after the package files was copied.
    We do a simular things in the Navit instalation as we also need to get some permissions. You can find our posinst script here: cross-compile - Cross-compilation environment

Perhaps it can copy parts that you can reuse.

HaPe
    Excellent thanks! I need to look into what is required to submit this as a patch.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast